Share Facebook

07-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
Miss Spencer

Vitamin D

Has anyone else seen this report?

“Canadian researchers have found that Vitamin D may be able to combat and even prevent symptoms related to Crohn’s Disease, a chronic inflammatory bowel disorder associated with diarrhoea, intestinal pain and weight loss.

The study, conducted at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Center, was originally designed to investigate the nutrient’s ability to treat cancer cells, but scientists discovered that Vitamin D had a beneficial effect on two genes associated with inflammatory bowel disorders.

Lead researcher John White and his colleagues found that Vitamin D supplementation forced a reaction in the beta defensin 2 and NOD2 genes, which alert cells to the presence of invading microbes. If NOD2 is deficient or defective, the gene cannot combat microbial attacks in the intestinal tract.

This discovery is exciting, since it shows how an over-the-counter supplement such as Vitamin D could help people defend themselves against Crohn’s Disease, said study collaborator Marc Servant”.

I only received the report last week. It is interesting because I have vastly improved this year and I wonder if Vitamin D has anything to do with it? I have never used a Vitamin D supplement in my life, apart from the last six months.

I have had a few firsts in 2011: Firstly, I am sleeping all through the night until the alarm goes off at 6am and this is occurring every single night. I often use to wake up at 4am for continual bowel movements over two hours, which was exhausting and annoying. Secondly, I no longer need to sleep on an old towel and ratty old sheets. I brought the most beautiful set of Egyptian cotton sheets in March, and have not soiled them. Thirdly, I have been wearing incontinent pads as a type of security blanket for years, but in the last few weeks I have felt confident and well enough to leave the house without them.

Since reading that report, I am now wondering how much of that is due to the Vitamin D supplementation? I increased my dosage a few months ago, so not sure if that had a dramatic effect, or it has just been a slow overall process.

I am going to get my Vitamin D levels properly checked with another blood test at the doctors, and then take the maximum safe dosage allowed per day.

Will report back in a few months.
07-02-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
peleburrows

Will report back in a few months.
Please do!

Good to hear you've improved.

I've tried to get my levels tested but for some reason the GP I asked and the gastro aren't bothered about doing it because I get a fair amount of sunshine each day.....i'll ask again
07-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
D Bergy

If it is working for you, stick with it. There is virtually no risk supplementing with vitamin D.

Dan
07-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
TwinkleToes

I love taking vitamin D, I take D3. Also, living in the Sunshine State helps me get the levels of Vitamin D that you can only get from the sun.

Runner (Completed over 15 5K's, and one half-marathon!), Horseback Rider, Lover of the outdoors (especially when restrooms are around, wifey and Mama to two rescue dogs.

Medications:
4G Pentasa/day
40mg of Humira every week
175mg of Imuran daily
Prenatal Vitamin, Calcium/Magnesium, Iron/Vitamin C
07-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
denisk

I just love being out in the sun and the tan is a bonus.
07-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Astra

My Support Groups:
I recently read an article called 'Is everything you thought you knew about sun safety wrong?

It talks about the how the sun safety message has sunk in, but now they're debating about (and endorsed by cancer research) that 30 mins sun exposure a day boosts your Vit D and by covering up means you're missing out on a vital nutient.
Vitamin D is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth, lowers the risk of MS, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and it's anti inflammatory, creating a calming effect in auto immune diseases where the body attacks itself.
Rates of osteoporosis and rickets are rocketing in the UK, and it's all down to vitamin D deficiency because people are so paranoid about sun exposure.
We make vitamin D in the Summer months, April to Sept, between 10am and 3PM, the ones we've been told to avoid!
So, you need half an hours unprotected sun exposure every day, and you don't need to stay out for 30 mins in one go, your quota can be broken up throughout the day.
So, it's up to you to decide how you boost your vit d levels, whether it's with a supplement or a moderate approach that includes a few guilt free rays!
Just don't burn!

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

07-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
outlier

My Support Groups:
like everything else it's about moderation. Sometime in the sun with out sunscreen is good. Too much is bad. Moderation doesn't work in headlines. but it works for nearly everything
No more sulfasalazine, Methotrexate, Xibrom, Pred Forte and Iron
07-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
IAmTheWalrus

My Support Groups:
Very interesting, I came across a similar article a little while back. I myself take Calcichew D3 Forte two times a day.

Current Meds: Remicade, Imuran.

Risk/Benefits of treating Crohn's. Link below

http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/risk...transcript.pdf
07-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #9
kennethmiller12

Thanks for such a nice information as all vitamins are important for health and can get from various food supplement. Vitamin D can be get directly from sunlight.
07-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Miss Spencer

Funny thing is: I get a lot of sun due to my travelling overseas, but I am still classed as deficient. According to my doctor, most people who who live in hot climates, are actually still deficient. Apparently, most people who live in hot climates are deficient because they use sun lotions whilst out in the sun.
07-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Nice article.

I know for me that D3 helped my gut health quite a bit. What I do is take 6000ius a day for a testing value between 60 to 70ng/ml. Thought this was a nice article by a physician on how to supplement and test D3 circulating levels. He goes into details about what supplements work and those to avoid, along with how he has noticed with his patients that age effects our skins ability to manufacture D3.

"Getting vitamin D right"
http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/...n-d-right.html
07-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
sunflower

My Support Groups:
My Vitamin D is very low, but when I try to supplement with it, it causes me TERRIBLE joint pain. I took it for a long while, thinking I was helping myself. When the pain got worse, I would up the dose. Then I decided that the Vit D might be the source of my pain. I stopped taking it and got better. Went back on and started having trouble again.

My MIL thought I was crazy. She is the one that insisted that I go on it.

Then a few weeks ago we were talking and she let me know that she had a similar experience taking it. Anyone else have bad side effects? I can't find any on the net, but i experienced horrible hand pain and other muscles and joints ached. She had the same thing. It was very strange!
10-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
glory_h

My Support Groups:
I was curious about Vitamin D and Crohn's too, and found that same article.

I just started taking Vitamin D3 in a gel capsule. I live in the Pacific Northwest where we have very limited sunlight basically October through June, so I started supplementing last week in hopes of helping with my energy level in the winter.

I'll report back what I discover!
10-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
D Bergy

The response to vitamin D such as yours indicates a bacterial infection in the joints.

It likely is not the D itself that is causing the problem, but the boost in immune system response to the infection. People with Lyme Disease often have this problem, and avoid D for that reason.

I could not take D either when my flare was real bad. I also could not take my LDN as the ramped up immune system caused me more pain.

My wife, who had Lyme Disease also could not take vitamin D until the bacteria was greatly reduces. Her joint pain was very bad if she took any at all. Now she can use it again.

Dn
10-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Bit of vitamin D news I saw that might be of use.

"Steroid Medications Tied to Vitamin D Deficiency"

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/1...-d-deficiency/
01-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Miss Spencer

It is some months since I posted here. My computer broke down and I have only just had it repaired. Just a recap on my original post, I have been using the Vitamin D supplement for around one year and I have had a really good year UC wise. I have only had pain once in December after eating too much pudding. And I only lost control of my bowels twice, and both times were a direct result of too much alcohol consumption, otherwise things are going swimmingly. The Vitamin D seems to be working so far.
01-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #17
Erwin
Banned

Great post on vitamin D and like to share some benefits of vitamin D with everyone.
Vitamin D provides calcium balance in the body and makes bones, teeth and immune system strong. Vitamin D prevents from osteomalacia, high blood pressure, depression.
01-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #18
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Another benefit of vitamin D3 is probably lower rates of bowel cancer. It is observational, but saw this study yesterday.

Vitamin D again linked to lower colorectal cancer risk
High blood levels of vitamin D may lower the risk of colorectal cancer by almost 40%, and the effects were influenced by certain genes, says a new study from Japan.
The rest of the article is at:

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...al-cancer-risk
01-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
I C Red

Many people are D deficient and blood tests can show this, in which case supplementation will improve health a lot. Overdoses are extremely rare* (at mega high levels over 1,000,000 iu/week). Recommended doses are in the range of 14,000-40,000 iu/week. It is lipid soluble and accumulates so a daily dose is not needed. Some studies showed that in cases of D deficiency, sunlight was not always sufficient as its hard to get just the right amount of exposure to UV.

*Cases of overdose involved 'calcification', meaning calcium buildup in various tissues. They occurred when people took too much due to mislabeled quantities or mistyped instructions in over the counter supplements - eg. one guy was taking 10 pills a day and each pill had 10x the intended dose.

personal note: I take vitamin C as precautionary anti-inflammatory factor to balance the purported 'immune stimulation' of the vitamin D (just in case).

Burning daylight: balancing vitamin D requirements with sensible sun exposure.
Med J Aust. 2011 Apr 4;194(7):345-8.
01-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
lowone

My Support Groups:
About a year ago my regular dr checked my vitamin D level and it was around 30? and he said it should be at least double that. So he had me take a whole bunch.... Due to quite a bit of traveling during the summer I kinda forgot and stopped taking it.

Jump to December and about 1.5 weeks into starting Lialda my ankles and knees started to swell up and felt very painful... Internets said it could be 3 things; Crohn's, reaction to Lialda (aka kidney failier), or lack of vitamin D. Lialda was making things better so I wasn't going to stop it! so the only thing I felt I had control of/ability to effect was my intake of vitamin D. I started off doing what my DR originally said, 5 days at 10,000iu then dropped down to 4000iu "maintenance" every day.

Its just circumstantial evidence but after 7 days~ pain stopped, knee swelling was down and at 14 days later ankles were better too! Was it just me adjusting to Lialda, the restrictive diets, or the vitamin D.. Dunno!!

I haven't really discussed it with either of my doctors, but will mention it next time I see them. (though my instructions say I should consult them before taking any supplements) I have kinda settled on breakfast with Lialda, and dinners with 4000iu vitamin D, 500mg l-lysine, and every other day a B-complex (the later two cause the l-lysine always worked in past but is scary since it boosts immune response, and Bs for some cold sore/weird sores that formed in my mouth). They all seem to have done their jobs so hopefully that is it! (i just had my blood drawn at 7weeks for kidney and other stuff checked for reactions to Lialda so maybe more answers in a few weeks)

Side note, I too am in pacific north west so pretty low light exposure normally. Especially in winters I don't see light at work before sun is really up, and dark by time I head home. Summers I get to see the sun though but still not too much exposure. I spend my working hours in a dark basement lite only by computer monitors while forced to make them evil internet bits move.

edit - note2, Growing up and before I went off to college I worked on a farm all day. As such spent most days with out a shirt and driving a tractor(open to air, no cab) from dawn to dusk, that probably helped me a lot in comparison to my current job! haha! (though was exposed to quite a bit of random chemicals from sprays hmmm I will probably be well preserved someday)

Last edited by lowone; 01-28-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: adding a bit about my past....
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
David
Co-Founder

That's fantastic Lowone. Good job on taking that B complex for the mouth sores as well What do you take the lysine for out of curiosity?
02-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #22
lowone

My Support Groups:
The mouth sores also. It's something my mom swares by and definitely seems to shorten the duration of them.
02-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
bigtruck

I take 40000 units of d3 everyday as recommend by my gi
02-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #24
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

I take 40000 units of d3 everyday as recommend by my gi

40,000 units a day or 4,000? That's a huge difference. I would think 40,000 is way too much per day. I take 8,000 iu a day of D3 and my doc said that was a safe amount.
02-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #25
bigtruck

40,000 two capsules each contains 20,000 cholecalciferol vitamin d3.
02-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #26
Jeff

VITAMIN D IS HUGE!

I've had incredible results with Vitamin D. I don't consider it just a supplement--I think it's the best treatment I've had in nine years with Crohn's.

Last year (Feb. 2011), I went for a physical and again complained about fatigue. My doctor saw that my vitamin D was "a little low"--it was 24 ng/ml. (A lot of doctors consider 30-100 ng/ml "normal" and don't tell patients it might be a good idea to take more if they're in this range--but they should). So, I got prescribed 50,000 IU of Vitamin D2 once a week for 12 weeks. (Doctors typically use D2 to boost your vitamin D stores (perhaps because it has a much longer half-life in your body than D3), and then tell patients to take the recommended daily value of D3 afterward.

Anyway, my health improved DRAMATICALLY: Crohn's symptoms very significantly reduced; huge increase in energy, focus, productivity, and mood. My vastly improved status lasted for 2 months after I finished the prescribed high doses of vitD. The following month I didn't feel well--may have had bronchitis. Went and got my VitD level checked (3 months after I stopped the doses)--it was only at 38 ng/ml. I started supplementing again, but with D3 (I didn't know I'd been prescribed the D2 form). D3 worked great, at least initially.

I was stressed as I'd just started law school and may've taken too much D3 so I decided to stop for a while. I'm now considering taking high doses again. While the authorities online all claim D3 is a lot better than D2, I had a lot of success with D2, so it's difficult for me to know which to go with now.

I'd also like to note: A user that posted on crohnsboy.com has a remarkable Crohn's and Vitamin D story. Here it is, in 2 installments:

"Hi, its Mike from Nevada I want to say I was so sick from Crohns for almost 20 years, bleeding, couldn't leave the house because it was so bad. I read somewhere Vitamin D3 mighthelp, so I startedtaking it at 2000 iu a day then to 10000 iu a day. Its been about 3weeks now and everything stopped, I feel better than I did as a kid. If you do take the higher doses of D3 many doctors say you must check your blood levels so you don't overdose. Give It ashot its under 5 bucks at most any grocery store and let me know."
-http://crohnsboy.blogspot.com/2009/11/vitamin-d3-help-with-crohns.html

And here's a follow up from a year later:

"Doing good, still taking 10000 IU a day of vitamin D3.
Cur-cumin 5 pills 3 times a day.
Coffee is the only thing that messes me up, yet I cant quit
IT!!!!!!!!!Still no drugs I feel I will be 100% healed if I can just give
up the caffeine.
On and off scd."
-http://crohnsboy.blogspot.com/2010/09/vitamin-d-cure-great-book-highly.html
02-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #27
Jeff

40,000 two capsules each contains 20,000 cholecalciferol vitamin d3.
Big truck, how long have you been on that high of a dose? Have you noticed an improvement? Any side effects?
02-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #28
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Most people are Vitamin D deficient. Crohnies take it to a whole different level.I was taking prescription strength vitamin D before I knew I had crohns.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
02-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #29
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

We may try D2 as my fiancé is still at 19 blood level same as when she started supplementing with d3 months ago. (8,000 iu a day) I even force her to take magnesium which she hates the taste of.
02-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #30
bigtruck

Jeff I've been on that dose for a couple of months but because I've been through so much can't report any benefits but certainly no side effects, I was originally prescribed it when I had my ileo as I couldn't maintain magnesium as research suggests that d3 can help maintain it. Apparently their is actually a shortage of d3 at the min as all over the world people are keen to try out the reported benefits that many people have claimed.