Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?

11-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #361
Scaryman
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
For 14 years I was working in information technology until 2003 when I've diagnosed with Crohn's. Last January and I was Leque for my job due to Crohn's problems they call it attendants. Up until that point they were very supportive of me and allow to go to the bathroom quake frequently without asking too many questions. What will lead me to my separation was a lot of office politics. I miss information technology and helping others And working on servers and VPNs and whatnot. Long story short from what I learned from information technology is the stress level with Crohn's disease might not be a good mix. It depends on one's individualize mental health and physical health. Right now I work for the medical surgical company at a very low wage with very very bad pre-existing clause insurance coverage. But all it works out because of all financial aid that I get from hospitals and doctors is based on my income being minimum-wage. I hate being a taker from the system and relying on others like to be a productive member of society just like other people and pay my own way, but as anybody knows Crohn's is very unpredictable and does not always allow for that. I now live with a parent who also has the same disease is very supportive but has her limits. It's very stressful times but I try to make do just like everybody else.
Remicade- failed with infusion reaction.
Mesalamine-another failure
Entecourt - fail- no help.
currently on Methotrexate 25mg and Humira combo.
Folic Acid Supplement
Hyclosomine,Ultram,vicoden for pain as needed
Extended right Hemocolectomy 5/24/13 Univ.Of Chicago
11/7/13- small crohns ulcer at surgical site (active).
12-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #362
enumeras

I'm a medical biller. I just recently had to tell my boss about my illness since it's starting to flare up. What sucks even more is that they don't offer FMLA since our company is short about 3 employees to be eligible. I hope that since I explained what UC was that she will understand why I may be out. But it is scary considering having to leave my job because of this stupid disease..
Pyoderma Gangrenosum (2009)

Meds:
Imuran (2000 - current)
LDN therapy (started 1/3/2013)

Sx:
Sub-total colectomy ileo-rectal anastamosis (2007)
12-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #363
karisue

I work for Fire & Resuce, I do enjoy it. I work in an Office at HQ
12-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #364
believeinbeingwell

I work in IT. Hard to describe my job but just say I am a Web Researcher.

I work 5 days a week, 5 hours a day and I have a one year old baby (plus other kids) so I am finding my schedule too difficult to deal with. My boss is somewhat understanding but starting to get a bit fed up.

I see some of you are on disability support. I have applied, but am worried what that will do to my self image. Not sure I want to get paid for being sick.
12-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #365
Scaryman
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I work in IT. Hard to describe my job but just say I am a Web Researcher.

I work 5 days a week, 5 hours a day and I have a one year old baby (plus other kids) so I am finding my schedule too difficult to deal with. My boss is somewhat understanding but starting to get a bit fed up.

I see some of you are on disability support. I have applied, but am worried what that will do to my self image. Not sure I want to get paid for being sick.
Let me tell you from experience from another I.T. Professional. I worked in a stressful enviroment with lots of responsability. Crohns as we all know doesn't mix well with stress. You'll have to gauge your work related stress levels and see what you can do to lower it even if it means disability. I wish I can apply for ssi ( long screwed up story). I only responded to this because of my knowledge of it and the stress that comes with it.

I use to be on a helpdesk level III, and in the data center. So yeah that's partially why I got so sick. Hope this helps, it's not your fault you got a chronic autoimmune disease is it? Then utilize the aid that will be there such as ssi/ssd.
12-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #366
believeinbeingwell

Yes, Scaryman. IT is very stressful. We have quotas to fill and the job is INTENSE -as you know. Thankfully I work with really amazing people and we have a lot of fun otherwise I would NOT be there.

Thanks for the encouragement about the disability. I'll have to see if I get it in the first place.
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #367
Scaryman
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
No problem, you've paid into the system and deserve to look into it.
12-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #368
Pirate

I'm a cabinet builer for a local construction company.

Greg Yancer
Diagnosed w/ CD Febuary 1986
No surgeries
Current meds:REMICADE (CATS SCARE ME), Pentasa, Nexium, Probonics.
12-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #369
bunnyceleste

Ive worked retail in the health food industry for 5 years now. currently working in produce at a small family owned organic grocer. its laborious work but it makes me strong. so great as Ive used diet/supplements and alternative methods to deal with crohns and it is a really supportive and informative environment for that. also get a sweet discount on organic foods which is great for my pricey juicing habit!
12-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #370
ktp112

I'm a student studying architecture. Stress is a pretty big issue in the field of architecture, but I'm hoping I can go through with it, as I've wanted to be an architect my entire life. The program where I go to school is pretty competitive, which has been pretty stressful already. I've actually had to drop down to part time for this semester because of my Crohn's, but the Architecture department has been pretty accommodating towards my illness. As has the university, who actually gave me a 3000 dollar scholarship for having Crohn's...

Current Medications:
Suppliments and Vitamins
Trying to "go green"
12-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #371
ryanps

I work for a translation company. We translate all kinds of materials into and from foreign languages. We also proofread English only texts (brochures, web-sites, etc...).
12-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #372
Chally2

My Support Groups:
I'm am aircraft refueller, it can be difficult when I spend so much time on the airfield. In some parts I have to swipe through 8 locked security doors before I reach the toilet.

Last edited by Chally2; 12-09-2012 at 05:13 AM.
12-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #373
Calypso

I have had an office job for over a year but recently have been becoming increasingly sick. My boss is not understanding and the work environment was way too stressful so I put in my notice, I only have 1 week left. I am studying to become a sign language interpreter and hopefully I will be healthy enough to continue classes in the Spring '13 semester.
12-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #374
Danu
Forum Monitor

I'm a geologist and do environmental consulting. My schedule is really flexible with consulting and I can often work from home when my symptoms act up. My job does involve a good amount of field work, but I haven't had a problem with it yet. Everyone I work with is aware of my condition and very supportive. I love my job
Asacol
Prednisone
Cipro
Metformin
Supplements:
Daily Multi
Fish Oil
Probiotics
12-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #375
Calypso

I'm a geologist and do environmental consulting. My schedule is really flexible with consulting and I can often work from home when my symptoms act up. My job does involve a good amount of field work, but I haven't had a problem with it yet. Everyone I work with is aware of my condition and very supportive. I love my job
So Jealous! I LOVE geology and with my bachelor's I studied a lot of Environmental Anthropology - congrats on being able to keep your job
12-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #376
believeinbeingwell

consulting is also stressful cos you have to find your own clients etc. I am so on the brink of resigning. But i'm not sure if it will be more stressful for me at home - firstly - to not have money and secondly, I will miss my friends here - but the boss and the job itself - the amount of hours, is so so stressful for me. It is affecting my health!!

Dilemmas, dilemmas....
12-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #377
Deaton88

I graduated in 2011 with a BSc in mathematics and then started my teaching qualifications straight after. I had to drop out in April because of amounting crohns related health problems (Too many hours of planning, teaching, assignments, and lectures) The teaching of lessons themselves weren't too much of a problem; it was more the work that had to be done before and after each one, I didnt have the energy .

Had first surgery 6 weeks ago, feeling sooooo much better, need another surgery in about 2 months, but once healed up im gonna go straight back into teaching maths
Codeine
Tinzaparin
Colecalciferol
Magnesium aspartate
Omaprazole

Diagnosed with crohns 2006
Loop ileostemy Oct 2012
Removal of large bowl planned Feb 2013
12-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #378
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
I work for a translation company. We translate all kinds of materials into and from foreign languages. We also proofread English only texts (brochures, web-sites, etc...).
Well you look familiar! My twitter friend! Nice to see you in here!
Medications:
Remicade
Lexapro 30mg daily
Klonopin 1mg 2xday
Trazodone 150mg nightly
Lomotil(only as needed)

Tried & Retired:
Humira,Buspar,Effexor XR,Ambien,Prednisone(devil)

"Sometimes I think my life would make a great TV movie. It even has the part where they say,
"Stand by. We are experiencing temporary difficulties."
12-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #379
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
I was a daycare teacher..but recently had to quit my job because all the sickness around the kids, was not making me stay well. SAHM now.
12-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #380
Laura Dawn

I resigned from my position as an internal auditor for healthcare. I'm glad I did because I would have been fired anyway for being sick all the time. It blows!!
12-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #381
CDwontbeatme

My Support Groups:
My last job was a project manager in the tax department of a large company. Lots of stress, and to make matters worse my manager was not very sympathetic when I needed surgery due to complications from strictures. I resigned about 8 months ago. Now I'm a SAHM & I take the occasional contract work assignment. Much less stress & I feel much better.
12-20-2012, 05:33 AM   #382
believeinbeingwell

What's a SAHM? yes, less stress, that's good. I'm worried how I'll manage financially if I cut back my hours.
12-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #383
believeinbeingwell

I resigned from my position as an internal auditor for healthcare. I'm glad I did because I would have been fired anyway for being sick all the time. It blows!!
I'm about to be fired - well really this is my last month. They have been very understanding for almost 2 years, allowing me to work less than the minimum amount of hours. Now I guess it got too much for them. Oh well, some good HAS come out of it.
12-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #384
PeggyS

Hi! I hope I am doing this right. I am new here, and I am old. <G>. I have a sitting job and I am able to go to work very regularly unless 1) I have doc appointments or 2) I am in the hospital. But even after I get out of the hospital I just go right back to work!

Problem is: no bathroom in our suite! I have to walk 130 steps to the bathroom which I have counted many times!

Best wishes to you as you decide on a career. Remember that it's a reversible decision!

Peggy
12-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #385
CDwontbeatme

My Support Groups:
Believeinbeingwell - "SAHM" = Stay at home mom. My husband has a pretty good job with great benefits - otherwise I couldn't do it.
12-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #386
Momof2EW

My Support Groups:
And yes SAHM is awesome, esp if you have the husband who can handle it all. Im very thankful to do so.
12-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #387
CrohniePilot

My Support Groups:
I'm a corporate pilot. Got Crohn's in 1998.
12-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #388
Tenacity

My Support Groups:
I'm a corporate pilot. Got Crohn's in 1998.
Interesting - How do you handle flying a plane when you have a bad day? I know you have auto pilot, but for take off, and landings don't you have to be at the controls no matter what?
12-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #389
CrohniePilot

My Support Groups:
Interesting - How do you handle flying a plane when you have a bad day? I know you have auto pilot, but for take off, and landings don't you have to be at the controls no matter what?
I have a stricture at the terminal ileum. Never had lots of problems with the runs. I end up with blockage and pain instead.

I've just managed the symptoms. I'm careful, and lucky enough to have some control over my own schedule. It oddly seldom bothers me when flying.

The biggest issue is the competing goals of my health vs career. My GI has to write a report to the FAA every year about my condition. So, I find myself minimizing what I tell him. The FAA is pretty antiquated about the whole thing. It would be safer for them to lighten up because lots of pilots minimize and hide things for sake of their career.
12-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #390
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I went to college for graphic design, I'm not too shabby at it, though I was pretty terrible when I first got out and still have a long way to go.

I couldn't find anything in the field so I started looking at more basic minimum wage jobs. I bombed an interview at Guitar Center pretty bad, forgot everything I knew on the spot and made an ass of myself but that's typically how a first interview ever goes right?

I waited months and finally got another interview at a grocery store where I felt I nailed it but got the "why aren't you looking for a job in your field" run down and feel I was turned away for being 'overqualified' as in I went to college, despite never having had a real job, and thus they won't take me because I might expect better pay or quit for a 'real' job soon idk.

At about this point I had really bad symptoms, this was when my gluten intolerance started but of course I had no idea what it was just that I was incredibly ill. For a long time I'd been tottering on the idea that I'm sick but am I sick enough that it's fair for me to collect disability?

Well I hit the wall where I was so sick that it wasn't really a dilemma anymore, got approved pretty fast for SSI. I'm hoping to get on medicare/medicaid because my prescriptions are really expensive and I'd like to be able to pay for my own food so my parents don't have to.

Now I'm well but still unstable, if I have just a little of something I shouldn't, like a few granules of black pepper get on my food, I won't sleep that night, I'll be too busy on the can. That's just not something conducive to a work environment.

Before I got sick I was doing some contract work in design for a couple of guys that were starting up a t-shirt/informational business doing aggressive anti-racism speeches. I did some stuff, gave them about 4 final designs, they paid me a small but fair amount and then their business plan kind of fell through.

Well they contacted me earlier this month and want to get stuff started again, I'm wondering if this could be a risk to my SSI? It's not technically an income, it's pay per design, and I'm not even 100% on how many designs I'll be making but barely enough to put gas in the tank, let alone bills.

Anyone know about this? If it came down to it I'd do it for free just to be part of something.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?