• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed, Still a little overwhelmed

Hello.
After months of what seemed like bad dieting and anxiety, I finally decided to check with my doctor to see what the heck was going on. Then after the blood tests and colonoscopy, they came to the conclusion that it was chron's.
It's only been a month since I was diagnosed so there are still some things they need to check, like if it's also in the small intestines and what not.

But I have a question for some people her, my GI has me on pentasa 2x500mg and prednisone 25mg but those don't really create remission and he hasalready has told me that I'm going to have to under go biologic therapy due to the severity of my inflammation. Does that kind of treatment require constant doctor visits, because in sept I'm supposed to be going back to college and may not be able to depending on how intense the infusions are.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Mort! My son is on Humira and is doing quite well with it. He has bloods drawn every 3 months right now. Hopefully, whatever course you take will lead to remission and you should have no trouble going to school then...as long as you take care of yourself!! Good luck!!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am a bit confused. 25mg is a pretty low dose of pred. Most people start at 40mg. So, if your inflammation is so severe he wants you to start a biologic, why didn't your GI start you at a higher dose of pred? Pred can do wonders to get inflammation under control, and give you the time to get your maintenance meds leveled out. Of course, I am not a doctor, but they are good questions. Granted, if your GI thinks a biological is the route to go, then you should listen to his advice. And though you will have to be in close contact, I don't think it should interfere with school. To be honest, not taking the right treatment and getting worse would be much more of a hinder on your work load.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
He had me on 40mg at first. I'm at 25 now for the tapering. Probably started sometime in the middle of june.
Okay, that makes more sense. So, a round of pred hasn't worked. Perhaps you began to taper too quick. Sometimes people need to stay on the highest dose (40mg) for a few weeks before tapering to be sure the inflammation has been nipped in the bud. When people reduce too fast, sometimes they have to step back up the dose, and then try to taper again. Perhaps you may want to give this a try before starting a new treatment plan. But, of course, I am no doctor. So, if he/she is suggesting a biological is the next step, it is something to certainly consider.