• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update On Welsh-bird - Serious

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I have received a message from Andrea and she has asked that I pass this update onto you all...

Andrea had a scan of her lungs a few days ago and unfortunately it has confirmed that the cancer has spread there. This now also means that her cancer has been upgraded to a Stage 4.

Understandably this is devastating news for her and those who are close to her. She is so appreciative of the support she has received from the members of this forum and will continue to check in here when she is able.

Andrea has asked if we could please respect her privacy at this very, very difficult time and keep contact with her via this thread only.

Dusty.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
This is so sad. Andrea, you are still in my heart and prayers. May you find comfort and peace. Lots of love to you.

I don't know what to say other than she's always in my thoughts.

Thanks for the update dusty, do you know what the action plan is now?

Thinking of you and your family during this hard time! You have lots and lots of people praying for you around the globe!!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
This is so sad and horrible. I don't have the words to express how heartbreaking this is. Andrea has been through so much lately, it's just not fair. Andrea, if you're reading this, I'm sending you all the happy thoughts, hugs, well wishes, luck, and whatever else I can muster up. I will keep you in my thoughts, and I hope you are able to beat this!

LOSTnut

Poopy
Keep on fighting -- my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Terriernut

I'm praying for you Andrea. Wish there was something I could do for you. You know you need only ask.

Much love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree withe everything above. You are always in my thoughts Andrea and this is devastating news. But I know what you are like and I know that you will be fighting this completely.
If there is anything I can do to help at all please let me know
You shall continue to be in my thoughts and prayers over this difficult time
Much love
xxxxxx

Dusty: Thank you so much for the update.

Andrea: I hope you can find a place inside you to keep hope, vitality, and your spirit alive. You also have spark and spunk in spades, and so I hope you can find a way to keep kicking and screaming. And having a good cry.

Wishing you much tenderness, strength, and care as you and your family negotiate all of the news.

Sending you all the healing energy I can muster,

Kismet

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Do you know what the action plan is now?
They have now developed a more holistic approach to Andrea's treatment, that is, involving all the doctors that care for her, so her GI and GP are also on board with what is happening and can assist with her care. Andrea's GI is keeping a close eye on the CD side of things.

As you know the remaining cancer around her bowel, lymph nodes, has been removed and now the chemotherapy dosage has been increased and regime upgraded to deal with the secondaries in the lung.

Dusty.

:stinks: CANCER STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad2::mad2: :mad2: :mad2::mad2::mad2:

ARGHHHHHHHHHH

Possiive thoughts from Greece for Andrea.

and

:ymad::ymad::ymad::ymad::ymad::ymad::ymad::ymad:

for cancer

20-40% at 5 years...:(

Dusty.
I'm completely gutted for her.

At least there's still a chance. I hope she's still going to fight it.

How is she coping now, Dusty? It was nice to see her old self post last week, but that was before this news.

She really is the most inspirational person I know.

Andrea if you are reading this, I know that if anyone can beat this too, you can. You are a very strong lady. You have always been here to support me and I can never thank you enough.

I have you and your family in my thoughts and prayers through your journey in healing.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
How is she coping now, Dusty?
Yes, she is fighting it hun. She is determined to give it all she possibly can.

Being such early days yet I have to say that she is struggling with all that is happening to her. It remains a very emotional time and she is trying her best to fully understand and comprehend what will happen with her treatment, how this is going to impact on her and what the future holds. She will get there but it is going to take some time yet.

Andrea is so appreciative of all the love, prayers, thoughts and well wishes that you are sending, it truly does make a difference. She would also like thank everyone for respecting her privacy at this very difficult time.

Dusty. xxx

Good, I'm glad! She's the toughest cookie I know! Well, e-know.

Thanks for answering all my questions, Dusty! I'm sure you've been a rock to her through this.

I really hope things pick up for her soon. Emotionally and physically.

Terriernut

I believe in miracles. And if anyone I know deserves it, it is Andrea. Thank you Dusty for keeping us updated.

Andrea, you must feel like a herd of Elephants just ran you down emotionally and physically. You can be a mouse now. You know, the one with the finger up??? As you choose my lovely girl. Always here for you.
:Karl::Karl::Karl:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
It may be a long road Andrea but you're concurring it one day at a time and are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the good fight! We're all here for you. :D

Astra

Hi everyone

Just had a chat with R Andrea, she's ok considering.
At the moment she's back in hospital and in isolation. The chemo will resume tomorrow.
Can't say anymore than that at the moment.
It's so unfair, I'm finding it hard.
Hope tomorrow is a better day for her, just keep fighting Andrea!
Love you tons xxxxxx

Terriernut

Andrea, as you've requested that we dont contact you except on this list I've respected your wishes.

But honey, I'm missing you so much. I know you are doing what you can to fight the fight of your life. And I wish more than anything I could take away your pain and your fear, and make you well.

I'm thinking of you all the time. And I'm sending you as much strength and love as can go through from Dunstable to Wales.
I love you, you beautiful, special lady.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Update - Serious

Things have taken a turn for the worse for Andrea...:(

Her body has not been coping with the higher doses of chemo and she has now been taken to ICU. Her heart is racing and she has developed a fever. Hopefully some time spent there, and with procedures done, she will soon be back on the ward and feeling much better.

Dusty.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Oh, dear. Thank you for the update, Dusty.

Hugs to you, Andrea. One moment at a time.

Crohn's Mom

WTF !!!

Oh Andrea honey...we're all with you in spirit !! Hang in there ...
I just can't believe this !! :voodoo::voodoo:

so much love coming your way !!
~T~

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Thanks Dusty! Andrea, know you are never far from my thoughts! I'm looking forward to happier times soon!!!

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Andrea, you are a beautiful person who touched many lives including many of us here at the forum. You are loved and prayed for. Hugs to you, sweetie.

Hang in there Andrea... thinking of you often and knowing that you will pull through this. I have a massive chocolate Easter egg here with your name on it haha.. (will take longer to eat than the last one) Actually may need to trade it in for a carob egg for you .. :p

Hang in -- YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Wendy

Hi all,
In view of the current situation here, thought it best that one of us come on here and update. And's unable so it's left to me!
Firstly, thanks again for the continued support and wishes left here for her. It really does mean a lot to us all.
Secondly, Dusty, Joan, thank you both so much for your continued love and support and for keeping this updated so that I don't have to do it! lol

As you are aware And has been in ICU since around midnight our time. Her heart beat just went racing off and was needing to be stabilised. In the end, after shocking her, they managed to get it back to a more normal rate. Her temps high, and pain management is a bit hit and miss right now. She's either in pain, or completely wiped out on drugs and sleeps fpr 24 hours. We just can't seem to find an acceptable balance- but are working on it! They are hoping that later today, she will be moved back into isolation and back on to a normal ward.
Her new chemo dose is proving to be problematic. She really isn't coping too well on it at all. Today, in view of the past few days side effects, it has been decided to stop it. Right now, we are unsure if this will just be for the coming week, or if it's for good. And's having a full team meeting tomorrow afternoon with all of her consultants and our family GP. They must decide if continuing the treatment that is causing so many probs will be at all beneficial. If so, do we continue in the hope she gets over this initial stage, or reduce the dose, but hope it remains therapeutic. There is also the third option of stopping it and just letting the cancer take its natural course. I'm sure And will be fighting to continue with chemo, but it really is out of our hands now.

For now, she's bearing up as much as any of us. It's been a long week, and she is exhausted but still unable to sleep properly or for more than an hour at a time. They have restarted her Neupogen injections this afternoon in the hope of increasing her ANC and then possibly allowing her to go home. She hopes later this week, we just say let's wait and see!
In between the bad hours there are still LOTS of good ones. The smile, the laughs are still there. Dusty she says to remind you that she's still waiting on her ticket ...enough said really!
Right I've waffled enough and was meant to just post a few words.
This isn't meant to be a 'sad' update- for now And is still fighting, and until she stops we still have hope.- As long as she keeps smiling and laughing we have hope!
She does think she's turned in to the BIGGEST moaner on Earth right now- little does she know how much we're all moaning behind the scenes. Its way more than her!! lol
Again thank you for everything. I know someone will be here tomorrow to update as soon as we know where her future treatment lies.
J xx

Crohn's Mom

Thank you so much Julien for taking the time to write that and update us all!
I'm so happy to hear that she's still feisty and kicking and screaming her way to health..and laughing here and there is the best ! :)
Keep up the good fight And!!

luv ya,
~T~

Knowing that she's still smiling is such a relief. Her positive attitude and shining personality has been greatly missed here recently but it's a huge comfort to know that she's still fighting and smiling.

I really hope you get back on track soon, Andrea! Hope the meeting goes well :)

Thank you Julien. You must all be exhausted too and this update is much appreciated. Much love to you all and a kiss and hug for our And. Xxx

Terriernut

Thank you Julian for updating us, even though I know you must be 'hitting the wall' with exhaustion and worry yourself. It means alot to all of us that you've updated us.

Andrea, my dearest favourite Welshy. You are a shining light to us all. My sincerest wish is that they can find a way to help you to beat this. You are incredible Andrea, what more can I say. :worthy:

Even though I only have known you for a short time, you have been an inspiration to me. I love you very much and I want you to know that nothing would give me more happiness than to see you well and travelling again.

God bless.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Welshy, :bigwave:

I know the past few weeks have been so very difficult and now the last couple of days so very emotional and in many ways devastating.

I know that you think you moan too much and that you are just an ordinary lady that has nothing special to offer.

I know that you want to fight this with all your heart and soul and that perhaps the ability to do that may be taken away from you.

I know you hate being in hospital.

I know you hate Crohns disease and cancer.

BUT I also...

Know that you are not a moaner Welshy.

Know that you are no ordinary Lady.

Know that this whole thing F#$%ing sucks and leaves me wondering if there is any justice in this world.

Know that you are an inspiration to so many, that you are indeed a guardian angel to some, that you are positive influence in the lives of so many.

Know that the people whose paths you cross are indeed blessed.

Know that the members of this forum love you, care for you, worry about you, think about you and wish more than anything that your cancer can be cured.

Know that you will never be forgotten.

I love ya mate, always...:Karl:
Dusty. xxxxxxxx

Andrea sweetheart, I only got to speak with you for an hour, but in that time you left a big impression. Thank you so much for taking the time to come and check on me and to sit and talk, and to point my in the direction of this forum! I never realised you were so ill!
Your smile speaks volumes, could make anyone melt. Your energy and will for life is admirable.
It's time for you to look after no1 now sweetie. Let the docs do their work and take care of you. No more running around picking up after other patients. Rest.
Thinking of you, hoping and praying everything goes your way tomorrow.
Nic, Dan, Ella and Matt xxxx

Astra

Don't know what to say, Andrea has heard it all from me on the phone.
I can't cope, I'm going AWOL for a bit.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey guys,

Andrea had the meeting today with her doctors to discuss her future treatment....

She will have a heart test tomorrow. If that shows problems with her heart then there will be no return to treatment.

If her heart is okay then chemo will resume in 2 weeks but at the first sign of heart/lung problems it will be discontinued.

I know I don't have you tell that Andrea and Julien are devastated.

Dusty. :(

Andrea I have everything crossed and my thoughts, love and prayers are with you.
I sure as hell hope that tomorrow brings some bloody good news at last.
Dusty - thank you for keeping us all updated. Some of your posts must be so hard to actually write but we all appreciate you taking the time to let us know the latest
Much love
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<3 <3

LOSTnut

Poopy
Oh, what discouraging news!

Much strength to Andrea and Julian and here's to a STRONG HEART that will allow treatment!

Keeping all appendages crossed for a good result tomorrow!

Terriernut

Andrea your heart is your strength. I hope this was only a blip and the test comes out good for you tomorrow so you can continue your fight.

Thank you Dusty, for all you do.

Andrea, I am new here and don't know you, but after reading this thread, please know that I am pulling for you.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Your heart is beautiful, Andrea. All of you is. Praying that your beautiful heart is well enough for you to continue treatment.

In Greece is already tomorrow (July 12th) Hoping for good news for Andrea.

:Karl::Karl::Karl::Karl::Karl::Karl::Karl::Karl:

your heart is perfect in so many ways Andrea - sending you a healthy one .. just in case!! - We've got your back!!!!

Ian

Ditto on what Crohn's Mom said. I'm crossing everything I have (I'm quite flexible so I can even give you a full lotus position!).

I am just so sad, Andrea. I talk about you all the time to family and friends, they all know what a huge help and comfort you've been to me and what you've gone through. I feel like we've met even though we haven't, and they feel like they know you too. My mum's as upset as I am! It's just so fucking unfair. It takes the piss how many brutal blows you've been dealt, and you've handled them all with so much maturity and grace (unlike me!), it's incredibly admirable and to be honest, baffling. I don't think I'm alone here when I say I just don't know how you do it. This is why you're such an inspiration to so many here (I can feel you cringing all the way from Cardiff but it's true). You seem to be able to do the impossible (like smile in the face of all of this), and it's really time you were rewarded for being so bloody awesome. I have to believe things will work out because nothing else makes sense to me.

Thinking of you all the time. I don't pray but I think I will today x

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey guys,

Good news! Andrea's heart results show there is no problem! :thumleft:

The next couple of weeks they will be keeping a close on her before final plans are made about recommencing chemo.

Although Andrea is in good spirits and is so appreciative of all the calls, emails and PM's the family have again asked if we could please keep contact to this thread only. I know you guys will understand. :smile:

Dusty. xxx

So glad to hear good news at last.
Keep up the good work sweetie, and keep smiling. This news has made my day!
Thinking of you,( just wish you were back at this hospital.)
Nic x

Thank you so much for that update. I was nervous to even read what you had posted but am so very happy to hear that news
About bloody time for some good news for you Andrea!
xxxxx

Terriernut

Great news that her lovely and beautiful heart can take it. Here's hoping all goes well now!

More love and prayers rushing to Wales!

Crohn's Mom

Ahhh ! We all knew she had an amazing heart !!

Yeah! so happy to hear some good news for once...:)
Now...FIGHT ON ANDREA !!
XOXOXOXOXOXO

~T~

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm so excited that Andrea's finally gotten some happy news for once! :D This is wonderful! Dusty, thank you so much for the update - next one better be just as good! ;)