• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Others with 3 in family with crohns

others with 3 in family with crohns

I have had Crohn's since I was 15 and I am now 38. My daughter got diagnosed with crohns when she was 9 and she is now 14 and my son was diagnosed when he was 14 and is now 17. My daughter takes remicade and so do I and my son is just on 6mp. I was wondering if there was any other family that has more than one member with the illness??

Sincerely
Aplunk

Kev

Hey Aplunk

Well, my biological mother and 4 of 5 of my biological half siblings have it. So, in total 6 out of 7. What are the odds? Well, according to the so called experts, highest rate of incidence is 1:200... unless a family member has it, then the odds jump to 1:20 (these numbers were taken from a newspaper article I read in 2007... I contacted the author to request where she sourced those statistics, but never received any reply at all, so it may be myth.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Aplunk!

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease almost six years ago. My brother was diagnosed shortly after I was. We have a sister who is experiencing lots of digestive distress, and
recently tested positive for Crohn's on the Prometheus Lab. tests. She wasn't diagnosed yet, because they want more clinical evidence of the disease. My paternal grandfather had it pretty bad. He eventually needed a total colectomy. That was in the late 1970s when things weren't as modern or nice. My father has been having abscesses along various parts of his digestive tract. He's not diagnosed with CD though. My mother made the joke that she could probably host Alaska Chapters of the CCFA in her home. That nasty disease has afflicted many in our family.

So far I'm the only one in my biological family that has Crohn's, not including my cousin from marriage. We were raised seperately, so if its not environmental or genetic, I guess it's just chance, then :)

so far my hubbys sister has coeliacs and his dad ulcerative colitus my 12 year old daughter always has bellyache but so far docs havent found anything so im hopeful its not crohns x

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
My second oldest sister and I both have Crohn's (our oldest sister and younger brother do not). We were diagnosed the same year. Our parents are both carriers of the disease as it shown up in other relatives on both sides. It is considered hereditary.

Thank you for the replies. None of my family on either side has it and neither does my sisters or any of there children. It is weird. It is nice to know there is others and have family that has it. It is not a good thing but nice to know I am not the only one out there. This is a nice website.
Sincerely
April

Yes, definitely!
My mum has ulcerative colitis, my cousin has an illness v similar to Crohn's but I can't remember the name, his daughter was born with a twisted bowel and now has undiagnosed bowel problems and my grandma died of bowel cancer.
Not all Crohn's but bowel related.
By the way this is all on my mums side of the family so it's definitely hereditary
xxxx

Thanks, When I was first diagnosed they told my mom that it was suppose to skip generations. So when my children was diagnosed with it I couldn't believe it but on the other hand I had a feeling. They are doing good. I am now just trying to get insurance I can afford.Thanks
April

Melissa

I hope that it stays that way for you. I am sad that you are ill, because that is something I don't wish on anyone. All I worry about is insurance and what bill will I have next for all of us. We owe so much in doctor bills it is sad.
Sincerely
April

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thanks, When I was first diagnosed they told my mom that it was suppose to skip generations.
I was told that by doctors in the past as well but its simply not true. Although its true that they are a carrier but it can be triggered by anything. Wish we all knew what the triggers were though. :p

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi April,

Both of my children have Crohns. My daughter was diagnosed when she was 14, she is now 19 and my son 7 months ago at 17.

Neither my husband or I have CD or any other autoimmune diseases however my husband has a cousin with Crohns. I have never heard of the "skipping generations" theory but I don't believe it either. However I do believe in our case it is hereditary and I guess when they say that if you have a sibling with it then there is a 30% chance of other siblings also developing it well, it's bound to be in your genes somewhere!

Dusty. xxx

Hi Adkplunk!
Although I am the only one in my immediate family with Crohn's two of my cousins on my father's side of the family also have it.

Hi Adkplunk!
Although I am the only one in my immediate family with Crohn's two of my cousins on my father's side of the family also have it.
Thanks

I am glad to find out that there is other families that have more than one person that has it, it is sad but nice to know.
Sincerely
April