Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » What religion do you identify with, if any?

View Poll Results: What religion do you identify with, if any?
Christianity 127 43.49%
Judiasm 16 5.48%
Islam 6 2.05%
Hinduism 2 0.68%
Buddhism 9 3.08%
Agnostic / Atheist 92 31.51%
Undecided 13 4.45%
Other 27 9.25%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

05-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #91
Bareket

Askenazi (Eastern European) Jewish, practicing, married to an Ashkenazi Jewish man. My daughter may have Crohn's, still working up diagnosis. I have at least 4 Jewish friends with Crohn's. From my limited sample size it does seem to affect Ashkenazi Jews more frequently than in the general population. I am also surprised that more people didn't indicate Ashkenazi Jewish on the poll here.
05-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #92
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Well, it was asking about religion rather than ethnicity. Tempted to make a poll asking about ethnicity instead in a separate thread, which would hopefully give a clearer idea.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
05-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #93
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
Lifelong fundamentalist christian. Raised a methodist, then at age 40 realized that I had been reading a corrupt bible. You have to be careful because many churches and/or pastors/priests read from corrupt bibles.

Became born again and jumped ship to baptist, who adopt the KJV as the true word of God. I'd love to go to church more often but I hate going alone.

Scripture says that God is not the author of confusion; that is Satan's domain. When I contracted Crohns, I looked to The Lord for guidance not for blame.
05-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #94
Jim Gonsler

My Support Groups:
44 years ago I said a prayer pleading for God to take me at 20 years old, the pain I was suffering from Crohn's was so bad!! But he didn't, instead he granted me a miraculous surgery. I've never had a serious bout with Crohn's again since then! I went on the marry and have two children, now adults with great careers and good lives. Thank God we don't always get what we ask for. Yes, I'm a brother in Christ, who lives and thrives under the Christian belief system and will leave this world someday a Christian.
Suffered badly with Crohn's/Ileitis till diagnosis in 1971and received bowel resection surgery to fix resulting obstruction and perforation the spring of that year. Few symptoms displayed since then, but diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 6 years ago.
Take Asacol occasionally for flare-ups (due mostly to antibiotics), supplements like multi-vitamins, Calcium and OPC-3 in Isotonix form.
05-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #95
greatauntalta

I am a Jew.
05-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #96
superzeeman

I am a non-practicing Mormon. I still believe in the Church and think it is a beautiful religion just stopped buying into some of the restrictions. Like no beer, coffee, or cigars. I love all three. LOL
Buproprion
LDN
Lamictal
Mulit Vitamins
Probiotics
Low Carb
Beer
Coffee
Cigars
05-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #97
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetic...l.pgen.1002559
http://www.healthline.com/health/cro...ewish-ancestry

Might shed some light ...

Less religion more ancestry question .
Fwiw no family history here of Ibd at all and DS was dx at age 7.

I think there may be a genetic link for some , diet for others , enviroment for yet others since there seems to be a large amount of variability in how the disease presents and proceeds among everyone including kids .
05-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #98
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I consider myself a devout Christian and it helps to turn to God when I have trouble with the Crohn's. I don't know if I might be experiencing a flare right now but my stomach has been sensitive lately.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
05-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #99
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
44 years ago I said a prayer pleading for God to take me at 20 years old, the pain I was suffering from Crohn's was so bad!! But he didn't, instead he granted me a miraculous surgery. I've never had a serious bout with Crohn's again since then! I went on the marry and have two children, now adults with great careers and good lives. Thank God we don't always get what we ask for. Yes, I'm a brother in Christ, who lives and thrives under the Christian belief system and will leave this world someday a Christian.
So glad to hear that, Jim. Praise Jesus.

05-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #100
KyleF

I am an Atheist and I have been since I was around 8 or 9, long before I ever got Crohn's disease. My father was catholic but no longer practicing although he does still believe in something. He is very against organised religion, my mother never really believed but did attend church with my three brothers and I. Both have been very accepting of all 4 of their sons being Atheists and it has never once bothered my father in the slightest, we were free to choose. I am currently requesting excommunication from the Catholic church as I do not want to be counted as a member.
05-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #101
Susan2

My Support Groups:
From the Age newspaper (Melbourne) and the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday:

A hit in the US, but local [Australian] audiences shun religious epic

Cinema distributor Mike Vile has learnt the difference between religious devotion in the US and Australia. While Son of God took $64 million in North America, ... [it] has opened with just $78,000 from 90 screens in this country, despite a strong faith-based marketing campaign that included preview screenings for pastors and advertising in religious media. "We're a little bit stunned,'' says Vile, who intended no pun when he added: "We expected it to do a hell of a lot more than it's done.''
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
05-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #102
DustyKat
Super Moderator

^^^^ Yep, that about sums it up in Oz.
05-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #103
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
The U.S. is a bit of an anomaly in the western world. Most western nations are dropping out of churches like flies and proclaim non-denomination, spirituality or agnostic or atheist affiliation. The U.S. is deeply conservative and religious in much of the country. The coasts make up the progressive and non conservative theological bend but the whole middle is the bible belt.
09-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #104
IofNewt

My Support Groups:
More Pagan than anything else.
Started with Remicade Aug 6, 2014. Also using Imodium
Had resection in June 2013, but have a recurrence
already.
09-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #105
If*

I was raised very strict in a religious household, family, it has followed me all my life.
09-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #106
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The U.S. is a bit of an anomaly in the western world. Most western nations are dropping out of churches like flies and proclaim non-denomination, spirituality or agnostic or atheist affiliation. The U.S. is deeply conservative and religious in much of the country. The coasts make up the progressive and non conservative theological bend but the whole middle is the bible belt.
Sad

09-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #107
Grumpy1

My Support Groups:
Raised protestant - attended the United Church, no longer attend church but still believe in most of what I was raised with, definately believe in God - I have lost some important members of my family and close friends and I would like to think that someday I will see them again - so I'll believe in that
09-12-2014, 04:09 AM   #108
LodgeLady

I consider myself a devout Christian and it helps to turn to God when I have trouble with the Crohn's. I don't know if I might be experiencing a flare right now but my stomach has been sensitive lately.

I am too Ron. Devout Catholic all my life. I am having issues now about attending Mass with the impending flu season. I've just learned I have several immunodeficiencies ( IGA, IGG and the subclasses) and make no antibodies to the flu and pnuemonia vaccines. So now I feel I need to remove myself from large crowd situations so I can stay healthy. This would include not going to church. I am very sad about this.

Entocort , Prednisone, Pentasa, ,Protonix, Xifaxan

Lots of learning.

Lots of praying.....

Last edited by LodgeLady; 09-12-2014 at 04:28 AM.
09-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #109
pink&green

Christian, I believe in The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit.
Appendix removed
2007 Hemorrhoids removed
2006 resection:
2005 first perianal fistula(removed 3x & lanced still keep coming back)
2014 partial nephrectomy (stage1)
Previously medications:Humira-anaphylaxis reaction, Remicade, Cimzia, Entyvio
Current medications:
B-12, 6mp, flagyl, prednisone,
Tramadol(fistula & joint pain)

LeeLee
09-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #110
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Amen, pink&green

09-14-2014, 12:21 AM   #111
Khaley

Atheist.
Small bowel resection with 3 strictureplasties Aug. 2014
Currently on Azathioprine 150mg, Remicade
09-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #112
lisadc1

My Support Groups:
I am a strong Christian, also believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I do not follow "religion", but we are members of a local church serving Christ. My hubby and I have raised our three now adult children in church. I have personally seen God's protection over one of my daughters as she nearly died from a blood disorder that mimics leukemia. I am a Youth Group leader for tweens/teens...and I try my best to live my life each day so that others can see Christ in me. Am I perfect? BAHAHA absolutely not. I have no right to judge, am too busy cleaning up after my own messes to worry about cleaning up others. Most of life's circumstances that bite us in the hiney are the ones we allow into our lives. But I am a compassionate person who believes and has complete faith in her Savior and is always looking at ways to help make our world a better place to live. Love thy neighbor is a worldwide thing, not one just for those who are Christians, and I see that from many posts here.
09-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #113
MissCadenza

I don't believe in anything. I was raised Catholic but once I started to be able to think for myself I found myself wondering why I had to follow stupid rules set down by a bunch of old men who had no idea what was going on in my life or, it seemed, in the real world.

I think religion is awful. It makes people do stupid things like murder other people in the name of *insert god here* and they somehow think saying it was for religious reasons excuses them from the act. Crusades, anyone?

Religion is rubbish, I think. Most of the problems in the world at the moment are basically down to 'my god's better than your god, nyer nyer nyer'.

It's a way of controlling people. Controlling them by fear - if you don't do x then *insert god here* will punish you. And I think that people who blindly follow a religion are probably scared something bad's going to happen to them. I don't believe in anything and I'm still standing. I can walk into churches and not get struck down by vengeful gods. Funny that, it's almost like they don't exist.

*vanish*
10-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #114
warn81

spiritual, not religious.
10-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #115
scottsma

My Support Groups:
I only believe in good or evil,of which mankind is the sole perpetrator.
But I respect others religious views,even though there are sooo many of them.
10-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #116
smt
Banned

My Support Groups:
I am an atheist. I believed in God till sometime back, but after reading Richard Dawkins, I am a confirmed atheist.
10-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #117
cdnrose

My Support Groups:
I'm confused when it comes to religion...I want to believe in God and all he stands for but I just can't seem to accept it. As a child I went to church and Sunday school, I was expected to blindly believe and I did, it was just one of those things. As I matured and began thinking for myself I wanted badly to have that connection with God and the Church but I couldn't find it. I found that most of the "Christians" were very judgmental and very pushy with their beliefs.

I've lost even more faith in the Church recently, my teen daughter who has chosen on her own to go to Church and follow the Christian faith was turned away at the door due in part to her being gay. She had done nothing wrong while attending services, she helps out with Sunday School and also attends the weekly youth group. I am appalled that a a group whom supposedly "loves and accepts all" would turn away a young girl that was looking for love and acceptance while trying to find herself. Yes she has brightly coloured hair and several piercing but she is also a quiet, mild mannered young lady who now has a broken heart.
10-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #118
teeny5

My Support Groups:
Deist

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
10-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #119
LodgeLady

I worked in healthcare for 22 years. Critical, trauma, medical intensive care units. I have seen the hand of God work his mercy. Situations that even doctors can not explain but definitely were the result of a higher authority. The end of life and the days leading up to it are very life changing. You may not see or feel his presence in your soul at this stage of your life. But you will still have a chance to feel HIS love, HIS mercy, HIS peace as your life here on earth comes to an end. I only pray you non believers, those bitter with the church, those confused and self absorbed, could know HIM before you get to your final hour.
10-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #120
birdonastick

My Support Groups:
Secular Humanist by way of Judaism, which is actually pretty Jewish in a roundabout way. Radicalized agnostic.

If there's someone in charge of this thing (IDK) I'm sure he/she/it would like us all to do better by each other. That includes leaving other people ALONE about their experience and their beliefs, but as mentioned I came out of a religion that forbids proselytizing. We got a few things right, for sure.

I also like a lot of Zen teaching, because it has made me completely happy with IDK as a mindset. Not-knowing and not-being-sure and living in mystery rather than certainty is awesome.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » What religion do you identify with, if any?