• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Would love some advice :o)

would love some advice :eek:)

Well, my first flare was well over 16 years ago. They were many, and back to back. I lived in denial for many many years. I thought I was just having super bad PMS....PMS that lasted for weeks! After my divorce things and met up with my now DH tummy troubles slowly got better. So, I wrote them off. Right up until I landed in the ER with severe stomach pain. The Dr. of course checked my appendix, and for tubal pregnancy. They did a CT scan on me, when the Dx of UC came back I was pretty surprised. That was over 10 years ago. I've had other less severe flares since, I was able to deal with those painfully so, on my own. Just to thick headed to go in to the Dr. as my DH wished. Well, maybe two or three weeks ago ... now, I had another super bad flare, ended up in the ER, morphine didn't even kill the pain. Again, everyone thought it was my appendix. But again, CT came back possible UC, crohns, or diverticulitis. I was given two different antibiotics, pain meds, and anti-nausea meds. Blood work showed slight increase in white blood cell count. Follow up tests showed the CBC has returned to normal. Now I am on track for a colonoscopy in two weeks. I've heard the prep is hell. However, I can't help but feel as if all of Rome is about to invade my butt, LOL, no, I don't live in Rome. I'm also horribly worried I'll wake up in the middle of the procedure. NOT something i want to remember. If I could be delusional rt before I go to sleep,...that way I might think I'm in for a boob job...that'd be great!!! LOL
I've read a few places about "supplies" people have taken with them for after the exam...for clean up, ect. does anyone have any suggestions for me? What kind of clothes are the best to wear? My only experience with operations was an unplanned c-section, so I was very unprepared.

Any help or advice would be great. I take jokes to lighten the mood as well.

Thanks so much,
Nat:rosette1:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hello Natalie and welcome to the forum! :D So you got a diagnosis and didn't get any treatment but then got a new diagnosis with still no treatment? So I'm assuming that this scope is so they can decide what you truly have and what they want to treat you with? Just want to make sure I got that all right. I hope you get the treatment you need.

Yes the prep sucks but that's really the worst part of the procedure if you're being sedated for it (which you should be if you can and have any ounce of sanity in you :p). I'd recommend wet wipes for sure and to just bring the prep with you into the bathroom once things start "moving." Well that is if you're doing a liquid prep like GoLytle etc. which is one of the most common preps out there. Be sure to mix the mixture with a soda like Sprite or Squirt if you like either. It tastes bad but not as bad as straight. Right before the procedure share your concerns about being afraid to wake up during the procedure and make it clear that you don't want to remember anything. They gave me a little extra when I showed concern. ;) You'll need someone to drive you but that's the only thing I can think of for after the procedure. I never had a huge incident or anything afterwards. I usually grab some food via drive through then gorge myself into a food coma and sleep the rest of the day. Best days of sleep ever.

There's some butt cream out there for the soreness of constant wiping but I keep forgetting to buy it and I keep forgetting the name. Someone on here has to know the name of it. I think it starts with a "C."

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Nat and welcome! Crabby had some great suggestions, especially about mixing the prep if you are having a hard time. I used golytle in the past, and after the 3rd glass, I threw it all up. I couldn't keep it down. But I called my GI and she said to mix equal portions with apple juice (or any clear liquid). It took a lot longer to get down, but I was able to finish it without a problem. However, if your GI is willing to let you use it, I HIGHLY recommend the Miralax prep. It is an over the counter powder laxative that has no taste. You mix an entire bottle with a 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade (no red), and you can't taste a thing! And it works like a charm! As Crabby said, be close to the bathroom!

Again, have someone with you to drive you home. And from my experience, have the doctor speak to both you and your driver about the findings. Due to the anesthesia, you will have a tough time remembering the conversation. It will help to have a second set of ears.

And try not to stress over the actual procedure. It's a breeze! Once the prep is done, you are smooth sailing. Good luck!

Yes. Exactly. I've been told twice now I have UC or crohns and twice now they can't dx UC, crohn's and colitis via CT. Its so confusing and I always think, really?! Although, those weren't my tummy Dr.'s words. I asked Tummy Dr what he thought was going on, and he said visual confirmation of one of the three, and remove any polyps if there is any. He also wants to see how damaged the colon and the very end of the small intestine is.
My DH will be my ears in the hospital and driving me home. I hadn't thought about getting food on the way home, that's a great idea.
How long does this thing normally take? they have me scheduled first thing in the morning. I have to be there at 6:30 a.m.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Nat...I'm an old pro at these things, been having them done for oh, about 30 years!!!...should get a frequent flier card or something.....

I usually schedule mine for first thing in the morning too - get a nice, wide awake doctor and team.....I'm usually on my way home no later than 10am....figure if the procedure is for 730am - they get started on time, 30-45 minutes for the procedure and at least an hour in recovery.....

Stopping for food is good- then I usually go to bed for hte rest of the day in a food coma too....the worst is trying to watch TV the night before, it seems like all that is on are FOOD commercials!!!!!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
lol, whatch a movie or two instead. no commercials there. :p

Ya you usually wait an hour before they begin the procedure. Procedure can take half hour to an hour depending on what they find and have to do in there. Mine usually take about a half hour but there isn't much for them to do in there other than take a few biopsies for good measure. Then an hour in recovery as mentioned. Yes having someone there with you when they talk about the results is a good idea. Instruct your driver to get the results themselves if they weren't in there when the doc talked about it (a nurse should be able to read off the results to them, that's what one did when I was the driver for someone else getting a scope).

Hi
The prep isnt very nice but as everyone else has said it is the worst part of it!I was terrifed of waking up during the procedure i got a colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time and i did wake up during it but as soon as i moved the nurse just told me to relax and straight away gave me more sedatives,i was only awake for a few seconds and felt no pain or discomfort so even if you do wake up dont wory about it you'll be out for the count again before you've even realised whats happened!having someone else there to talk to the dr afterwards is a great idea too,i dont remember a word they said to me,luckily i had someone with me.anyway best of luck with everything and i kow its easie said than done but try not to worry about the prep or waking up its only a couple of days and then its all over

Well, lucky for me then, I love movies! ;o) Hmmm...how to get the big screen in the bathroom on prep night...LOL?! Don't think DH would like that.
Has anyone tried a juicer for those fruits and veggies you just can't eat whole?
Any thoughts on that?
Thanks all. I love being here and reading all your posts. Its great finding out I'm not the only one!
Nat

Yay! Just found the string about juicing!!!

Last edited:
I call the scope my "nap and fart time". I pretend that the prep is "colonic" or a "cleansing" like the whole foods people do.

I have woken up. It isn't bad. I always try really hard to see what they are looking at on the monitors and then they realize I am awake and tell me night night and that is it. Darn! I want to see!! LOL!!

They need to biopsy the lining to be able to differentiate the diseases for sure. Each disease has different types of inflammatory cells and that is how they tell them apart. During my last scope, the doctor told me that the most normal tissue I had was the polyps. Not really a good thing, I don't think. But, the way it is today.

Good luck and you will know for sure what you got in a few days.