• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help :/

Hi there
I'm new to this community and I was hoping that I could find some answers to my current relationship troubles. My fiance has had Crohn's since he was 11 and he's now 24. I met him as he has been my brothers friend for years. I care about him greatly but his moods change quickly. One day were perfectly fine & the next he's blowing up about anything he can get his hands on. I just dont know what to do. He tends to eat healthy & tries to stay active but some days he cant get out of bed. Those days he wants to be left alone. We have lived together for 7 months & are pretty open & comfortable with each other except for the disease.:( last week he ended up getting so angry to the point where I packed some things & have been staying at my mothers. I miss him greatly but I just dont know how were going to make things work with him being depressed & angry. I feel as if he is pushing me away. What do I do?

Crohn's Mom

Hi Cg...
I'm so sorry that you are going through so much with your boyfriend. But, how sweet of you to come here and try and educate yourself and try and help!
May I ask, is he on prednisone? This med is known to cause mood swings in some people so that is why I ask.
If not, maybe he has not come to a point in his disease yet that he feels comfortable talking about it to anyone, even you unfortunately. It's hard to hang in there and be patient, but it sounds like you love him enough to try. Good for you for being patient and willing !
I wish you the best of luck! Just maybe try and let him know that you are available whenever he may want to talk, and then give him a little space for a bit?? Sometimes thats all it may take.
Hang in there sweetie and best of luck !

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Indeed it seems we may need more information such as a current med list and how bad his condition is and dare I say his actions and what he did to make you leave the house. Yes some meds do cause mood swings but they don't completely control you. There is a level of accountability that we must accept. If he's having a hard time controlling himself both anger and sadness then it would do him some good to seek counseling and it'd probably be a good idea for you two to do counseling together as well seeming as this is a big issue and I assume you both want the relationship to work. I wish you the best of luck. We're here anytime. :) Welcome to the forum! :D

David

Co-Founder
I'm so sorry to hear you're having relationship troubles. Let me reaffirm the idea of relationship counseling as well with someone who specializes in chronic disease. If your relationship is going to succeed, you BOTH have some work to do.