• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Needing advice. My bf has CD & UC

Hi! My boyfriend of 3 months has suffered with CD & UC for years. He has been honest and upfront about his condition since day 1. He was hospitalized for a week the end of April 2011. He works 12 hr days 3-4 days a week at a hospital, and recently taken a nursing position at a state prison which is supposed to be only if he is needed. I have been educating myself about the disease in hopes to better understand what he is going through (although I know if I read all the info in the world on CD, I will never understand fully how he feels on a daily basis). We live 2 1/2 hrs away from each other, and I miss him like crazy! I haven't talked to him all week, and I am worried but don't want to be the pushy, needy little psychopath, but want to give him space because I know he has been financially stressed. I am afraid he has gotten worse and that is why he is not answering my calls. I am trying so hard to be supportive and understanding, as well as, finding everything I can on CD & UC. He is on his 3rd round of Prednisone.....I hate it for him! I could really use some advice. Thanks in advance!

Astra

Hiya and welcome

It's great that you're supporting your boyfriend like this, sometimes we do need space tho. By telling him you're there for him whenever he needs you, and not mithering him will help. Having patience is a great attribute to have whilst supporting someone with a chronic condition.
By the way, I don't think you can have Crohn's and UC at the same time. somebody correct me here?
Perhaps he's got Crohn's Colitis which isn't Ulcerative Colitis.
Crohn's in the colon is called Colitis which means inflammation in the colon.
Crohn's affects the digestive tract from the mouth to the anus.
hopefully this will help you to research it more.
good luck and have a scoot round the sections on here, lots of info for you.
Joan xxx

Just be there for him. Let him know you are there. I think that is the best thing. Sometimes I think we need our space. However, if not hearing from him goes on too long you might want to hit him over the head with a 2X4. Sometimes guys are really dense and don't get it.

I am glad that you are not trying to be pushy, but he should still pick up your calls. You are his girlfriend and he should trust you enough that he can tell you that he doesn't want to talk or needs his space. I think you should call him or visit him. He could be not picking up your calls because he doesn't want you to be worry, but we can't try to be detective and guess how the other person is feeling. I think you should try to see him or contact him.

Brandon

Thank you for the advice everyone!

Astra101: His dr told us in May that they orginally thought that it was a CD flare up but confirmed by pill cam that it was UC. Or so they thought.....and prescribed prednisone. A lot of times after getting off from work he would call and tell me that he was going straight to bed, that his stomach hurt really bad. I really hate it for him but just try to listen to him when he needs to vent about everything going on. I try and stay upbeat for him. I love him dearly and tell him I am always here for him no matter what. I just hope him being distant right now is not the end of us.

Brandon: I think you are def on to something. Thanks for the advice. Sometimes females need a little male reassurance and vise versa.