• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scarred and Scared

Hello,

First time joining a Crohn's forum. Just a quick update about myself, I'm 23 and I have had Crohn's since I was 12 years old. Was recently informed that after some tests and a colonoscopy that I have moderate inflammation of Crohn's and Colitis throughout my entire colon. (Sorry for the detail but I figured its a Crohn's forum and talking about crap and body parts isn't that big of deal. lol) I've had 2 surgeries and have been in & out of the hospitals. I haven't been hospitalized from the Crohn's disease in quite some time but the fact that my recent tests came back showing that I have moderate inflammation throughout my entire colon scared me. I started remicade back in January but just had my my dosage doubled up for the first time 8 weeks ago. I probably broke the golden rule by looking stuff up on the internet about having Crohn's long term. It did me more harm than good. I fear of dying young and getting colon cancer. I never used to be so fearful, and now i battle fear and anxiety attacks along with it. I'm scared........I do pray, probably more so now but I just hope that someone who has had Crohn's and Colitis for quite some time can shed some light and hope into my life. Please help me.....I'm scarred........I'm scared.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Drew and :welcome:

First up, nothing is TMI here! and I'm glad you found your way here. There are many experienced, friendly and knowledgeable hanging out here and many that have had crohns or colitis for many, many years.

Anxiety and depression is quite common among people suffering with Crohns and there are a number of people here that take medication for it. Just know that you are not alone, you are among friends here that know exactly what are feeling and experiencing. Here are some threads you may like to look at...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=16648&highlight=anxiety

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=15837&highlight=anxiety

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=12181&highlight=anxiety

Is the Remicade still working for you at the increased dose?

Good luck hun and welcome aboard. I hope you stick around so we can get to know you better.

Thinking of you, :hug:
Dusty. xxx

I totally know what you are going through. I always think myself to death as to what is the next move with my disease. I ask myself this disease can only get worse and that I am just waiting to get cancer or have a stricture. The thing is the stage you want to get to is remission. Remission is the goal and staying there is what we are working towards. I also used to look at the long term affects of crohn's and it terrified me. Just breathe, take your medication, eat right, and live life. I am 21 years old with crohn's and it sucks to not be able to have a normal digestive system like others, but we have to make due with what we have. Stay strong Drew and get to know the forum! Welcome!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Drew, a most hearty welcome to you! I'm sorry to hear your latest colonoscopy results weren't very good :(

It's certainly understandable that you're experiencing anxiety and don't beat yourself up about acquiring knowledge about CD. Naturally, it IS important to get your stressors and anxiety under control. Yoga helps a LOT for me, but everyone is different. The key is finding that outlet that works for you. My suggestion would be to focus on finding exactly that.

As you're on Remicade, you may also want to check out our Remicade support forum.

I hope to see you around more. All my best to you :)

*hugs*

Thanks Guy for the encouraging words. Should have joined a forum a long time ago. Its good to know that I'm not fighting alone in this. I appreciate the advice and the links.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Drew.....welcome to the forum.....I've been dealing with this a loooonggggg time...my attitude? Something else will most likely get me before Crohns' does!!! ...and I sure as heck am NOT going to go down without a fight no matter what!

Hi Drew.....welcome to the forum.....I've been dealing with this a loooonggggg time...my attitude? Something else will most likely get me before Crohns' does!!! ...and I sure as heck am NOT going to go down without a fight no matter what!
Ya so true. The more I read though, it sounds like more people with Crohn's and Colitis actually live a pretty average life span compared to someone who doesn't suffer with these ailments. Guess I just worry too much honestly.