• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed after 30 years

I am a 53-year-old woman who was just diagnosed after going to the ER with intense abdominal pain and vomiting. CT showed an intestinal obstruction. Further tests show a fistula between the bowel and colon, and lots of inflammation throughout.

I've had symptoms for 30 years, but have remained extremely active (running marathons, participating on boot camps, etc). My chronic diarrhea became my norm. I've never suffered from fatigue which baffles my doc.

Started immediately on steroids to reduce inflammation, and am having my first dose of Remicade today. On my 5th day in the hospital and weaning to a normal (whatever that is now) diet. Hopefully will go home tomorrow if I can tolerate food.

Hard to believe my intestines are such a mess when I feel so good (other than the obstruction).

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi scl and welcome! Wow, 30 years until you got your diagnosis! That's a new record. But I am glad you finally got some answers. I sure hope Remicade does wonders for you, as it has for so many others.

Good luck and let us know how your first dose goes!

David

Co-Founder
Hi SCL and welcome, I'm pleased you founds your way here.

Until last year, I lived Hilo side of the Big Island.

As you're now on Remicade, I suggest you check out our Remicade support forum which may be of assistance.

Again, it's great to meet you. Hopefully the doctors help you find remission soon and you go from running marathons to winning marathons ;)

Had my first dose yesterday and it was thankfully uneventful. Didn't feel a thing. Was released from the hospital this morning and am happy to be home.

My biggest issue is diet. So many opinions! I'm intrigued by the The Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but the dairy scares me. Any advice?

David

Co-Founder
I think what works for each person is going to be a little different. I'm personally trying a vegan diet at present. In case you haven't found your way there, we do have a diet and fitness forum. And I'm sure you could inspire some people your fitness accomplishments :)

SCD and LDN

Had my first dose yesterday and it was thankfully uneventful. Didn't feel a thing. Was released from the hospital this morning and am happy to be home.

My biggest issue is diet. So many opinions! I'm intrigued by the The Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but the dairy scares me. Any advice?
Dear SCi,
My daughter has been on SCD for 10 months. No pain or symptoms since first day on diet. She feels fantastic, full of energy. Big commitment but very healthy and we make delicious food- i.e. Fresh peach frozen yogurt made with SCD legal yogurt that has 3 pints of cream and the rest whole milk. Our whole family eats yogurt ev. day-smoothies, etc. So she gets a lot of dairy. Read some of the 285 comments on amazon.com for Breaking the Vicious Cycle. Very inspiring.

Our goal is to heal and seal my daughter's gut w/SCD. Read also Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Natasha Campbell McBride. Further explains the biology behind specific carbohydrate diet and how it affects the gut.

Thanks for the comments and the referral to read Natasha Campbell McBride's book. I've started the diet and have already made some delicious meals now that I'm over the intro diet.