• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Son with Crohns doing stem cell replacement

My son, Brandon, is 28 years old and has been suffering with Crohns for almost 12 years. In November he went through surgery and had 5 feet of small intestine removed. They had to leave some diseased intestine behind. They classified it as mild and we all had hoped medication would get and keep it under control. Unfortunately, nothing is working. His doctor suggested 2 clinical trials. One trial is for a new medication. The other trial is stem cell replacement. He has not had good luck with medication so he is opting for the stem cell replacement. He is tired of being in pain and not having much of a life. He is 2 years behind in completing his doctorate program and is very discouraged. I was wondering if someone has already completed the stem cell replacement and would be willing to talk to him about your experience. To top it off, his fiancee has decided she has had enough of all this and has ended their engagement.

I don't have any info to provide about stem cell transplant but wish your son the best of luck! Its a shame about his fiancee backed out but I guess if she isn't able to be supportive its better he finds out now.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi ashgm and :welcome:

I'm so sorry to hear about your son and the problems he has been having. We have a member, Mr. Ziggy and he has an extensive thread outlining his Stem Cell Journey.

I'm not sure how often he comes onto the forum now but perhaps you could PM him.

effdee is also in the process of having a transplant done...here. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Dusty. xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am so sorry to hear about your son's difficulties with his Crohn's. As Dusty has shared, one of our members had a successful stem cell transplant procedure. You should read his thread thoroughly as he is very detailed.

Whether Brandon goes for the drug trial or transplant, I sure hope he finds relief soon!