• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of being poked and prodded to find out whether I have IBD. The last two months I've been running for the loo anywhere between 2 and 20 times a day (and night) and my GP has arranged for me to have a colonoscopy in a few weeks time. My dad has UC and my aunt has Crohn's so it's not entirely unexpected. Tbh, in the last few years I'd thought a few times that I'd dodged the bullet - and then the diarrhoea and bleeding started :redface:
Anyway, hello everyone :ysmile:
Rach

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Rach and welcome! I am surprised you didn't have a colonoscopy to start with especially based on your family history. What tests have you had thus far? What were the results?

I hope you get answers soon and can start appropriate treatment if you are diagnosed. Keep us posted on your progress and try to hang in there!

Hi Jill,

It's a bit complicated as I also have a gastric bypass - the first GP I saw after the runs started decided to tell me that it was because I had a shorter small intestine, even though everything has been fine for the previous 3 years. I'd been having bleeding off and on for the last year which a different GP told me was nothing to worry about and for the last couple of years I've been having not-so-nice bathroom experiences that while they might only last for 15mins seem to result in my digestive system wanting everything out, and me rocking back and forth on the loo praying for it to finish because of the horrible writhing going on in my guts. My gastric bypass surgeon has just let me know that I'm now low in vit D and Calcium (I already take calcium supplements so I guess it must be the vit D that's causing the calcium deficiency) and on top of that I also take Phenytoin which can mess around with vit D/calcium levels. It's a bit of a complicated picture!

After I finally managed to see my usual GP I was referred for a colonoscopy. I've had a whole load of blood tests done, but the only results I can remember was my CRP and ESR levels were normal (I was quite happy about that - it fed my delusion that it was some kind of bug despite two stool samples a month apart coming back negative!).

David

Co-Founder
Hi Rach and welcome :)

I pray that your colonoscopy results comes back normal. If they don't and you have to join the IBD club, we're certainly here for you any time.

I wish you all the best. Keep us updated!

*hugs*