• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the site with questions as of treatment.

Well, I'm new to this site and Im not sure if I am supposed to pour my heart out to everyone. So, till I get used to it I will try and save the heartache for another post, that is if I can figure out how to post another one.

I have been diagnosed with Crohns for almost three years now so personally I am a new compaired to some, but my life growing up was surrounded with the disease. My mother had it before she passed away 4 years ago due to complications and my aunt also suffers from Crohns and is often my support system, so, I am by no means a stranger to the disease itself.

Since my diagnoses I have read this forum many times and have gotten many great things and helpful information but could never bring myself to join. Not sure the reason, I think it was that I was not ready to face reality and for a long time I thought I did not need support because I pride myself on being strong (I am a stubborn woman) and being able to get myself through things. Though, it was not until recently that I realized that Crohns is not something that you get through, but something that never goes away. Minute by minute is how you get through it, or so it feels like as of late. I feel alone in my fight sometimes because so few people around me understand. I know people "understand" that I am in pain a lot of the time, but no one has felt the pain other than a few. My boyfriend is wonderful and my grandparents are great (both are very supportive) but, I hope this does not sound sadistic, I like to know that others join me in my pain and Im not the only one.

The last three years I have never been truely in remission but have experienced less active stages here and there which have made it easier. But, the last six months have been the hardest and probably the most painful. Day after day I have been sick and not really sure what to do since the pain was new to me. About 2 months ago, after complaining about massive amounts of pain, I was refered to a corectal surgeon who unfortunatly informed me that the pain that I was having was due to fistulas and abcesses that were forming and then went to see my gastroenterologist to discuss further options. My doctor says I have no other option but the have my Crohns treated more aggressively which by aggressive he said, Remicaid and possibly surgery.

With that said, I have a few questions that I would like to ask and I hope someone here can help me or inform me. But before I ask I should say that I have no insurance. Poopy, I know (Hahaha, I made a funny):ybiggrin:

I have done some research only to find out that Remicaid, well, is NOT cheap!

What are other immune system suppressents that I could ask about? I know about humira but are their any others that I can ask about that are not as costly but just as affective?

And, does anyone also have experience in not having insurance and knows ways to make it easier on the pocketbook such as programs and whatnot? Financial help? I want the best care so I can finally feel better.

My doctor is already treating me for free (he was my moms doctor and now calls me his adopted daughter and still is my aunts doctor, and a GREAT MAN!) and I know he will help me in what ever way he can but I would like to go in there knowing some of my options and knowing that I can help myself financially and not depend on him.

Thank you for reading this, I look forward to getting to know you.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome! Glad you finally joined us! Sorry I can't help with your question but I do know there is financial help out there. It's a shame they make you grovel but you can find it. Some of the drug manufacturers offer programs themselves. I don't know who makes Remi but you could start there. Good luck! I realize you want to show your doc you can do it on your own, but he/she would know the best options. I'm sure he knows you can't afford it on your own. Bill Gates would balk at the cost of Remi!!!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am happy you finally joined. This is a great community to be a part of.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with financial help for treatment. However, have you considered contacting the CCFA? Perhaps, they could point you in the right direction.

I sure hope you can get some financial assistance, so you can start a new treatment that works for you! Good luck!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome :) I'm glad you decided to finally join us :) And it's not sadistic to want to speak with others who share your pain. Until someone has walked in our guts, I think it's hard to comprehend what someone with IBD has to deal with.

As for the Remicade question, check out this page and see if it helps at all: http://www.centocoraccessone.com/pages/remicade/patientassist/intro.jsp

I wish you all the best and hope to see you around more often :)