Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » What's the secret to healing perianal abscess?

09-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #31
Lil Beak

Thanks so much AVW! You seem to be so strong, and your encouraging words and advice really mean a lot to me thank you.

Does anyone here with a non cutting seton in place have no significant pain anymore since the seton going in? I'm hoping someone can say that their seton was uncomplicated and turned out to be a blessing that has really helped them.

I would like to know, from those with a seton, if once the seton went in if it ever caused problems: like backing up of fluid in tract, discomfort while wearing certain pant materials, or pain during or right after a BM. Or if it just turned out to be a great help with no problems.

I'm hoping there are some encouraging experiences you all can share. I am in such pain after a BM everyday because the fistula tract swells up with fluid and stool each time. This leaves me unable to go on with a normal life for a good 2 hours while I soak and try to expel fluid from the tract. Then the tract releases fluid and it really feels better.

I don't mind having a seton as long as it means I won't have the BM pain anymore (since in theory it's job is to keep the fluid from clogging - which is really the only pain I have).

Thanks in advance everyone! I love the forum as a mental healing tool and I send good healing juju vibes to all

Currently: In a flare (just fever and diarrhea 3-4 x daily) since late Sept 2012.
And an anal abscess turned fistula since August 2012.

Surgeries / procedures: 3 incision & drainage procedures for recurring anal abscesses. Successful surgery to place a non-cutting seton on Oct 4, 2012.

Current Meds:

Colazal capsules (6 x a day, 9 when flaring)
Going to start 6MP in the near future
10-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #32
Sarah Bee

I have just had my first experience with a perianal abscess and saw the dr Monday he put me on cipro and flagyl and Tuesday it burst. It has stopped draining as of earlier today. Has anyone ever been diagnosed with an abscess and had not had it immediately drained, just relied on antibiotics alone? I am terrified of it filling back up again. Right before it burst it was smaller than a golf ball but bigger than a large cherry and the swelling around it covered an area the size of a large egg. I am taking sitz baths when I can and rinsing with saline solution every time I go to the bathroom. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
10-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
Lil Beak

I have just had my first experience with a perianal abscess and saw the dr Monday he put me on cipro and flagyl and Tuesday it burst. It has stopped draining as of earlier today. Has anyone ever been diagnosed with an abscess and had not had it immediately drained, just relied on antibiotics alone? I am terrified of it filling back up again. Right before it burst it was smaller than a golf ball but bigger than a large cherry and the swelling around it covered an area the size of a large egg. I am taking sitz baths when I can and rinsing with saline solution every time I go to the bathroom. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hi Sarah Bee-

In July this year i got my very first anal abscess. I went to the Dr. and they had me do a pelvic CT scan to be sure that the swollen lump on my anus really was a collection of pus/ an abscess and not something else. I had been diagnosed with Crohn's not too long before this, so it was likely to the doctors that this was a Crohn's complicational abscess. Not uncommon in Crohn's of the colon (which i have).

Well It was an abscess, and the scan showed it to be only 16mm large, like the size of a bean. The dr. consulted with a general surgeon, and together they agreed that the collection was small and that antibiotics alone would clear it up. I was started on a Flagyl course, and 3 days into it the pain had really gone away and the swelling seemed to get better. Then about 7 days in to it the swelling raged and got very painful very fast. The swelling just looked angry and red, it was very tender and grew to about the size of a small bouncy ball. I didn't know why it got crazy like that out of nowhere, so i went back to the Dr. She had me see a gen surgeon in the ER to make an incision in the abscess and drain it's contents.

At that time they had me start another 2 week course of flagyl and things were draining ok and feeling better for the next few weeks. But then after 3 weeks the incision they made in the abscess was starting to close up and heal over, but this became a problem for me because the abscess was not done draining yet. I was back in pain and a swelling had reformed. I went to a Colo-rectal surgeon who diagnosed the persistently draining abscess as an anal fistula.

That was 3 months ago. Since then i have not had to continue on any antibiotics, but i have had to get an incision re-opened every 3 weeks since then because the skin kept closing over. Finally the surgeon said it was likely not going to stop draining for a while, so i had a surgery to insert a seton into the fistula tract last week.

The purpose of the seton is to keep the tract open so that the skin cannot close up or heal back together where the incision is - allowing the abscess to continue to drain for as long as it needs to.

I have had a FANTASTIC experience with the seton so far! It has been the answer to all my problems with this abscess/ fistula lately. I dont have pain during bowel movements anymore, no re-abscessing/ pain at my anus, and it doesn't interfere with anything i do. I don't even feel it or know it's there unless i touch it.

Let me know if you have any other questions for me

Rebecca
10-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #34
Sarah Bee

Thank you Rebecca. I managed to get the abscess to open again today by taking sitz baths all night and keeping saline soaked gauze on it. It was draining this morning but I just went to the bathroom and checked the gauze and it has stopped again. I still feel a hardness there and a sharp pain with pressure. My dr got back to me and said if it is still hard on Monday he will see me then. I just don't want to be in pain all weekend if fills back up like earlier this week. I just want to make sure this drains properly.
10-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #35
Lil Beak

Sarah, in my experience you should be able to encourage draining by exerting some pressure down there. I have found that when I would lay flat, or just stand still, and clench my butt cheeks as hard as possible several times it would get the draining going and really relieved pain. I just know it always did the trick for me.

It was funny how I discovered this technique.i was getting a facial and while she was extracting some white heads with that little tool, I kept having to clench my butt because it kind of hurt and i so was bracing during the pain, well i felt a rush of fluid down there and put 2 and 2 together. Lol
10-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #36
Sarah Bee

I will definitely give that a try. Did you find it worked better after a sitz bath or during a hot shower? Thanks so much for the helpful tips and info, it is much appreciated.
10-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #37
Lil Beak

I did that literally anytime. I mean, no one can tell you are doing it! Lol. For some reason I always noticed that the abscess hole wouldn't drain after a sitz bath. It was like the water was blocking things up for a while. I would always have to wait about an hour after a sitz bath for anything to drain. So I never understood how people used sitz bath to get drainage to occur.

And no problem, I am so happy to help anyone her in any way. So many people here helped me when I needed it
10-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #38
KWalker

I think the purpose of the bath is to soften things up so when you do apply pressure it's more likely to allow drainage. When I took the baths I don't find it does much either but then it seems easier to help the drainage if I squeeze it or apply pressure afterwards. It's like a blister. When it's all squishy you can squeeze it but when it's hard it's a lot harder to get anything from it.

I'm dealing with one now that seems to drain for a bit then it will stop and build up again and be sore until it releases
11-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #39
mumoftwo

Hi there. One year ago i had a perianal abscess, i had surgery to have it removed, it was very painful at the time and a few months after it returned my doctor put me on two different antibiotics which didnt work. I had been to a conference that week on healing oils of the bible and learnt that frankinsence is so powerful and can be used to treat abscesses. I applyed a few drops onto a sanatary pad every few hours, i did feel a burning sensation but thankfully after four days i was gone, since that time it has flared up and i have put a drop of frankinsense directly onto the area. I would not recommend that for children but perhaps to put a few drops on the feet or ear lobe. Google frankinsense for further info. I was pretty sceptical and my doctor certainly was she wanted to admit me to hospital again but i insisted i try frankinsence (i have a huge fear of hospitals) thank god for this amazing and powerful oil.
02-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #40
pipmom

My Support Groups:
My 15 year old daughter presented with perianal fistulas as first symptom of Crohns.Misdiagnosed by three doctors before ped GI made the call. In and out of the hosp. numerous times for TPN, antibiotics, Remicade, drainage, packing, repacking. Finally went to large teaching hospital where they placed two Setons. Thought coast was clear and 8 days after Remicade tx (added Methotrexate this time) having same abscess pain. Not a lot of pus though. Should the abscess still be forming with Setons in ? Still on Flagyl, Cipro, Entocort. Worried about being on Flagyl so long. Also, do you all think the Remicade is working or do you think it is working too well and healing outside inward too quickly and not allowing drainage ? Lastly, should we be moving the Setons around some? Dr didn't tell us to, but I have seen some people post to do so. Please help. Exasperated to say the least.
02-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #41
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My 15 year old daughter presented with perianal fistulas as first symptom of Crohns.Misdiagnosed by three doctors before ped GI made the call. In and out of the hosp. numerous times for TPN, antibiotics, Remicade, drainage, packing, repacking. Finally went to large teaching hospital where they placed two Setons. Thought coast was clear and 8 days after Remicade tx (added Methotrexate this time) having same abscess pain. Not a lot of pus though. Should the abscess still be forming with Setons in ? Still on Flagyl, Cipro, Entocort. Worried about being on Flagyl so long. Also, do you all think the Remicade is working or do you think it is working too well and healing outside inward too quickly and not allowing drainage ? Lastly, should we be moving the Setons around some? Dr didn't tell us to, but I have seen some people post to do so. Please help. Exasperated to say the least.
This was my first symptom too. Took 7 years to get a diagnosis.

The idea is that the fistulas shouldn't abscess with setons in place, though mine kept swelling while I had setons in place to the point where it became painful to sit, so my GP called my surgeon who recommended flagyl. I didn't have a GI doc at the time because I was told I didn't have Crohn's by a previous GI doc in a previous city. The flagyl helped.

Pain could also be caused by the knot of the seton getting stuck in the fistula, in which case you would have to try to move it. I never touched mine unless the knot was stuck or the end was digging into my skin.
02-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #42
pipmom

My Support Groups:
Somewhat good news today. Took my 15 yr old to Vandy for exam under anesthesia for butt pain. Remicade/Methotrexate seem to be working. Dr found non healing angry small pocket around Seton but no pus. He made small incision and packed with me doing repacking twice a day at home. Did remove one superficial Seton,but left the one involving sphincter. Hope she can begin to get her life back now considering this is her seventh surgery for perianal fistula. My older daughter also has disease and she made the trip to see her Colorectal surgeon. Not so good news. Scheduled bowel resection with temp ileostomy. This is such a horrible disease. Praying researchers will figure this out and provide better tx soon. Wish it were me instead of them. I'm sure I gave them their bad gene since they have different fathers. Also have a Jewish heritage. Scared for my third child who is male, GI said he has a 11-14% chance that he has it also,but didn't encourage testing unless symptomatic. Promethius test expensive and my insurance won't cover.Sorry for rambling, just exhausted and numb.
02-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #43
annawato

My Support Groups:
Oh Pip it must be so hard seeing your children go thru it all. At least we have only ourselves to think of whereas you have to worry about everyone but have no-one to worry about you. Make sure you look after yourself too. take care,
Anna

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
02-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #44
pipmom

My Support Groups:
Anna, Sounds like you have been through so much and continue to battle with this crappy disease. I hope I can develop a more accepting and supportive attitude like you. I need to reach out more. Take care and God Bless.
02-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #45
smallfry

My Support Groups:
yes, use this forum to reach out pipmom! Talking about things with others will help I have a temp ileostomy to rest my rectum from perianal abscessing/fistula with seton. Mine are all in my rectal vaginal septum to be more specific If you or your daughters need to chat feel free to message me!
Take Care,
Jen

Crohn's disease since 2001
abscessing/fistula since 2006
seton placement for 8 months
4 cases of crohn's related iritis

Diverting Loop Ileostomy Sept.19 2012
Proctocolectomy April 16th, 2014 and off all major meds

Meds
Past - asacol, prednisone, imuran, Remicade from 2001-2008, flagyl, cipro, Humira 2011-2013, 10 months of IV meropenem
Current - T3's, prozac, clonazepam, probiotics, caltrate plus, multivitamin, vitamin D
02-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #46
cap13

My Support Groups:
Hi all. I'm brand new and so glad to have found this site! I'm also sorry for all that so much of you have experienced!

Here's my story--have had GI issues my whole life, diagnosed with IBS as a teen (early 30s now), Crohn's runs in family, but had a colonoscopy about 6 months ago that was normal. Doc seems to think just bad IBS--boughts of diarrhea/constipation, have to watch my diet extremely closely, abdominal cramping, history of hemorrhoids/fissures for 15+ years. Have had fissures off and on for years but have struggled mightily with it since Oct 2011. Several small abscesses formed in the last year that were healed with a Cipro/Flagyl combo, but the fissure itself hadn't healed since the colonoscopy in Sept (that of course retore it).

After unbearable pain and a lot of swelling earlier this week, saw my colo-rectal surgeon Wed who said I might have an abscess but she thought a thrombosed hemorrhoid. Sent me home with 7 more days of Cipro/Flagyl per my request. I knew it wasn't a thrombosed hemorrhoid--have had several and this was much larger and MUCH more painful. It was indeed an abscess that started draining on its own on Thursday. (It worried me a little that my colo-rectal surgeon misdiagnosed me, but I'm happy for her cautious approach of no cutting.) Has been draining for 4 days, I've been taking multiple baths a day, etc.

Here's my question--do any of you have any secrets as to not developing a fistula (assuming I don't currently have one)? I have read a high protein diet? I eat very little meat, so this will be something I need to work on. Also, were you on antibiotics while the abscess was draining? Will finish my course Tues and not sure if I need more--doc is a little hesitant to give them, and I understand. However, I was running fever with this earlier in the week (again, why the hemorrhoid diagnosis was odd to me) and just hope that 7 days is enough to clear the actual infection.

Thank you all for sharing your stories--it's VERY inspiring. I wish you all the best!
02-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #47
annawato

My Support Groups:
Cap13, I can't help with any of your questions though I am sure someone will be able to, but I just wanted to welcome to the forum. Theres a great bunch of people here who can give you lots of info.
anna
02-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #48
KWalker

cap13 I have moved your post to your own thread here http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47277 because I think you will get more replies that way. Please let me know if you have any questions
02-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #49
cap13

My Support Groups:
Thank you both so much!! I'm happy to have found this group of people! It's hard to discuss anal abscesses/fistulas/fissures, etc with coworkers and friends .
02-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #50
annawato

My Support Groups:
Absolutely - I think their eyes would glaze over or more likely pop out of their heads as soon as you mention recto - vaginal fistulas.
Whereas we all go, oh yeah so and so had trouble with that etc etc.
Hope you get the answers to your questions soon.
anna
02-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #51
JKLT

AVW,
It was interesting reading your posts. I too am in Lafayette Louisiana. I know what you mean when you say you haven't had much luck with the doctors. I think we are sortof limited on the amount of doctors here who even know anything about crohn's or understand the amount of pain those of us who have it suffer. I joined this forum today after reading the posts submitted by all these wonderful people. This looks like it is a great place for support, which is something we all need. Thanks to all who have posted here. It really helps to know others who have had similar circumstances and are willing to share their experiences with others. I'm happy to have found this forum!

02-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #52
annawato

My Support Groups:
Welcome to the forum JKLT. And thankyou for your kind words. I'm sure you'll find lots of help here. don't be afraid to ask any questions no matter how minor or silly they sound. We're all here to help and support each other.
anna
05-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #53
bazzabrush

Hi Guys,
I just joined this forum and found the information you have written very useful. Thanks for all the advise. Its been very useful.
Does anyone know how long an abbcess should take to heal from bottom up. I had a large abscess which was about 5cm deep incised and drained about 7.5 weeks ago and it is currently only about 1cm - intermittent discharging. It was a cavity but more of a tube shape. They were packing It initially for 2 weeks but then switched to using a Flaminal Forte Gel. They said initially about 1cm per week but this is obviously taking quite some time. Doing regular salt water baths but the whole is only very tiny now - but the bugger is not closed. Im worried there is a fitula of some sort somewhere around the area.

Im not sure what people think of the Flaminal But have found it easier then packing but unsure if this has had a detrimental affect on healing.

B
06-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #54
Reject_Forever

Hello. I broke a tooth, and was prescribed a powerful medication. Many DR visits and tests later, including blood, stool, CT Scan, and Colonoscopy all normal, my dr said it was all diet. It took me 2 years, but I determined it to be an anal abscess. The dr laughed, but checked anyways. Sure enough, there it was, golf ball size and fistula attached. It seems it may have been draining out between the tests, and they tell me the weight of it is the same as surrounding tissues, so no test could detect it. I turned down the surgery, and have survived with this condition about 3.5yrs now. I'll mention some healing tips at the end. If all of you suffered with an abscess, was it very foul smelling? I have lost all of my friends, my family has mostly disowned me, I have left one job already, and may eventually leave my current one. People 20-30ft away can complain. It seems its the pus or some kind of drainage that causes the odor. I havent found any proof an anal abscess can be removed without loss of continence, so if I continue to leak I will continue to smell. Has anyone else here experienced this problem? I tell people I have a serious condition but they still hate and fear the heck out of me, like they may catch something. Wondering if there is a way to bring the smell down.

Top things that have helped me, I'll recommend exercise. Not the treadmill type, its a waste of time. I do a full powerlifting routine, but at a reduced weight from before this incident. I credit the weightlifting for keeping me alive, as I lost 20pct bodyweight when this first hit.

I found a medication that has an extra benefit. My dr sent me to a colon surgeon, and he said I had a fissure. He recommended sphincterotomy. I researched that, and a test of 300 people had 45% saying they lost all continence within 10yrs. Not the solution. I found this heart medication, reading the wiki on it will show what it can do. Its called Dilitizem. This is the end of my first month of it, altho my dr nearly declined getting it for me.

Next thing I did, which almost immediately got me results, was quit using toilet paper. I use baby wipes and wash off, and sitting isnt so bad anymore.

Anyone that can help with the smell problem, either by relating or offering a solution, I will be greatful. I have concluded either the abscess and its drainage stink, or I have an internal digestional disease to go along with this. My best guess would be Candidisis, look at the side effect list for that. I am also curious about Clostrodium Difficile, which I tested negative for twice at my own request.

Good luck to all of you. I am tired of being the Reject, the Enemy. I first got this at 29, was in great health with a potential future ahead of me. Im mid 30s now, and it seems this disease is a life sentence, lonliness and hatred included.
08-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #55
HotToddy

God Avw so sorry u r going thru all that u r so young, unless that pic is 20 years old lol kidding. Been up all night researching after 8 hours in er and dx with anal abscess. never had anything like this its awful. they sent me home on flagyl and cipro and gave me iv antibiotics in hospital. just looked and its so inflamed. I kind of self dx before er visit cause of pain fever and night sweats last too nights. they gave me a number for a surgeon to call tomorrow. im 40 and this sucks and need advise on what to do next. they did not drain it and it surely looks worse then before er trip. HELP! mind you I am a baby with any kind of illness i just want my mommy lol. THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD.
08-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #56
Daisy G

My Support Groups:
Hi HotToddy
Sorry to read about your anal abscess. I've been there where you have several times. At present I have two setons in place and three complex fistulae - I don't mean to freak you out it's just that my perianal disease is very proactive!

To me the the doctors always prescribe antibiotics as the first line of defence for perianal abscesses. Thereafter if it doesn't have the desired effect i.e. reducing the swelling/inflammation the colorectal doctors then look at draining it. It's so annoying to have to go through all the suffering and pain in the interim. Hang in there though hopefully you can have it drained soon and thereafter be on the road to recovery.

All the best... just so you know there are plenty of times when I also say: "I want my mommy!"

Crohns Disease diagnosis: July 2007
Osteopenia diagnosis: March 2012
Current medications: Puri-Nethol (Mercaptopurine), Remicade (Infliximab)

Previous medications: Augmentin, Metronidazole (Flagyl), Amoxycillin, Prednisone, Pentasa (Mesalamine), Imuran (Azathioprine), Salazoypyrin (Sulfasalazine), Humira (Adalimumab), Salofalk Mesalazine enema & Budenofalk (Budesonide) enema.

Previous supplements: Ferro-Gradumet; Duro-K (Potassium Chloride)
08-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #57
inpainindamembrane

2 years ago I had a sore just outside my anus... it wouldn't heal. My ObGyn took a look, prescribed antibiotics and everything has been fine until early May this year... the area inflamed and was big and tight and painful for 2 days until I took ibuprofen and the swelling went down, however, it has pussed a little almost every day since. The pus has little to no odor. I'm also experiencing bits of gas? escaping from my anus. not like a typical fart, just feels like bubbles.

some history... I've had a fissure probably my whole life and hemorrhoids - both flare at times but I've gotten used to them and typically don't have issue or notice those.

so the wound, which I believe is an abscess, has leaked a little almost daily and my rectum is often achy... I have a holistic care provider who has offered homeopathic remedies with some relief but not an end in the condition.

7/22/13 i went to a clinic for an exam... they did a digital and I guess a super short scope? Dr said "I don't see anything alarming, no need to cut anywhere." He put me on both an oral and a rectal antibiotic for 2 weeks which I took correctly. The only change in the wounds activity was fresh red blood on tissue sometimes - which I had not been seeing and I have not been able to see if blood is from the wound or the anus. *you get pretty good squatting over a mirror with a flashlight with this condition. lol

Speaking of mirror squatting... I've noticed the last couple days it seems a lot of the glands around my anus might be "leaking" a little bit of fluid. does that sounds right?

8/26/13 I returned to the clinic for follow up... I reported, "little to no change" Doctor looked at my butt... he did not do a digital or scope - he sort of spread my cheeks and pushed around saying "I don't see anything"
I had to say "see that small, slightly swollen spot to the left of my anus?" yes "ok, see that little dark dot in the middle?" yes "sometimes stuff comes out of there" he told me to get dressed and we'd schedule an exam under anesthesia and possible fistulotomy, possible seton.

I immediately panicked. I do not want this surgical exam, definitely don't want fistulotomy or seton... I don't want to wake up finding out I've been cut or need ass packing on the daily. I've read a lot these procedures are not perfect outcomes and that a lot of follow up is necessary and reoccurence is common!?!?
I am a business owner stuck at work or my business is closed which could result in losing business.

I'm looking for options to healing this condition with natural remedies, food etc. I'm looking for any recommendations to manage this condition and heal it without surgical intervention. I'm not too happy they couldn't confirm more about my condition before surgery.

Any suggestions for natural options are welcomed and appreciated. thanks!
08-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #58
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The exam is done under sedation and is pretty painless. The seton placement - if it is just a seton placement - is generally not bad. I have been dealing with this for a few years now and have never had to deal with packing beyond the first day. I think it is all related to the size of the abscess. Sounds like yours is tiny... there are people on the forum you have ended up with ones the size of a tennis ball.

Heat is always helpful to keep it draining and frankly is the only natural solution I have ever found. Sitz baths with or without epsom salts and heating pads.

The seton will just keep it draining - if they find a fistula, It is basically just a string that runs through it in a loop and when they are confident it will either heal or at least not cause a big abscess they will remove it. If you don't take care of this thing it can go from missing a couple days of work to a couple weeks of work with time in the hospital and daily packing.

You talk about your doctor but don't mention what kind of doctor. I am guessing a Colorectal Surgeon? Don't let anyone else touch the thing.

Symptoms since 98
Resection and diagnosis June 2010
3 fistulas
abscess drained 6 times (so far...)
currently 2 seton in place 1 since 9/11 the other 4/14
1 strange small air pocket with an 8 cm sinus track leading into the great unknown
methotrexate weekly
folic acid
2 lomotil
2 Welchol
B12 injections (monthly)
Remicade

_____
Goodbye Humira
Goodbye Cimzia
Goodbye Azathiprine
08-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #59
BoyMama2000

I ditto Sailorluna! My son just had his 5th surgery for a peri-rectal abscess yesterday. The first four were done by a pediatric surgeon our at our wonderful children's hospital but he really shouldn't have been doing anything. We had to wait 3 months to see an adult colorectal surgeon who treats kids. The first surgeon never really found a fistula. He drained, he put a seton through something that wasn't a fistula and created a larger abscess, he overpacked it and my son was admitted for several days, he then put in a penrose drain that finally gave him relief but a couple months later, it worsened.

This doctor saw him once, scheduled the exam under anaesthesia for yesterday and found 2 fistulas...1 just under the skin and one below it that was deeper but only went through a very small amount of the external sphincter muscle. He saw no abnormal tissue or signs of Crohns in the rectum (his disease has remained in the terminal ileum thus far) and he performed a fistulotomy yesterday. He also "took the roof off" the long term abscess to allow that to finally heal now that it is no longer being fed by 2 fistulas. He used hydrogen peroxide to detect any more fistulas and was 99.5% sure this was it.

I am trying not to focus on this but his life would have been SO MUCH different if we went to this doctor months ago! He would also have much less scarring when this is all said and done.

I EMPLORE anyone going through this to take a little extra time and find a great colorectal surgeon. It is a MUST with this!!! If you need a quick incision and drainage to manage pain short term, do that but don't let them do anything else to you until you see a colorectal surgeon!!!

He looked at me after the surgery sternly in the eyes and said, "If anything like this ever happens again, you must bring him to me!" Of course, I already knew that! Every nurse, anesthesiologist and employee at the surgery center pulled me aside prior to surgery to tell me we have the best doctor and he would be there doctor if they ever needed anything done. That helped me get through the morning. We knew seton placement was also a possibility depending on the location of the fistula. By the way, my son had 2 MRI's that showed no fistulas.

All my best to all of you. We are ready to manage his postop course and pray this is it for a very long time!
08-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #60
BoyMama2000

Oh - sorry inpain..... there really are no natural cures for this. One thing you can try is hyperbaric oxygen if you can get it paid for. That does have some promising results. Whether you try meds like remicade, HBO2 or other means... you need the infection under control and therefore surgical support is really needed whether it be a seton placement or a fistulotomy. They will only do the more curative fistulotomy if you have no active disease in the sigmoid or rectum. If there is, it won't heal. All research shows better results for fistula healing with seton placement during treatment with meds. It will also allow you to live a more pain free existence in the meantime. We were resistant to all of this at first as well. After living with this for 7 months, you become very willing to try things that once seemed unimaginable.

Having a fistulotomy is more common than any of us think. We learned we have two friends without Crohns who had this done. It is just not stuff people talk about...unless they have Crohns and UC!!!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » What's the secret to healing perianal abscess?