Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » What's the secret to healing perianal abscess?

09-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #61
Carl207

My Support Groups:
I'm sory to hear about your'e situation. I too suffer from the abscesses since June 2013. At first I did not know what to think, but I as researched I became aware. I told my doctor about them at my August visit, and he prescribed antibiotics ciproflaxin and flagyl. Within a few days the abscesses were gone. I used all the antibiotics, and a few days ago, I had another abscess in the same place. So, I'm back on the antibotics.
09-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #62
BoyMama2000

Antibiotics do work for some people as a more permanent fix but generally it only keeps them away temporarily and can be a good bridge treatment until you find something that is more effective long term.

My son is doing great since his fistulotomy and debridement of the undermined skin beneath after 7 months of abscessing coming and going. He has had 15 hyperbaric oxygen treatment and his wound is almost healed 3 weeks after surgery. The area was about 1/3 inch deep, 2.5"' x 1" wide. It is amazing how quickly it is healing.

Best of luck to all of you. It is a long road. The success with hyperbaric oxygen for perianal crohns is higher than most therapies and the remission is high as well after treatment is complete. I really hope it is an approved treatment someday.
09-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #63
aruschmann

My Support Groups:
The only times ive had relief from Fistulas and abscess was 1. when I was on Remicade completely healed and was in remission for 8 years. Then it quit working. 2. last year I had a temporary colostomy for 8 months to allow my rectum to heal. Surgeon said it looked like swiss cheese and they removed 6 inches. I currently have a seton placed and it still drains and hurts but no abscess at the moment. Been on many rounds of anti biotics but they dont work for me anymore. Good luck and god bless to all
09-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #64
annawato

My Support Groups:
I've just had a fistulotomy and seton inserted on Monday after doing the antibiotic thing. The antibiotics helped but the abscess came back soon after I stopped them. I developed these whilst having an ileostomy which is really unfair!!!! Hopefully the op will resolve things, I'll let you all know how it goes.
Anal abscesses I've had in the past have healed with just lancing so not sure why they didn't heal this time.

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
09-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #65
BoyMama2000

Best of luck!
09-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #66
annawato

My Support Groups:
Hi Lil Beak. I had a seton inserted 4 days ago because of anal fissure and abscess and fistula that had two tracks. One of the fistulas was laid open which I think is a fistulotomy and the other had the seton inserted. I had very little pain post op although I am on painkillers all the time so maybe they helped. I didn't need any more.
since the op it has been draining a bit of pus and blood but not too much - maybe they cleaned it out whilst I was under.
I have a stoma so thankfully don't have to deal with the pain of passing poop, just the occasional mucus poop. So my symptoms were different to yours. I had a little pain from the fissure and when the abscess closed over and grew it was very painful - a deep ache in the rectum. Otherwise I just had blood and pus draining. I was initially put on cipro which cleared up the infection but it returned pretty quickly.
Other abscesses I've had were incised and cleared up on their own.
I hope you get yours sorted out soon. Don't be afraid of the surgery as it is not as painful as I expected it to be.
anna
09-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #67
smallfry

My Support Groups:
http://crohnic-crohns.tumblr.com/pos...fistula-setons

Just wanted to post a link to some tips I wrote up that have helped me deal with my abscessing and drainage along the way. Hope they are helpful for someone!!

Cheers,
Jen
09-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #68
annawato

My Support Groups:
Thanks Jen, thats a great blog with some handy hints for everyone suffering from draining fistulas and perinanal abscesses.
anna
10-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #69
KarlieK

My Support Groups:
I have had a perirectal abscess since 2011. It has been a painful and hard couple of years. I had two surgeries in 2011, a third surgery in 2012 and just recently a fourth surgery that failed because a major infection. I had a seton that was placed during the second surgery in 2011 and was removed the summer of 2012. Shortly after it was removed I had to have the third surgery to place a new seton. The surgery that just failed was to remove the seton and to place a fistula plug, and to close the incisions that are on either side of my rectum. I am still really bummed that the surgery didn't work especially because I was told that I'm in clinical remission, but the surgeon and I are hoping to try again in a few weeks. I am just curious if anyone has had a fistula plug, and if you have was it successful?
10-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #70
BoyMama2000

I have not had a fistula plug but have heard they can be successful but I heard from my son's surgeon there is about a 30-40% failure rate. He went on to say that with repeated tries, they generally end up working. I also read about doing a fistula plug with an advancement flap (if you are a candidate for that). This can be a bit more successful in some studies. Let us know how you do. As a mom of a kid with 5 surgeries under his belt, I know the frustration with all of this!
10-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #71
KarlieK

My Support Groups:
I am able to do the advancement flap that was part of the surgery plan, along with the fistula plug. I seem to heal well I just cant seem to shake this infection. I'm allergic to flagyl which is always that antibiotic they want to put me on to fix the infection. Surgeries are always the hardest part, luckily I have a great husband that supports me through it all! I hope that your son is doing well!
10-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #72
mish2575

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear about your son, I know his pain.

The only thing that closed the fistula, after the "laying open" surgery was going on Humira every ten days. The fistula closed in two days.

In Crohn's patients usually abscesses come from fistulas that tunnel and create a pocket, hence an abscess.

Good Luck and tell him to keep a positive attitude!
I developed an area of complex/communicating fistulae while on biologics. My first appt, after discovering this via MRI, is the middle of Oct.
10-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #73
BoyMama2000

Thanks. We thought we may have to do the plug but his fistula was simple and superficial so we were able to do a fistulotomy. He is unusual in that his tissue in the colon and rectum shows no signs of Crohn's. He has it in the terminal ileum only. His surgeon who is very experienced is hopeful that he may not be prone to this in the future but time will tell. He and the other surgeon were both surprised to see how healthy and inflammation free his tissue is in that region. Unfortunately the pediatric general surgeon who does do a lot of IBD related surgery was not experienced with perianal issues. Once we went to an adult colorectal surgeon, the fistula was finally found and we got lucky since it didn't go through any muscle.

If any return, we may consider biologics. There is just added risk of other issues such as cancer in young males so we would like to put it off or avoid it if at all possible. Time will tell. He is on pentasa and methotrexate for now. He also had 20 hyperbaric oxygen treatments after surgery to aide in the healing.

I sure hope you can get control of your fistulas since they came back on biologics. Google about hyperbaric oxygen for perianal disease. It shows a lot of promise!!!
10-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #74
KarlieK

My Support Groups:
I did take a look at the hyperbaric oxygen, I think that I will bring that up to my GI and surgeon. I also have no signs of crohn's in my rectum and I only test positive for it in my terminal ileum. My fistula has unfortunately gone through muscle and is deep. It is nice to hear that your son had such a good out come! It helps to hear positive stories! Thanks so much for the information I really appreciate it!
10-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #75
mish2575

My Support Groups:
I printed it too. . Thanks.
10-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #76
BoyMama2000

My son's HBO2 was covered because he had a chronic wound. It is not usually covered for Crohns itself. If you get a doctor to order it, suggest it is worded under codes approved for your insurance. You can get that info from your insurance. You can generally find it online. Then ask the doctor to word it in that fashion. Hospital based units are very costly but worth it if it is covered. If it wasn't covered, we were going to use a single unit that was $175 per treatment. My son had 2 HBO2 board certified doctors that ran his therapy. Up to 11 people could fit in the unit. The doctors said that if you don't see any benefit in 10 sessions, it will likely not help. If you do see benefit, 20 - 60 sessions as long as there is improvement is what you often need for Crohns related fistulas. His sessions were 2 hours. 10-15 to pressurize the cabin, three 30 minute sessions with O2 masks on and 5 min breaks in-between. Then 10 minutes to de-pressurize. He would read, do homework or sleep in his unit. Many of the people in there had wounds from diabetes, carbon monoxide poisoning, brain tumors and some had oral surgeries. It truly was fascinating.

If he had a seton instead of the fistula, I imagine he would have had more than 20 treatments.

Let me know how it goes for you all.
10-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #77
Chow girl

Hi, I'm brand new here even though I've had CD for 25 yrs. My first problemwith CD aside from severe d, pain, weight loss, ect was from a peria abscess. It was drained in emergency with local anaesthetics. It was sooo painful I fainted. It was too severe to heal on its own so I had to have surgery for it. From what I can recall, I was put on cipro had a nurse come in to pack it regularly, was given a peri-bottle and had to take sits baths after each BM. I think I was back to work within a month and it never came back. I was however in remission for a number of years up until 5 yrs ago. Last year, I was convinced something was up and sure enough I has a peria fis which cleared up well w Remicade. I really feel for anyone living with this and thank my lucky stars I haven't had to put up w this again.
07-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #78
jc5329

Hi BoyMama2000,

I am so happy for you that your son is doing great! I am in very bad shape now and basically my doctor here tells me they can not find the inner opening of the fistula and that is why even after 17 procedures i still have recurrences. I was told if I want to have any relieve from the fistula/abscess, i need to have my anus and rectum removed and wearing the bag. I would really want to try your son's dr before the surgery. Really really appreciate it you could let me know the name. I have also send you a private message. you could let me know by sending me a private message if you want. thank you so much!
June
07-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #79
AFS

June, I am very sorry to learn about your suffering. Before deciding on going with a radical surgery like ileostomy, why not learn about the treatment that I underwent? I have posted my story here - https://fistulapatient2patient.wordpress.com/

At the least, you can have it checked by Dr. Bhat before you decide to pursue treatment with him. In doing so, you have very little to lose.
12-30-2015, 12:22 AM   #80
TonyDaTiger

Protein is a good healing agent---meat, fish, eggs are all low fibre options for boosting protein.

I wish I had an answer for your question about how to permanently stop abscesses from occurring, Allicat. I've had them for many many years, but I've never had any medical intervention. The minute I feel one coming on, I call my GI straight away and he puts me on antibiotics. The symptoms that trigger me to assume I've got a fistula or abscess happening are: high temperature, chills, night sweats, lack of appetite, etc. I figure that even if it's not an abscess or fistula, the symptoms indicate some kind of infection, so a 2-3 week course of antibiotics wouldn't be the end of the world, regardless.

When I can feel it on the outside of my anus, I begin to hot compress it several times a day for at least 10 minutes each time (soaking in a hot bath would be helpful as well). Keep the water as hot as possible. Within a few days, the abscess 'breaks' and the puss and other stuff starts to drain out of the abscess. I continue to hot compress until the pain subsides and I can begin sitting again, which is usually quite soon after the abscess breaks.

Don't know if this is helpful for your son or not---abscesses are horrendous and they sure do knock the stuffing out of a person.

I wish him well in his recovery.

Take care,

Kismet
Question if you don't mind I just had an abscess a couple months ago it was taken care of but now I have a second one it was kinda bumpy and filled with pus but the same thing happened I do the same thing you mentioned the sitz bath for 10-15 minutes and it broke open should I be worried that it opened or is that normal ?
01-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #81
earthshine

Open is normal as you want it to drain completely out. I would keep doing sitz baths, Epsom salts also help to draw the stuff out. Keep area clean and dry in between baths. I hope it doesn't become a fistula, tough to heal. May want to consider antibiotics in the sitz bath or oral
01-05-2016, 06:10 AM   #82
mish2575

My Support Groups:
Its difficult to give advice because everyone is different. But I have been abscess free for about 8 years and the complex fistula (that took 7 years to heal via about 5 EUA's and the same amount of seton drains) disappeared about a year ago.

The seton drain was the only route for me as it gave the best chance for it to heal up and I didn't need to take metronidazole and more (which made me feel ill) plus we all take enough tablets already for our condition.
How do you get rid of complex fistulae with a seton? I have them all along my anus and in sphincter muscles.
05-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #83
Scm11478

It seems like so many threads that discuss abscesses indicate they come back....Has anyone actually had an abscess actually heal after just one occurrence? If so, what is your secret??

My son who was diagnosed with Crohn's last summer, developed a perianal abscess that was drained in the ER on July 4th. He came for follow-up this past Monday and surgeon said it had to be re-done in OR under general anesthesia. That happened on Tues, he's been in hospital since then. They dug out major tissue....all indications are no fistula, but abscess went right up to rectum. No signs of crohn's in rectum...but anus was sore and raw from procedure when they did a little biopsy to determine if crohns.

They were giving him Zosyn & vancomycin IV, nothing extra for Crohn's just his 9 mg of entocort and pentasa.

They gave him miralax to avoid hardened stools with pain meds he was on, but that seemed to cause major D in hospital. I asked two nurses and a doc whether he should still be taking miralax since he had several bouts of D a few hours after taking it. Colorectal surgeon said he had to stay on it to avoid hurting abscess, but finally spoke with the GI docs and they said yes, take him off!!! Thank God!

So he is going home today with percoset for pain to be used when packing is changed daily and augmentin. They are setting up Home Health to come out daily to change packing. Thank God for that, too! ER had me try to do it with initial drain and he almost fainted when I tried it!

Besides Zinc, Vitamins A, C & E, probiotics, what else can I give him to expedite healing and prevent recurrence of abscess? He goes back to college in a month!!

Thanks in advance!

My advice, stop letting local surgeons continue cutting, if results aren't worth it.

I had to relocate to Pennsylvania, to be near John Hopkins hospital, from my home in the South on the Gulfcoast, cuz my doctors down there simply aren't smart enuff to deal with the degree of severity my Crohns disease is, and due to its severity, Hopkins doctors took my case on, despite being so far away at that time.. Unfortunately I didn't know then what i know not, so I didn't get away before they basically butchered me first, and now a Fistula that was supposed to have been removed in 2006, is still there and has attached to scar tissue internally, causing an abscess as well as Extra-intestinal Fistula. It's spread from the back side, perianal area, alongside my inner thigh, till it's now reached the pelvic bone and Genital region, causing me a WHOLE BUNCH of new problems that I had NO IDEA Crohns could cause, and pain on a whole new level.

My sex life is now indefinitely on hold, and the surgery to go in and remove scar tissue, abscess, and Fistula, could itself cause erectile dysfunction.., and that will be the proverbial 'straw that breaks the camel's back'..

I wish I had better advice to give. The only advice I have tho, is make sure you've got the best surgeons possible.., and don't ever ignore your gut if it's telling you the surgeon feels unsure about the chances of a successful surgery..
05-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #84
drewpalermo
Banned

My Support Groups:
I went to the ER at Mayo Clinic last year because of a painful abscess that eventually popped by itself the night before I went in. They wanted to do surgery and this and that, but I did it on my own and just stuck with a diet high in organic, cooked vegetables and other things. Yes, not kidding, they healed on their own within a week or so after I got out of the hospital. I didn't even take the antiboitics they prescribed me to take after I left there.

Follow a diet predominantly organic, cooked vegetables, with some animal protein. Include many different greens, 3-4 cans of sardines/ week (for omega 3s and vitamin D), a couple servings of lamb/ week (less hybridized than beef today), certain supplements to speed up renourishing/healing the body: digestive aids, kelp, TMG, zinc, magnesium.

I also drink 10-12 ounces of juiced organic carrot juice each day, with a nub of ginger root thrown in for added medicinal benefits and taste. Throw in a clove or two of garlic for an even better effect. Here's an example of what I eat, I like to start my morning with a pound or so of frozen sweet peas cooked, then get yourself some grass fed butter to put on it, with a raw pastured egg yolk or two, organic dried cilantro/parsley/dill mixed in with the peas, and baked collard/chard chips coated in olive oil, cumin powder, and garlic powder with Real Salt. Delicious way to start the day.

Take out all processed foods, try to cook every meal at home from scratch, and don't complicate the recipes. Mono meals are much easier to digest than a meal with 4 or more different veggies. Oh, and I think I remember drinking plenty of organic aloe vera juice (the Lakewood brand) during healing. My Natural Grocers actually had whole organic aloe vera leaf in stock, and I bought a few of those, and scooped out some of the gel with meals or ate it on its own! Very bitter, but very good for you, especially for Crohns.
10-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #85
AnalAbscess

Mr Palermo, your words are music to my ears. I had a fistula and 5 operations over the space of 15 months and then said enough. I ate vegetables just about all day every day for three months. At the end of it my seton finally fell out itself and the fistula was healed. That was five years ago and since then have been drinking vegetable juice practically every day and I've had no reoccurrence. I would love to hear more about your story. If you are interested please get in touch. PerianalAbscess.org. I should add, what worked for me may not work for everyone but good to know it worked for someone else too. thanks again.
05-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #86
toesaw

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with UC back in the 70's while a young teen. Over years, with diet and medication, I unsuccessfully controlled most of the pain and irregular BM's. Advance 20 years and I have to have major surgery for Meckel Diverticulum, where they remove the extended intestine, this is when I get the Crohn's diagnosis. 5 years later another flare up causes them to remove another blockage in the small intestine and my gall bladder. Repeat another 2 years later and then again 3 years later. I now have had 5 surgeries to remove blockage. A colonoscopy last July showed the Crohn's was in remission, but since then I have had what I thought to be hemorrhoids. Burning, itching and moist feeling around the anus. I tried to self medicate with Preperation H and warm baths, it helped and things seem to clear up, six weeks later, it returns with a vengeance. I cannot get the sensation of having just messed myself to go away. I go to my PC and they send me to a GI specialist. He tells me I have perianal abscess and to stop the Prep H. They do some blood work and informs me that the Crohn's is active once again. He is also suspicious that rectal cancer may be present, but those test results will not be back until next week. In the last week or so, the itching and wet sensation has increased. How do ya deal with all this at work? I have limited my social activities and stay home as much as possible. When out, I do the best I can to keep distance between me and others. What can I do so I don't feel "unclean"? Appreciate any suggestions.
05-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #87
Sorebutt26

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with UC back in the 70's while a young teen. Over years, with diet and medication, I unsuccessfully controlled most of the pain and irregular BM's. Advance 20 years and I have to have major surgery for Meckel Diverticulum, where they remove the extended intestine, this is when I get the Crohn's diagnosis. 5 years later another flare up causes them to remove another blockage in the small intestine and my gall bladder. Repeat another 2 years later and then again 3 years later. I now have had 5 surgeries to remove blockage. A colonoscopy last July showed the Crohn's was in remission, but since then I have had what I thought to be hemorrhoids. Burning, itching and moist feeling around the anus. I tried to self medicate with Preperation H and warm baths, it helped and things seem to clear up, six weeks later, it returns with a vengeance. I cannot get the sensation of having just messed myself to go away. I go to my PC and they send me to a GI specialist. He tells me I have perianal abscess and to stop the Prep H. They do some blood work and informs me that the Crohn's is active once again. He is also suspicious that rectal cancer may be present, but those test results will not be back until next week. In the last week or so, the itching and wet sensation has increased. How do ya deal with all this at work? I have limited my social activities and stay home as much as possible. When out, I do the best I can to keep distance between me and others. What can I do so I don't feel "unclean"? Appreciate any suggestions.
Oh toesaw that's horrible all the best for your results. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

With regards to keeping clean when out and about, gauze between the bum cheeks to absorb any leakage, change this regularly, pad or panty liner in your underwear for extra protection if you have a lot of leakage and wet toilet wipes (not perfumed) or spray saline solution to keep the area clean when out and about.

I hope this helps.

05-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #88
toesaw

Thanks Sorebutt26, those are great suggestions. I really appreciate the information.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » What's the secret to healing perianal abscess?