Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » What kind of pills do you take in a day?

07-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
ryanelensky

what kind of pills do you take in a day?

just trying to get to know what kind of pills everyone else takes for their crohn's disease.

i take:

5 pills of pentasa 3 times a day at 250mg. =3,750mg a day (doctor prescribed)

2 pills of calcium 500 + D a day. (doctor prescribed)

1 pill each morning of one a day weight smart advanced. i picked that pill out because of the iron it gives me and it actually helped me out a lot. though i think it tends to make me a bit dizzy sometime.

prednisone 10mg and i'm on a tappering dosage that started at 4 pills for a week then 3.5 pills next week and so on. (doctor prescribed)

prilosec otc 20mg, just take one each morning and it helps the heartburn big time.

fish oil omega 3 1000mg and i take one of those each morning.

thanks
07-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
DanSJVDavis

Generally I take the minimal dosage of Pentasa right now as we don't have enough money typically for me to up the dosage. It doesn't seem to bother me too much, but there are times when I feel like I should be taking a higher dose. I'm really only taking 1000mg unless I'm starting to feel a little off, then I up it to 2000mg. I take an antacid. Ideally, I'd love to take Nexium, but the old insurance wouldn't allow you to get it until you tried three or four others first (none of which did anything for me when I took samples of them). I take over the counter Prilosec, one or two per day. Other than that I take a vitamin supplement, some Ginko Biloba and Ginseng.

Oh, lately I've been taking Tramadol (50-100mg) for my back and chest pain, but I can't take them for too long because they constipate me.

I WISH we could get some friggin generics of the Crohn's meds. Our new insurance has a higher copay for non generics, which sucks even worse, but a lot of the Crohn's meds and antacids do not have generics.

I Was A Middle Age Writer, my blog on my journey toward becoming a published novelist.

Podunkville FX Pics
Podunkville FX
And here's my MySpace Profile: Dan Davis of Podunkville FX MySpace
07-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
kskitt

im on 25mg prednisone per day(was on 40mg but im on the process of lowering it down to 20 mg tomorrow)

2 adcal d3 per day

im seeing my consultant on thursday to discuss what will happen when i come off the prednisone so im sure my medication will change in about a week
07-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
deanhp

kskitt said:
im on 25mg prednisone per day(was on 40mg but im on the process of lowering it down to 20 mg tomorrow)

2 adcal d3 per day

im seeing my consultant on thursday to discuss what will happen when i come off the prednisone so im sure my medication will change in about a week
I used to take predisone. suposedly you have to ween it off, so you will be taking less mg every couple weeks. This is what you use when you are first diagnosed with chrohns. Did your face start getting all puffy. It makes your face look fat. and you start gaining weight fairly quickly. as it makes you extremly hungry.One thing I didnt like about it was the fact it causes heart palpations.
07-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
bk1579

I take 9 asacol and I'm also on 40 mg of prednisone. Getting ready to taper off that starting Friday. Hopefully I dont flare up again when I get to 20 mg. If so, I have to go back to 40mg and probably start Imuran. Yea, I definately have the puffy face look. I actually feel fat all over. I eat LOTS too!!!
07-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

I am on: 1000mg Pentasa twice a day, 200mg azathioprine a day, calcichew-D3 once a day, multivit once a day as per GP, remicade iv - just finished 3rd dose and due review to see whether it continues every 6-8 wks, also on mebevrine for gut spasm with IBS (newly diagnosed on top of crohn's). Still on 30mg pred - tapering from 40mg, was on iv steroids in hospital last week. Still needing codeine and paracetamol for pain but have managed to reduce from 4 to 2 times a day now so getting there.

Am jumping up and down anyone hear me rattle yet??

OOH yeah and eat?? WHERE'S THE FRIDGE???
07-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
old hat

ack, the list. Let me see here

Multi-vitamin 1/day
Potassium Gluconate 550 mg 1/day
Folic Acid 1,200 mcg 1/day
CLA 1,000 mg 1/day
Pentasa 1,000 mg 3/day
6-mp 50 mg 2.day
Wellbutrin 300mg 1/day
Omeprazole 20mg 1/day
Gabapentin 300mg 1/day
Dicyclomin 20mg 2/day (as needed)
Vitamin B12 injections 1/month
Remicade infusion 1/8weeks

It's always a bit depressing listing all that stuff.
07-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Jeff D.

75 mg 6-mp
One pill Primal Defense
Flinstone vitamin because it is easier to breakdown and get needed nutrients.
07-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
D Bergy

I take four 95% standardized Turmeric extract capsules and four Ginger root capsules spread out through the day. Really do not know if it helps since I can do without it as far as pain is concerned. Studies indicate both reduce inflammation so that is what I am using it for, along with a long list of other benefits.

I also take Primal Defense but I can tell little difference between taking it and not.

I am not taking anything currently since I am experimenting with H Pylori elimination as a cure or treatment for Crohn's.

D Bergy
07-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Cog

I take

Bactrin 1 double strength
Xifaxin x 1
Garden of Life Multi x 4
Omega-3
Glucosamine with MSM
Bentonite
Calcium
Vitamin C

Temporarily Pamine Forte 5mg x 2

Careful diet

C
07-17-2007, 12:22 AM   #11
old hat

DanSJVDavis said:
I take an antacid. Ideally, I'd love to take Nexium, but the old insurance wouldn't allow you to get it until you tried three or four others first (none of which did anything for me when I took samples of them). I take over the counter Prilosec, one or two per day.
For most people, generic Omeprazole (prilosec) is just as effective as the newer Nexium (Esomeprazole). Omeprazole is metabolized into Esomeprazole in the body so, essentially, they are the same thing and have the same effect. The only difference is that the Nexium costs more.

A minority of people do not metabolize the Omeprazole effectively and benefit significantly from the newer product. The rate varies by ethnic group and is roughly 10% in the caucasian population.
07-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
Shoeless

Was taking the Pentasa 15 tabs a day-But have rcently stopped

Now Just 2 Purinethol and a Previcid per day
07-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
healthboy

I usually take these pills in a day

vitamin e
vitamin c
fish liver oil capsule
multivatamins
07-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #14
katiesue1506

1 each of iron and vitamin C and then a Humira shot every other week

however used to be 6 preds, 3 imurans, 2 irons, 2 calciums, 2 vitamin c's, 3 psyllium, and two of something else that i forget what it is.

needless to say im happy with what I've got now.
07-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
Dekar

no medication, i take 1 bio-k a day and drink a crapload of water and exercise, sleep early etc

my gi didnt recommend it but now hes kind of confused/dumbfounded with my progress
07-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #16
D Bergy

Kind of fun to beat them at their own game hey, Dekar

I did the hey, in honor of Canada. Or the UP In Michigan.

D Bergy
07-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #17
Kev

My Support Groups:
Wanna short answer from me for once?

EXPENSIVE ones!

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
01-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #18
ccarp001

12 Asacol pills
2 Immuran
1 Prevacid

Humira every other wk

VitD, Calcium and Mulivitamin

Phenergen/Tramadol/Belladonna as needed
01-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #19
amor151

15mg preds
3000mg pentasa 2 x 500mg 3 times a day
omneprazole
50mg azathioprine
omega 3 fish oil 2000mg
multivitamins
some other supplement cant remember what for though
01-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #20
chris

3000mg pentasa
50mg imuran, reduced from 125mg due to sickness

starting to wonder if these drugs are needed or there is a more natural way.
01-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #21
drew_wymore

Just came off Prednisone and Pentasa

Codeine/Tramadol as needed
25mg DHEA
Flintstone multi vitamin
Phenegren when I feel like riding vomit comet
Lithium
Lamictil

Soon to be going on Imuran and Prednisone again ..

Adding Pred @ 40mg for the next 3 months and 50mg of imuran ramping up depending on how it goes. Had a really bad bought of the D for the past couple days ended up at the clinic seeing my GI and got an IV drip from being severely dehydrated

Last edited by drew_wymore; 01-08-2008 at 04:35 AM.
01-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #22
TammySue62

My Support Groups:
DanSJVDavis said:
Generally I take the minimal dosage of Pentasa right now as we don't have enough money typically for me to up the dosage. It doesn't seem to bother me too much, but there are times when I feel like I should be taking a higher dose. I'm really only taking 1000mg unless I'm starting to feel a little off, then I up it to 2000mg. I take an antacid. Ideally, I'd love to take Nexium, but the old insurance wouldn't allow you to get it until you tried three or four others first (none of which did anything for me when I took samples of them). I take over the counter Prilosec, one or two per day. Other than that I take a vitamin supplement, some Ginko Biloba and Ginseng.

Oh, lately I've been taking Tramadol (50-100mg) for my back and chest pain, but I can't take them for too long because they constipate me.

I WISH we could get some friggin generics of the Crohn's meds. Our new insurance has a higher copay for non generics, which sucks even worse, but a lot of the Crohn's meds and antacids do not have generics.
Hey
Have you ever asked ur Dr. or GI for help with ur meds,because mine gives me pentasa,nexium sometimes VSL#3 when he has it. Dosent hurt to ask.
Also I used to take toroadol for pain too until my pain Dr. said it is not a good drug and they are gonna take it off the shelves.
Try demerol(thats fairly cheap) or dilaudid,oxycodone or oxycotin

HAVE HAD CROHN'S DISEASE FOR 30 YEARS AND STILL GOIN
01-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #23
Farley

Currently on:

2 Asacol a day (think that's 800mg? not sure)
125mg Azathioprine a day
20mg Prednisolone (reducing from 40)
2 Iron tablets a day

Could be worse
01-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #24
RHOV

75 mg azothioprine
30 mg prednisone
50 mg ciprofloxacin 2x per day
iron
vitamin c
multivitamin
some type of painkiller, i forget which generic brand, but the drug is acetaminophen

and i start remicade sometime in the near future

wow, it seems like a lot more than i thought it was now that i write it all out!
01-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #25
MarkyB

2000mg Pentasa,
150mg Azathioprine,
10mg Prednisolone,
Infliximab infusions,
2000mg Omega 3 Fish Oil Capsules,
B12 injections,
Cartons of 'energy' drink (essential elements etc)
Painkillers

- Do they work??? NO!
01-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #26
D Bergy

I hope you are having your liver tested for toxic reactions. Acetaminophen by itself stresses the liver and is the leading cause of liver failure. Combined with your other meds, some of which also stress the liver could lead to a big problem.

Please be careful.

Dan Bergman
01-09-2008, 01:13 AM   #27
snazzy

Im on -

150mg Imuran (Azathioprine)
2x tabs Entocort (Budesonide)
1000mg in morning Pyralin-EN (Sulfasalazine) and again at night

Has changed so many times - these seem to be working really well for me - very happy, touch wood it says this way !!!!!
01-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #28
KCMike

14 months post resection:

DanActive probiotic dairy drink
Multi-vitamin
Calcium chew
occasional iron supplement
yogurt
orange juice with honey

I've only had one cold during that time(it was a bad one though) Not really sure if any of this is helping. I have nothing to compare it to. But I do feel healthy. We'll see how long it lasts.
01-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #29
butt-eze
Superstar

40 mg Nexium
50 mg Zoloft
220 mcg Asmanex

Happy to be off prednisone after two years.
01-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #30
KCMike

Hey, butt-eze,

My wife takes Zoloft and if she skips a day I can really notice a big difference. She gets real subdued and has a low energy level. She calls them her "happy pills". If you don't mind me asking I'm curious how it affects you when you skip a dosage? Thanks

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » What kind of pills do you take in a day?