• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just diagnosed

just diagnosed

diagnosed with moderate Chron's and trying to fight my way through all the info on the web - totally stressed out, lost ten pounds. Had a bad reaction to Pentasa. Very interested in alternative treatment options because I have allergies to a lot of medicines. I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the info. I would love to hear from folks who had some success with homeopathic/naturopathic treatments.

hi, welcome to the forum!
sorry to hear your not having an easy time at the min and about your reaction to pentasa, what type of reaction was it and what are you on now?
i'm afraid i can't help much on the subject of alternative treatments and if i was being completley honest i would be quite sceptical. crohn's is a serious medical conditon that requires medication. some alternative treatment may help but i wouldn't think you would be able to maintain good health on alternative treatment alone.
there are many medications available and if you are allergic to certain meds i'm sure it'll be a case of trial and error and finding one that agrees with you.

some people take fish oil supplements and pro-biotics to help. and many crohn's sufferers use diet to help control symptoms, avoiding foods such as dairy, foods high in fibre and caffeine. some choose a stricter diet avoiding anything containing gluten, this can be quite limiting but i know of some people in this forum who do this and swear by it.

welcome again. and i wish u all the best!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Binchen! Have a look through the Diet and Fitness section as well as the Treatment section. There are many suggestions as to alternative treatments there. I have to say though, I agree with LFB!! Far too many have gone off the meds only to have their IBD come roaring back! Still, I can't fault your desire to treat it naturally. Good luck!