• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello

D

Deke

Hello All,

I've read this and other Crohn's forums for many years and always come away feeling blessed that I have been able to cope without some of the more distressing symptoms that come with the disease. I am 60 years old, had symptoms in my 20's, but didn't actually get diagnosed with Crohn's until 1982. Emergency surgery and all was well. Of course all is not ever well; since then I have had two more resections, untold months (years) on and off prednisone, and some nice long occasional good times. I take the usual 4 grams of Pentsa for maintenance, generic Prilosec for erosion, and vitamin supplements that I need. After many tries at diets, it seems none were acceptable to me because of work and commitments, with one exception - HFCS is off the shopping list and since it was eliminated a year ago, life is easier. It is worth eliminating that ingredient if you are willing to spend just a little time in reading ingredient labels.

My hobbies include traveling, hiking, and boating, many times putting me out of touch with facilities for long periods. No one should feel intimidated to stay away from physical or remote activities unless the activities are too demanding at the moment. With extra planning, and packing "supplies" one can make do very well. At least that has been my experience - admittedly my experience may be more fortunate than others.

I made a mistake of misreading symptoms about five years ago. I had a series of at least six obstructions over three years that would clear in a few days (in the hospital). My gastro-guy argued that I should have surgery since a mechanical obstruction from the previous surgery was as good a reason for the obstruction as active Crohn's. I should have listened, but didn't. Finally after two ruined vacations I followed the good advice, had the resection, and have had no subsequent obstructions.

Crohn's is a tough disease, it affects each of us quite differently. Hopefully the current genetic research will help, but I am not hanging my hat on it. I will continue to do what I enjoy doing and I hope and urge all of my fellow Crohn's travelers to do the same to the extent they are able. Having a supportive partner is a real plus, my wife puts up with a lot or detours!

Cheers! Deke

Good advice Deke.

I assume HFCS is high fructose corn syrup? It is a nasty substance to consume even if you do not have Crohn's. It is in so many things it is hard to get away from it altogether.

Welcome to the forum.

D Bergy

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome Deke,

I am glad you decided to join after reading for a while and posting this. I think your message is a good one, and thank you for taking the time to post it.