• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Budesonide

H

Heathcroft

Hi Kskitt, I was put on to Budesonide so that I could taper off prednisilone. As you probbaly know Budesonide puts the steroid dose stright to the ileum area where presumably your problems are.

Unfortunately it didnt agree with me and gave be cramping so I had to go back on the preds. (Now I am on azathioprine and have been since Jan 1st).

This replaces the steriods completely and so far is workng fine. I hope this effect doesnt happen to you- its supposed to eb very effective- but there are alternatives so don't worry if it does.

thanks.
i was on preds and am just coming off it.In the long run he wants me to be on azathioprine.

D

DarrylP_Ajax

kskitt said:
thanks.
i was on preds and am just coming off it.In the long run he wants me to be on azathioprine.
Hopefully you can get off the steroid based stuff and get on azathioprine (Imuran for me) as soon as possible, for me it has been like a miracle drug (keeping in mind there is no true miracle with CD, lol) since i have been on it its like i have been reborn, i hated Pred with a passion, i didnt get any visbile side effects, but i always felt like crap on it (i think more due to mentally knowing i was on Pred and that i was sick for life made me feel like crap more then anything). As i stated in a thread i put up a week or so ago, i just got a Sig-Scope done and my GI said that my Colon looks incredible, so i am super pleased with Imuran

yeah.i hate beig on steriods, dnt like the side effects and the fact that ppl get it confused with the body building steriods.

D

DarrylP_Ajax

kskitt said:
yeah.i hate beig on steriods, dnt like the side effects and the fact that ppl get it confused with the body building steriods.
HA you think you have that problem? Look at me!! Anytime i got remotely mad about something my friends would start going "Oh, hes got roid rage again!"

They dont realize that if anything, Pred is going to destroy my muscle, not help me gain more

G

goblue650

kskitt said:
hiya.

Just wondering if anyone has been put on Budesonide and what they have found it is like.
I was on Budesonide along with 6-mp for most of the year. It definitely helped keep everything calm down there. However, it gave me insomnia which drove me nuts. Got easier or I got used to the lack of sleep after a month or so, but I decided to stop. It also gave me really bad dry mouth. Not sure if it's the 6-mp or the budesonide as i stopped both at the same time.

Also, when i stopped, I guess i didn't taper down enough as my body went through a helluva withdrawal. I broke out like crazy and just felt really off. but, after a week, my body slowly adjusted back to normal.

Question- I have been searching the internet on this- I have Crohns. I have been on budesonide (entercort ec) for 2-3 years now. Three weeks ago my dr. started to wean me off as my Humira and 6mp seems to have put me into remission. My body has started aching in places I didnt know I had. I went down to 1 pill yesterday, and my hands are cramping and hips ache along with the long bones in my arms and legs....has this happened to anyone else withdrawing off Entocort or budesonide? I dont want to take pain meds...and cant take advil...hot bath soothes me, but not for long....will this go away?

how has the humira worked? have you had really bad symptoms? i am on budesonide and lialda now and humira is what i am about to start but im really scared of the symptoms as im a teen and really want to just live as normal as possible.

I have been taking Budesonide for a little over a month now. I have been taking 6 mg daily. I started on 9 mg but was bumped down when my weight dropped significantly. Up until recently, I had no noticeable side effects, and it helped greatly with inflammation. In the past few days though, I have started feeling quite jittery and restless. I work from home, so today I was able to run stairs and do jumping jacks when I felt that way, which helped me feel like I was getting the restless energy "out of my system". I was very recently diagnosed, and this is my first experience with medications for Crohn's - so I don't have anything to compare it to, but this has been my experience so far. Not too bad, but definitely some noticeable impacts. Hope that's helpful. :)