• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie to this forum; exercise during a flare

I have been diagnosed with Crohns and UC since July, 2000. Had been in remission for 4 years. Since the middle of June, I have had a Crohns flare. I take the usual meds (Colazal and 6mp) and for the last 4 weeks have been taking prednisone, with the last week being 40mg per day. My flare has actually become worse while on the prednisone. I am going in for a Remicade treatement next week. Any time prior I had any minor flare issues, the prednisone would have cleared me up in no time. I'm concerned and frustrated that it is having no effect on me this time. My bathroom trips and bleeding has increased every day since the flare started.

My other concern is that I do a very intense workout routine, P90x. I have been doing it for over 4 years. I haven't done any workouts for almost 2weeks. I'm fearful that the intensity of my workouts will stress/fatigue my system more than it already is and make my condition even worse.

Any ideas as to why the prednisone is having no effect this time around and what are your views and exercising during an intense flare? Your input is appreciated.

Hi Chris2lane,

I'm sorry to hear your not having a great time with the medication at the moment.

I'm not sure what to suggest with the excerise as I've been wondering the same thing! I dont work out intensely but go the gym 3-5 times a week. When I am having a flare up I still try and go but don't know whether I'm doing more harm than good - hopefully someone can let us know!

Rachel

I hope that someone will have the answer to this question too as I teach dance throughout the school year and have stopped my summer exercise routine in case I was stressing out muscles that had enough on their plate. Just been diagnosed though and very new to it all so can only keep fingers crossed for you chris2lane.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Chris and welcome! I am sorry to hear about your current flare. Unfortunately, I have read a few people reporting pred lost its effect. I don't know the reason why, but perhaps your body has just got immune to it. But I am no doctor.

As for continuing your P90x during a flare, I would really try to rest until you are well. That work out is intense for anyone, let alone someone flaring! I am not saying give up exercise all together, but I'd suggest something less stressful on the body like yogo or light cardo (walking, biking, etc.).

I hope you feel better soon and Remicade does wonders!