• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mild Exercise

One of my major symptoms is muscle aches/soreness onset from even the mildest exercise. (A long walk will irritate my joints and make my muscles extremely sore!) My doctor said that this may have to do with me not moving around alot since my diagnosis with all of my fatigue and other stuff going on and that I should be able to gradually build up a tolerance for exercise, etc.
Anyways, I've had swimming reccomended to me, but that's about it. What do you all do for exercise?

I don't really suffer from any joint pain. I do occasionally get rather nasty soreness from time to time but my workouts are fairly intense. I've scaled down the weight lifting over the last couple of years due to the lack of energy. I I now take a pre-workout supplement (jack3d) that gives me enough energy to do some more cardio-based high intensity interval training. I used to be able to do those kind of workouts without any assistance but now I can't even muster up the energy to hit the gym without a supplement. Lately I've been thinking that it's not helping my situation.

I would check out yoga if I were you. I hear a lot of good things about it though I never see any guys in the yoga classes and I do not have the courage to be that one guy. Also, elliptical machines can provide a low impact workout.

If it hurts to go on a long walk, maybe go on a short walk? As he said, work up to it?

Is there anything you can do after exercising to take some of the soreness away like massage, hot tub/bath, heating pad, etc.?

I definitely think trying to exercise is worthwhile for you (and everyone). It has been shown to decrease our response to pain in the long term (although you may have to deal with the acute).

I have arthritis from my Crohn's so I've been going to Physical Therapy so I can learn how to exercise with out breaking. It so far been good at helping me with my stiffness, not so much with pain issues yet but i have hope.

I burn out quick these days. Haven't exercised in quite a while.
Just getting back into it, but I'm starting off very slow... Taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. Then eventually (hopefully) I will get back into the gym for some strength training and more intense cardio.

Thankfully, I have been able to get myself back on track with exercise, but I try not to work-out too much causing more stress on my body. Paul Chek is a great resource for working-in as well as working-out.

I know how you feel. I do exercise, moderately, but found the best remedy is swimming. Not only does it help my joint pain, but feels wonderful when having abdominal pain, which is about everyday. Just walking in a pool or leisurely swimming helps. Best of luck

rygon

For muscle stiffness I'd recommend stretching after exercise. Doesn't have to be a lot (5 mins) but it will help.

I do a lot of walking with the dogs, play football (soccer) most weeks, also yoga when I'm feeling up to it.

I tried to get in to swimming a year ago (which I really enjoyed) but found I'd swim for 3 weeks and then get a kind of sinus infection of some sort for a few weeks, swim for 3 weeks then get a similar sinus infection. I gave up on account of the indoor pool being a giant petri dish :/