• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohns!!

I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease in May after being diagnosed at my GP with IBS, a stomach bug and a stomach infection. When I could finally no longer stand, drink, eat or walk without being sick, in pain or having diarohea I was admitted to hospital by NHS 24. After various tests in the A&E i was a mystery case and got put in the Infectious Diseases Unit. After a colonoscopy and many x-rays and an MRI scan I was diagnosed with Crohns. I spent two and a half weeks in the hospital on IV steroids then moving on to Prednisolone 40mg a day reducing by 5mg a week.
Im now on Remicade every 8weeks at the hospital which seems to be doing the job :) and on Azathiaprine aswell.
I have had a little outbreak of Crohns just now but think I have discovered the trigger is spicy food.
Just thought I would share my story with you all :) xx

Hello Sammio :)
Sorry to hear about your Crohn's diagnosis but it's good that you have found your way to the forum. I don't know what I would have done without it.
That was a pretty dramatic introduction to the disease that you had, but it's good to hear that the meds are helping to get things under control. Long may the improvements last!

Sammio, just a hint stay away from the spicy foods and dairy, it will cause you pain. It is a rough disease and will give you issue but when I was on Remicade life was good. I hope that is works well for you. Keep your head up and live life to the fullest on the days that you feel good and on the days that you don't rest.

Thanks for your support :) Its the first time I have had spicy food since having Crohns and now realise its best to avoid it as much as I enjoy it!! I never knew about the dairy thats great to know. Discovering the triggers is the hardest thing. Remicade is working amazingly for me :) I sure am living life to the fullest now...going to do a Sponsored Skydive next year to raise money for NACC :D Im going to Uni in September so fingers crossed my crohns stays in remission whilst im there xxx

Oh well done you on the skydive :) My friend did this recently for a charity and loved it. If/when I get out of this first flare, I might do one myself!

Hi Sammio, I have recently been diagnosed too...I find I'm OK with dairy, everyone is different with what they can and cant eat, it's a process of elmination and unfortunately learning the hard way! Hope things keep going well for you!

Hi there,
I have been battling crohns for 12 years and i am only 20 years old. you learn quickly what you can and cannot eat thats for sure! #1 problem is alcohol. I have had every test in the book, and 1 surgery, and possibly another coming up. if you have any questions i am all ears :)

Chanteldeneu- How on earth did you manage to cope with having Crohns at such a young age?!?! Im struggling now and im 18 never mind 8!!! You must be a strong person to have been able to deal with it at that age!
When I was in hospital I got told I was really aneamic and received 4blood transfusions but two weeks ago when i was in for Remicade they told me I was still aneamic is there anything I can do to try and help this? I wont get put on tablets or get an iron infusion until after my hospital appointment next week.