• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to site, looking for treatment information

Diagnosis February 2008

New to site but have been reviewing post a few days. Posting to look for information on treatment and diets. I have been on pentasa (2008-2010) and Asacol (2010 to present). I personally feel that I am fairly well controlled on asacol. Occassionally have pain on right side may or may not be related to crohns, possible scarring. After a colonoscopy in December, my GI added in Entocort 9mg. Since have decreased to 6mg and Asacol three times a day. During a recent trip to my GI he informed me he wants me off entocort (fine by me have gained 10+ pounds in 7 months) but he want to transition me to Imuran, eliminating asacol and entocort. Orginally, I liked the idea of decreasing medication and dosages. Labs came back ok. Have been doing some research and am very concerned about the side effects. I work in a hospital as nurse so I am exposed to sick people constantly-worried about the immune suppression. Also concerned about the increased risk of cancer and blood disorders. Also know that this is recommended during pregnancy, not that I am planning on but you never know. Realizing these side effects are rare...still concerned and confused about what to do.

Called the office and left a message about my concerns, not sure where that will go. GI was very "encouraging" about this drug. I just don't feel that my disease state warrents this high level medication. Plus if I start this and it doesn't work...where do you go from there.

Found some information about high protien and low sugar diets that benefit crohns patients...has anyone tried this diet?

For people who are on imuran...how severe were you when you started this medication? Has anyone had problems with blood disorders, pregnancy, and/or cancer?

Looking forward to reviewing the rest of the site and learning more from everyone.

Age 30, diagnosis 2008, prior surgeries appendectomy (when they determined I had crohns, part of colon and illieum removed at that time.

Flair ups maybe twice since 2008 (severe pain and vomiting).

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Jewels and welcome! I can understand your concerns. Our treatment options can sound scary. However, if your disease remains active on your current treatment plan, it may be time to adjust your meds. Your doctor is probably worried about scarring and permanent damage if the inflammation continues for too long. But only you can decide what is the right option for you.

Poke around the Treatment forum, especially the Imuran Club. Actually, I think this recent thread would be very helpful.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Jewels!! Since your GI started you on Ento after your last scope, your disease must have showed new activity despite Asacol. I hope you find a treatment you are comfy with that keeps you in remission. Good luck!

I took Imuran for about a year back in 2003. Mine was a mild/moderate case. Once I was in remission, I weaned off of it. I don't have any lasting effects from it. If it doesn't work, there are definitely more powerful/stronger drugs. The anti-TNF class of drugs are the 'big guns' (Remicade, Cimzia, Humira). When the Crohn's came back for me this time, it was severe so we went straight to Cimzia. Good luck!

Remicade it's the best way . Infusions last about two and half hours you get them every eight weeks, I havent felt better in years your life can completly turn around with remicade.