Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Bowel resection

07-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
BTRoadie

bowel resection

I am having a resection done, the doctor has told me the whole colon is coming out and that a stoma is a possibility either temp or perm, at my upper and lower scope in may they did something ridiculous like 18 biopsies, a few were pre cancer they say, I do however trust the surgeon greatly he took his time with me and spent about an hour and a half explaining things to me, I am incredibly vain and selfish and don't really want to do this but my appointment is in two weeks, I have great friends and family but can't seem to talk about it in too much detail with them, appointment was yesterday with the cool surgeon and even after taking a few lunesta's last night I am still awake, thanks for reading everybody, and your stories have given me a glimmer of hope,

Freaking out
but gonna get great care at the Lahey clinic in Mass, yes I flew 3000 miles for my third opinion

Paul
07-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Nancy Lee

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum.

Yes, I can imagine you must be terrified after hearing that report from your surgeon.
This being your third opinion and you having great trust in this doctor,
I say go with it.
Especially since the biopsies were pre-cancerous.
And if you get a stoma...you will be given the strength to deal with that at the time.
Sometimes with this disease we have to go one step at a time...
and at times those steps appear extremely frightening.
But if you have trust and a good rapport with you doctor,
that makes a heck of a lot of difference.

You can do this...and you will be pleased you went through it
and feel better afterwards.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Sending you healing hugs~Nancy

FaceBook- http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...48&ref=profile

07-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Kev

My Support Groups:
Hey BTRoadie AKA Paul.. I can understand your freaking out. Facing surgery is not a thing that sits well. If it helps at all, I've had a number of operations, my last being a bowel resection. I dreaded it the most, and of all it was the best. That's my story. I only had an anterior resection, removed 1 1/2 feet of colon, but I was up & walking around the afternoon after my morning surgery, and it was like a walk in the park.

Take care, let us know how you make out

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
07-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Sojourn

Your surgeon taking an hour and a half to explain things to you should help you understand all this better. I don't think I've spoken any longer than ten minutes with my GI or surgeon. This is probably my fault as I should have questions ready and insist on seeing scan results etc.

I will definitely force my surgeon to spend more time explaining things to me if he wants to do a resection. I have a CT scan next Monday which will determine if my abscess and fistula are healing and if not, resection will be considered.
07-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Cara Fusinato
Sarcastic Forum Comedian

I'm voting support too . . . I don't fear the surgeries as much as having to be away from home for as long as it takes. It would take me weeks to recover from the mess my husband would leave.

Seriously, it sounds like you have done your homework and talked to some good people and have gotten good advice. Best wishes through the process.
07-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Hi Paul,

I have just escaped hospital after 2.5wks and there was much discussion about surgery for me during it. Things are on hold to see how I get on with the present regime but have been told will be revisited if no better in 4-6wks or if probs sooner. My colonoscopy last Thurs resulted in 16-18 biopsies also - according the registrar that did it ggrrrrr.

Whilst in I met a girl who had a stoma and she said despite the fear of having it beforehand she felt so much better and would do it again! She was able to go home a few days before me and looked great and was managing to eat and feel "comfortable" again. They hope to reverse her stoma at some point.

I know what you face is daunting at the minute but know we are all thinking of you and many will understand your inner turmoils too.

Take each day as it comes - each hour if needs be. Know we are standing beside you each step of the way.

Jan
07-16-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
BTRoadie

Still freaking out and having tons of problems sleeping, going in Wednesday for my pre-op day, small bowel follow through, and a lower scope for some biopsies of the anus and rectum, oh joy barium for breakfast! Thanks for all your kind words, out of lunesta so guess it is going to be bad tv as a sleep aid tonight

Paul
07-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Kev

My Support Groups:
Hey Paul.. A trick that I've used to get to sleep .. is just an old fashioned alarm clock
I focus on the tick tock sound... force everything else from my mind. concentrate on just that steady, monotonous noise.. sort of like a metronome.. or self hynosis. all of the people I've passed this trick on to who used it found that it works (at least all who've reported back).. Give it a shot if you ever run out of lunesta, or whatever. OK
07-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
BTRoadie

Kev,

trust me I have tried the self hypnosis, the alarm clock, counting sheep, pretty much everything, and I am out of lunesta now, hopefully my mind will rest and allow me to sleep after the surgery
07-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
D Bergy

The Lemon Balm tea I use makes you sleepy if you drink a few cups. It tastes pretty good also.

D Bergy
07-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
Nancy Lee

Paul~You're going to be just fine!
Keep that smile on your face and chin up.
We're all here cheering you on...
and sending healing hugs, prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Nancy
07-22-2007, 08:16 AM   #12
ruthymg

Hi Paul, we haven't chatted before but I'd just like to wish you luck. I too was anxious about having resection surgery but all went well and I ended up with a stoma which I am now waiting to have reversed. I was dreading having to cope with a stoma and like you worried about how I would be percieved by other people but honestly, its not that bad. It takes a bit of getting used to but its easier to manage than having constant pain and the big D. Hope all works out for you.

Ruth
07-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #13
BTRoadie

just a few hours left and my colon will be gone, stoma is still a possibility, pray for me
07-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #14
Nancy Lee

~Holding you close in thought and prayer~

Heart hugs~Nancy
07-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #15
Kev

My Support Groups:
consider it done...
10-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #16
BTRoadie

Everyone here is wonderful! your thoughts and prayers worked I had the whole colon removed and no Bag!!! I also quit smoking tobacco 10 weeks so far, cold turkey while in the hospital! I will post more soon about the whole process

Thanks to you all!
Paul
10-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #17
D Bergy

Glad to hear you did not need to use the bag. Quit smoking also! What can I say besides congratulations.

I am sure you have an interesting story about your experience. I look forward to hearing it.

Dan Bergman
10-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #18
Nancy Lee

YAY!!!!!
I knew it would turn out okay!!!
Fill us in when you have the time.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Bowel resection