• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

16 months on

I have had ibd for 16 months now - no history of it in my family so last year (I was in yr 11 at the time) was a bit of a shock to get so sick so quickly - I was really lucky though because it didnt take too long for drs to find what was wrong - I know often people say it takes months to years of feeling sick and not knowing whats wrong - I was really sick for about a month before they found what was wrong - I have IBDU which stands for undetermined as my symptoms are not conclusive as to whether I have chrons or uc - my drs think its uc but are still reluctant to rule out chrons because I have symptoms that suggest that as well - it has meant a lot of playing with medications to find the right ones because there is no straight answer when you have ibdu

I have been really lucky with it - it hasnt changed my life too much (except for the hassle of taking like a billion tablets a day - well 10-12 but still, that feels like heaps when you do it every day!!) - I had a bit of a hard time with it last year just because I had to miss almost a term of school (and I love school, strange I know:ybiggrin:) and still felt pretty sick when I initially went back to school which was frustrating!! Im sure many of you know what that feels like!! Its hard at first knowing that you have this for good and, especially when you are at school, that it is an added pressure others dont have to deal with nor that they understand - Im lucky though because my friends all got the severity of it pretty quickly and were very supportive in my first few months of confusion

This year, although I am already in remission and feel fine most of the time, I definitely feel an extra burden because of it - I am 100% an over-achiever and doing my hsc this year (final school exams in australia) and have been advised by my doctors to keep stress to a minimum - easier said than done!! Its hard watching all my friends stress, as am I, and knowing that they dont have to worry that this stress could make them really sick as well - I feel like there are already enough things to worry about this year and this is so the last thing I want to be thinking about!!! Im sure many of you have been through that stage as well

Anyway, I always feel bad complaining cause when I go for my regular appointments at the hospital for ibd and see others who are really sick and really suffering with this disease I feel bad for complaining because I usually feel fine and look fine too, like you cant tell that Im sick - but it still doesnt make things much easier when I compare myself to my friends who are not suffering from this

Just thought I would join this forum to speak to others who know what this is like - cause although it doesnt effect my day-to-day life, lets face it, it still sucks! haha

Thanks everyone - look forward to speaking to you

Astra

Hiya clf
and welcome

It's ok to vent here, that's what we're here for.
Can I direct you to the Undiagnosed Club? There are lots of peeps in there that can help you, support and advise.
We also have a Teens Only sub forum here, lots of teens struggling with Uni, college and school. You'll find loads of advice and support in there too.
glad you found us, lots of friends here for you.
good luck and
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am glad you are in remission and feeling well. To stay that way, keep up with your meds. And, yes, try to reduce the stress. You sound like me, I am a complete overachiever and put a lot of pressure on myself. I was getting straight A's in college (graduated with a 3.9), but I still managed to have a great deal of anxiety. If you are having problems keeping it in check, you may want to speak with your doctor about taking something to help you manage. I am not a pill pusher, but taking an anti-anxiety medicine in college helped me make it through without having a break down!

David

Co-Founder
Hi clf and welcome! First off, don't compare yourself to others. Everyone is different and everyone is affected by IBD differently. That's awesome that your doctors had things figured out pretty quickly though, I wish that was more of the norm.

Again, welcome, I look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi clf and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of friendly and helpful people on these here who have a lot of experience with both Crohn's and UC so feel free to ask whatever questions are on your mind. Good luck with school!