Share Facebook

03-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #31
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I missed salads for years. I realised a long time ago that fibre made my symptoms worse and so only ate then in small quantities, then with my first two ileostomies I couldn't eat them at all because even small amounts of fibre gave me partial stoma blockages. I couldn't cheat then - I quickly learnt that it really wasn't worth it. I could have one baby tomato a day. Or baby-tomato-sized portions of any salad vegetable (or of many fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals, nuts and seeds, but not all on the same day obviously, more like two or three of these portions a day). Then I got my third stoma last year which doesn't block and I've been gradually increasing my portions with no problems so far and I'm eating normal, though modest, portion sizes now.

I missed salads and apples and pears especially. All those healthy things. Maybe it's easier for some people to cheat with healthy things than it is with sugar or fatty foods because it's been drummed into us that things like salads are good for us that on one level it doesn't feel like cheating. We know salads are good for us so cheating doesn't feel the same as it does with sugary fatty stuff.
03-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #32
lenny
My son seems to do fine with salads. He eats one pretty much every day.

Last edited by lenny; 03-29-2015 at 05:58 PM.
03-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #33
Grumpy1

My Support Groups:
Salads are my bane in life. I love them they don't love me. I have been on a celery and carrot kick which as you probably all know is not a good thing with acute crohns - oh well - I hear them calling me from the fridge gotta go.
03-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #34
Crohns08

First thing I do when my insides are healed enough is to eat a salad. Tear up some prosciutto, some capers, tomatoes, a little cheese, calamatta olives, cucumber, baby spinach... Can you tell I'm Italian? Lol
Yoga
Vitamin D
Gabapentin
SCD Multivitamin
Tums
Percocet
60 mg pred tapering weekly
Protonix
Levofloxin
Surgeries:
09/2011 - Draining an Abcess the size of a lemon!
10/2011 - Same abcess, different approach this time, open incision!

Add Me on Facebook!
03-24-2015, 04:52 AM   #35
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
First thing I do when my insides are healed enough is to eat a salad. Tear up some prosciutto, some capers, tomatoes, a little cheese, calamatta olives, cucumber, baby spinach... Can you tell I'm Italian? Lol
Well the prosciutto and cheese would probably be alright for a lot of people. Your salads sound far superior to mine, which usually consist of tomatoes and cucumber.
03-24-2015, 05:43 AM   #36
lenny
My son does better with tender leaves, like baby spinach and no raw carrots or celery.
03-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #37
cantthinkstr8t

My Support Groups:
All this salad talk is making me want a nice, delicious salad. I love spinach ones with raspberry dressing. I have found that spinach does not upset my stomach as much as other "roughage."

I used to eat a salad a day but have since stopped and am down to only one a week. Sometimes, I fall off the wagon for weeks at a time.
03-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #38
Crohns08

Well the prosciutto and cheese would probably be alright for a lot of people. Your salads sound far superior to mine, which usually consist of tomatoes and cucumber.
Normally yes! Capers wrapped in Mozzarella and prosciutto is a favorite snack of mine but I can't eat prosciutto or soft cheeses while pregnant :/
03-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #39
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
I have some salad most days, though quite often it's not anything more adventurous than lettuce and tomato. Quite often I'll have some cold beef with salad, or a baked potato (I can eat those again post surgery - wasn't able to for years). Last night was cod fillet, chips and of course, salad.

Before I was diagnosed I kept trying different things with my diet but towards the end I was pretty much eating chicken and salad, and fish and salad, which seemed to work out as about the best balance between not making the bowel symptoms too bad, and not making me feel too weak and tired.
03-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #40
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I had salad today: tomatoes, Waldorf salad, cheese, corned beef, cucumber, potato salad. Up until late last year and my last surgery I would have been in agony after eating that unless I'd only eaten the cheese, corned beef and potato salad, and maybe one tiny mouthful of the rest.

This sudden unexpected ability to be able to cope with high residue/high fibre foods is one good thing to come out of my intestinal perforation and the new stoma that was required in order to fix it.

Sorry to those of you who can't eat salad, I thought of you all today when I was eating my lunch and reminded myself not to take the pleasure of cucumber for granted.
03-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #41
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm having salad tomorrow. I'm excited about it! I'm attending a fancy banquet dinner thing for work and I already know that they're going to have the salads set out on the tables ready to go when people walk in. My mouth is watering just thinking about it now! The dinner itself is salmon, well I have salmon all the time so it doesn't sound that amazing. Dessert is chocolate cake, and although I love chocolate cake, I think I'm still looking forward to the salad even more. Is that weird? I'm going to a fancy dinner and I'm most looking forward to the salad?
03-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #42
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
UnXmas, cucumber is sadly one of the things I just cannot tolerate - for some reason, it gives me horrendous heartburn! Which is so weird because it seems like one of the most "cool" foods, it doesn't seem possible but it makes my throat feel like it's been set on fire. Anyway, I appreciate you thinking of us while eating cucumber. I miss cucumber! Glad you're able to enjoy it again!
03-28-2015, 12:35 AM   #43
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I am just now seeing this thread!
My dad has Crohn's, he also has short bowel syndrome. He is in remission and has been for a very lon time. But he still can't eat a salad. To be graphic, he calls himself the "salad shooter". But we all know that sometimes you just need to eat a salad!
When I was REALLY sick in 2009 I remember my sister brought home a bunch of tomatoes and lettuce and all sorts of tasty stuff. She wouldn't let me have any. I woke up in the middle of the night to sneak it! I stood in front of the fridge with a knife, a tomato, and a bottle of ranch. I went to town on it. That tomato was so dang amazing!
There is a restaurant kind of close to where I live called Diced Tomatoes. Its nothing but salads. I keep promising myself when I go back in remission that I have a date with me myself and I!
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
03-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #44
Marlena

My big treat at Sunday coffee hour is one small piece of celery and one of raw red pepper. Livin' high!
04-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #45
Quill

My Support Groups:
LOL, sunflower.

I also still remember my absolute disbelief when I was told I probably should stay away from all fresh salads and veggies. Never knew that there would be a disease that "promotes" the "bad" things!
I agree: could not believe it when I found out. I was a near vegetarian before all of this started and ate all kinds of fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Now I am thankful when I can hold down chicken and plain crackers.
04-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #46
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Went to dinner with a friend yesterday. She started to tell the waiter that she didn't want her salad. I was so quick to offer it to myself. I scarfed it down in about 3 minutes. It was nothing short of amazing!
04-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #47
Marlena

I had butter lettuce and a bit of tomato for dinner today and so far, no problem. A salad! Me ! Woo hoo. Of course it was all ensy weensy, but still...
04-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #48
Saladslayer

Yes, I too am an addict. I struggle everyday to pay attention in class because I am just dreaming about caesare salad. I eat, sleep, breathe salad.