Share Facebook

07-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Jen30

How long did it take u

Hay all. So glad i have found this site. Feels so good other people feel the same as me. My friends just dont understand how it feels. Now is the right time to try for a baby. Has any1 had real problems conceving or have u got pregers straight away. xxx
07-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Lydia

It can take a normal healthy couple up to a year to conceive. So keep that in mind.

With my daughter I was in unmedicated remission. We tried for about 6 months and got pregnant.

We have now been trying to get pregnant since October 2009. I can conceive, I just cant stay pregnant very long. I have had 5 early losses. I have had a bad flare for a few months in there, and I require remicade to keep my flare from coming back. So its a bit different this time around for me.

It depends on the person. Your health at the time of conception also can affect your health during pregnancy. If you are in remission you will likely stay in remission. If you have active disease, 1/3 of women get better, 1/3 stay the same, and 1/3 get worse in terms of their crohns disease. This is a good reason to get your disease under control as much as you can before getting pregnant.
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
We were never able to conceive, even with donor sperm (found out hubby is basically sterile), fertility drugs and timed insemination (at the fertility clinic). I was in remission and not on any meds at the time. But I also have endometriosis and PCOS. It worked out for us, though. We have two beautiful children from Vietnam now.
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
07-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Jen30

Thanx for getting bk to me u to. There is so many what ifs but every1 is differant. Only bn on this site a day and that is clear. Its nice to know there is other people out there with the same worries as u. Hope everything works out the way u want it 2 work out in the future xxxxx
07-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Silvermoon

Hi Jen, and welcome to the forum.

I am one of the unfortunate who was never able to get pregnant - hubby and I have been married for 13 years and the only time I have used any kind of birth control was when I was on meds that you absolutely should NOT get preggers on.... but anyway.....We never wnet through any testing to see if it was me or him, for us it just didn't matter.

I was (un?)fortunate enough to come to terms with possibly not having a baby very early in life, being diagnosed so young and on so many meds early on decreased my chances before I really came into puberty. My hubby still married fully aware of the fact that pregnancy probably wouldn't happen. We always felt that if the time was right, we would adopt as there are SO many children out there that could use good loving homes.

As we got older, children became less of an issue. As a public/school/community health nurse I am surrounded by children all day every day - and I love it! But secretly, I also love the fact that when I come home from work, I have the evening to myself and don't have to "worry" about taking care of some other person. There are times (like now, when I am off work for extended periods of time) that I miss "my kids" - and it is a little hard, but for the most part I accept it.

That being said, there are many women on this forum who have concieved and had awesome pregnancies (I have even heard of women who go into remission by getting preggers - but don't count on it! lol). Like you say, every one is different.

I hope everything goes well for you. If the time is right, your body will know, and it will happen. If it doesn't, there may be a good reason for that, too. One thing this disease has taught me (and is still teaching me) is learning to "...accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference...."

Squishy hugs from The Moon
08-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Miss_sterious

Took us 9 months after going of Birth Control, but only one month when we charted out my fertile days and tried lots then. Best of luck and happy trying!
08-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
lola99

With my first son i was having some tummy issues (undiagnosed). It took about 5-6 months to concieve. With my second son my tummy issues were getting worse i was having cramps bad. It took one try with an ovulation kit to concieve. With each pregnancy my tummy issues disappeared after 2-3 months of pregnancy. I did have one miscarriage at the 5-6 week point in the middle my two pregnancies. I had a vbac with my second son and my stiches pulled apart and my skin degraded on my third degree tear. My obgyn said it could have pulled apart like that from having crohns. I pushed for two hours and he was 8lbs 8oz. I healed thank god but all the nsaids i took made me flare up and thats how i got diagnosed. I wish you all the luck in the world.
08-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
xJillx
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am not a mother or even TTC just yet, but it seems to me that everyone is so different whether you have Crohn's or not. I have family members/friends who have gotten pregnant within weeks and others took months/years.

I wish you luck and have fun trying!

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease - July 2010
Diagnosis of Crohn's Disease Retracted - October 2011

I am still sick and so confused...
08-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was married for couple of years before being able to conceive. I ended up losing two babies in my second trimester. Both my hubby and I thought that I wouldn't be able to carry a pregnancy to term. We adopted our son when he was a day old from my first cousin. Six months later, I found out that I was pregnant with our daughter. Elizabeth was born only three days early. I finally gave birth at age 37.

I wish you luck sweetie.

Pentasa 2x500mg (4 times a day)
Zofran (as needed for nausea)
Ginger Capsules (for Nausea)
Multivitamin
Zoloft 150 mg
Ranitidine 150 mg (2 times a day)
Entocort 3 mg (3 capsules by mouth for 8 weeks, then tapering to 2 capsules for three months)
08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
xJillx
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was married for couple of years before being able to conceive. I ended up losing two babies in my second trimester. Both my hubby and I thought that I wouldn't be able to carry a pregnancy to term. We adopted our son when he was a day old from my first cousin. Six months later, I found out that I was pregnant with our daughter. Elizabeth was born only three days early. I finally gave birth at age 37.

I wish you luck sweetie.
I know several people that have been in similar situations. As soon as they decide to adopt or come to terms with not being able to have children - BAM! I think it has something to do with once the pressure and stress of conceiving is gone, it is easier to get pregnant.
08-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I got pregnant not long after a hospital stay for a flare up.....hadn't planned on it, didn't think about the meds I was on messing up my BC!.....Hubby had himself taken out of hte game when our daughter was just over a year old, so I didn't have to worry about taking any additional meds.....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
08-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was determined not to believe that because I had been so hurt from my losses. It was very true in my case. I know that God works in mysterious ways.
08-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
I know several people that have been in similar situations. As soon as they decide to adopt or come to terms with not being able to have children - BAM! I think it has something to do with once the pressure and stress of conceiving is gone, it is easier to get pregnant.
I sure hope that doesn't happen here! I do NOT want to get pregnant! We adopted 4 years ago, so maybe that window has closed for us. We're done at 2 kids.
08-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Maryam

I got pregnant after 1 month.I don't have Crohns. My hubby has crohns and his sperm count was low my ob/gyn said if it doesn't happen naturally we should consider IVF/ICSI. luckily I got pregnant after 1 month of trying and didn't had to go through IVF/ICSI.

I wish you all the luck and success
supplements: vitamin D,Calcium,Cayenne pepper pill,Ginger Force,
Surgeries: fistulatomy 2010
08-05-2011, 05:11 AM   #15
Jen30

Thanks girls for all ur help. Get the rod taken out my arm in a couple weeks. Not trying to get preggers, cuz dont want it to start taking over my life. If will happen when it happens, if it happens. And as some1 else says there r so many babys out there that need a nice cosy bed to stay in. I will b a mum 1 day. My own or otherwise. And lets face it. It will be good fun trying. Mwah xxx