Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » Healthy as a Horse

07-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Healthy as a Horse

That is what I overheard when my GI was discussing my case file with his intern a couple of weeks ago. The Intern asked, "And he had ALL these symptoms and complications?"

I have come a long way from being rushed into a CT scan and a team being called in during the middle of the night to pour over what appeared to be a large Tumor-like mass in my abdomen. It was a scary time and I sympathize with everyone who is entering this world of crazy GI issues. We didn't know what was up, just that I was losing the ability to eat, sleep, pee, walk and would not be able to make it without serious intervention.

I have a new lease on life and I feel I earned it for doing my part in all this too. Taking my meds, keeping calm, positive and letting the professionals do their job. This week I just signed a contract at a new job working 12 hrs continental shift rotations. I am as healthy as a horse and feel better and stronger than I have in two decades. Last week I was camping and carried my canoe over two 900 yard portages within 4 hours of each other. A couple of years ago I would have told you I would never be able to camp again but I would have been wrong.

I am sticking with my meds, I eat healthy and I exercise moderately. And I feel very glad to be alive and well. Yes Well. I am living with Crohns and have had a bowel resection and some post surgical complications yet I can say that at this point I feel well. Not just ok or better. I feel well.

And so can you. Just hang in there and be positive. It will turn around. I came out of this stronger in mind AND body. It took work but nothing worth having doesn't right?
Rectum? Damn near Killed'em

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
07-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #2

My Support Groups:
Thanks so much for sharing!!! LOVE these success stories!
07-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Congrats man that's awesome all I can say is I'm really happy for it up and I know you will...cause its funny how when you don't feel well for a long time that you realize all you really need is to feel good to truly enjoy and live life to the fullest!
07-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

My Support Groups:
What an inspiration!
dx 2003
Remission 2004-2010
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
07-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thank you for sharing your motivating and well-written story. You have such strong voice - I love it. (Sorry, that's the English teacher in me coming out)

I am so very happy to hear you are doing so well. I hope you continue to feel terrific for years and years and years!

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease - July 2010
Diagnosis of Crohn's Disease Retracted - October 2011

I am still sick and so confused...
07-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Chief Dandelion Picker
Best thing I've read all day, from any source. Thank you for sharing! You absolutely *have* played a major role in getting well again and I admire you for it.
Dx: Moderate Crohn's in 3 locations
Doctor's orders: 200 mg Imuran
Have used: 4500 mg Pentasa, 4500 mg Salofalk, Flagyl, Cipro, 50 mg Prednisone, 9 mg Entocort.
Turned my Crohn's life around: ginger for nausea.
Claim to fame: "loopy and floppy" colon
07-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Super Moderator
Hi Kenny,

I haven't seen you around for a while and I was so hoping it would be for a reason just like this! Congratulations and may it keep on keeping on!

Dusty. xxx
Mum of 2 kids with Crohn's.
07-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Awesome! So happy for you-love the positive attitude!

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
07-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Gwen pippy
Thanks for sharing your story, hope and positive outcomes I love it.

Gwen xxx
07-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
Fantastic! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your story
It's good to be back
08-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #11
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Saying goodbye to the nursery biz Kenny?

Glad to hear you're doing great! May it last a lifetime!
Mark, father of EJ

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
08-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
I am so happy for you, thank you so much for sharing your story with all of us. You are definitely an inspiration.

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 2005
At this time have no GI doc and on no meds.
08-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
this literally brought tears to my eyes [of joy!]. I just got diagnosed a month ago and have been having an incredibly hard time coping and wrapping my head around everything. Reading this though is truly inspiring that one day I and everyone else on here will get better some day. Thank you for sharing =]

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » Healthy as a Horse