• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery in 1995 - not bad since then - no meds

I'm a CD person. Had right hemi-colectomy in 1995 aged 24 and took Asacol for about 10 years following that. Have gradually reduced that to nothing. I have regular B12 injections, and just take cod liver oil. I have random episodes of pain and rushing to the toilet and cramps, but nothing too serious. Back in 1995 before surgery things didn't look so bright - constant pain, unable to eat solid food and huge blood loss daily. When they opened me up there was extensive ulceration but they didn't have to perform a colostomy.

My mother also has Crohns and has had a really similar path - although she sometimes has to go back for short periods onto steroids, generally her health is very good.

Surgery for me has been a life-saver and has hugely enhanced my life. Solid stools returned after just a few days (having not had them for about 5 years). I have travelled around the world for a year, got married (to a doctor, how ironic), had two children :hug: and had a pretty good time overall. Yes, still have to rush to the toilet sometimes, but I'm so grateful I took the decision to have surgery.