• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Being ill again..

being ill again..

hi bare with me never done 1 of these before.i was diagnosed with crohns in 1999,but before that i let my illness get so bad that as soon as i went to the doctors they rang an ambulance to pick me up.i was so stupid to wait so long because it was to do with my bottom and i was a big tattooed ground worker,so i did not any one near my bum.what a mistake that was,i was in in hospital for a month,i had all the right hand side my stomach removed and half of my bum removed,which left me with a scar from the middle of my rib cage to th top of my pelvis and i had to train my bum muscles to hold everything in.i've just been to the docs and been put back on steroids oral and anal and told to stop azathioprine as my white blood cells are very low,so i'm back to the same place i was so long ago.a moral to my story is to anybody wether it be an hairy arsed man to a posh woman when you first get the signs please go to the docs.your health is better than your dignity,belive me i had to have 4 months daily care when i came out of hospital.now it all starts again..

HI there , i did the same thing, back in 1990 i had a terrible pain of my stomach and just passed it off as gas. then i drank alot of beer to kill the pain i was on my way a wedding. so , i drank alot then i went to WR. and started to pass blood but, stupid in all i decided to go to the wedding anyway. on my way there i took with this massive pain in my stomach and had to call an ambulance i was loosing blood fast. i was in hospital a month and they diganosed me Crohn's disease. yea if you feel something is wrong go to the doctor right away or if you in major pain go to the hospital right away. it's not a pleasant ride in the ambulance being in all that pain and waiting in hospital to recover.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome to the forum! I am sorry you had to learn the lesson of not putting off health care the hard way. I hope the steroids gets your Crohn's under control quick.

Do you have a plan for a new maintenance medication being that AZA is now off the table?

Hi Pigtosser:

Welcome to the forum, and you're right, trying to get a hold of Crohn's as soon as possible is important. I, too, was one of those people that waited---my initial experience was that the symptoms would come on for a few days, and then disappear. So I kept assuming that I had a 'bug' or it was food poisoning.

Hopefully, the steroids will help ease the symptoms and that you are able to find something other than Imuran as a maintenance/treatment drug once the doctors taper you off steroids.

Again, welcome!

Cheers,

Kismet

Astra

Hiya Pig
and welcome
not so far from me!

I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way, hopefully you're back on track now.
good luck with the steroids, they should do the trick for you.
Take care
Joan xxx