• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Depression

Ever since I've been diagnosed with crohn's last year, I've developed serious depression.
I dunno whether all of you are just stronger people than me or something, but I am not mentally stable enough to cope with so much physical pain. being in constant pain is just too much.
I've tried everything I can try, and as long as the pain's there I know I'm going to be miserable. I've got my entire life taken away from me, had to quit college and quit my job, and have been stuck in bed for the past year trying think of reasons to keep suffering through it.
I'm currently on 40mg of prozac/fluoxetine, and they help loads but I still get in my down moods where I struggle to find a point. Even if the pain does get a little easier, or I do have a good day, it's always in the back of my mind that it's always gonna get worse and I'm never gonna be the person I was.
at the minute crohns is controlling my life, and if I don't get it under control I know for a fact I'm gonna end up doing something stupid on impulse.
I was supposed to start councelling on saturday, but my stomach wouldn't let me go outside. hopefully next week I'll be able to go though.

How do you guys cope? is it just me who's been affected so badly mentally by the disease? I feel so alone.

Hello comewinter, i have had crohn's for 21 years and also coping with Bipolar disorder(manic depression). It's hard to cope with two things at same time.but, you can do it. it just takes a little time and patience. The pain is real, so is the depression. try to deal with one thing at a time. i asked my doctor about Abilify new depression drug and it has worked wonders for me.But i am no doctor so i don't exactly know what to tell you.
Don't do anything stupid, just hang in there. you came to the right place for you condition alot of people here are going through the same thing you are right now.Just watch what you eat, if you can't stick, with nutritional drinks and gator aid. to keep you hydrated.i think there is a thread here in the forum about diet and exercise and overall being. it would be a great place to start. keep us posted on your condition. this forum is alway here for you. best wishes.

scott

Dont beat yourself up about being depressed. Even people who don't have a disease like crohns have depression. Almost every other person i know is on some sort of antidepressent or anxiety medication. How could a person not get down in the dumps when they feel so bad. I cry every other day just because i feel like there is no hope for my life. I feel like even if i get better i'll have to always worry about getting sick agian. I notice when i feel bad its worse and when im feeling good for awhile im less depressed. I think its important to have a support system and to try to change the way you think about your life. For me its a matter of trying to teach myself to not harp on things. Most everyone i know thats on medication still have problems with their depression. I think that medication alone is not always an answer and that therapy needs to be included too. I cope by trying to keep my mind occupied. Its always worse for me when im sitting around doing nothing. Hang in there.

Hang in there man, I know its really hard to do.
Maybe focus on getting the depression under control, then start working on a nutrition plan/diet. Supplements and the right food choices sure have helped me out a lot.
I'm still fairly new to the disease, but I'd love to help out any way I can. You need anything, just let any of us know. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.
Crohn's (during flares) sure can do serious damage on emotions and relationships, but it's so important to try to stay positive.

I'm also bipolar and my Crohn's flares affect my mood a lot. It's a constant balancing act. I treat both conditions with medications and call the appropriate doctor if one or the other is getting out of control. Just had to do that last week as the depression got worse. It doesn't mean you're weak.

Oh my goodness yes. Been there, done that. I first went to see a child psychologist when I was 12 and my last lot of counselling was last year when someone picked up on the fact that I still had some 'deep issues' from being ill from such a young age.

But do you know what? Now I feel great mentally. I have a positive attitude and I actually love life, even though I'm going to have an ileostomy by the end of the year.

Please, please, please go to counselling though. I have never had to take antidepressants because counselling always helped me enough not to take them. Don't be ashamed either, it's actually a really good thing that you can admit that you're depressed. Not everyone can do that!

Good luck with everything. Hang in there.. you'll get over this :)

Please do not do anything "stupid"! Yes we all have to deal with things emotionally. Some of us more than others but everyday we must deal with things. You are not at all alone in this.

I used a biofeedback technique to limit the pain. I don't know exactly how I did it, but I would sort of meditate the pain away. It took a lot of time to learn this and it's hard to even describe. But I think you will be able to deal with the pain in some way medically and I don't mean pain drugs. See what your doctor can offer, ask other doctors or search this great forum.

As far as losing your "you", I read this in a book. Maybe it works for you maybe not. True the old you is gone and while you may get a few years of remission at a time you will deal with CD for the rest of your life. So the advice is to properly mourn the old you. Cry, wail, say goodbye and let that old you float off to heaven, (for example) or whatever suits you. The old you is indeed gone and you have to let go. Then embrace the new you, the you with this disease. And just like you loved the old you and did things for yourself and planned a life, love the new you and give yourself enough grace to have a disease that will require you to make choices the old you would not have to. You can still do so many wonderful things in this world. Just as people with various disabilities do.

Stay around this place and you will get alot of support. Everyone here understands what you are talking about.

I think when we get diagnosed it hits us just like a loss. I know that I have gone through this when I was first diagnosed and again when I flared really badly after 4 years of remission. Some of these stages can last a long time. Have you considered some sort of therapy. It can help you get through the stages and on your way to acceptance.

- Shock or Disbelief
- Denial
- Anger
- Bargaining
- Guilt
- Depression
- Acceptance and Hope

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I have Crohn's Disease and an anxiety disorder. Evidently the anxiety lead to the depression, or vice versa. I have been taking Zoloft for years. It has really helped the the anxiety disorder. I used to get horrible panic attacks, that would come out of nowhere. It helps with the depression as well, though I also believe that I have S.A.D.S. because of the limited amount of light that we get in our Alaskan winters.

Last edited:
I know the feeling. I was nearly 17 when I got diagnosed so didn't get to finish my A-Levels and for the past 4 years it goes flare, okish, start thinking about getting my life on track, flare, depression. It's a vicious circle but your not alone as much as you feel it. I'm pretty sure everyone on the forum has felt it one time or another and sadly will keep feeling it. It's an awful feeling but don't feel at loss. Keep badgering your doctor to help you. Go to counselling, get some stronger pain meds and maybe find a support group in your area. You will feel better! Just keeping thinking it!! x

Sometimes I get into my ruts. That's when I'm happy that I found my current boyfriend before I was diagnosed. If not, I wouldn't have anyone to help pull me out of those holes I dig.
Mostly I have anger issues. With that, I have my rock music to listen to. Usually it's either Breaking Benjamin or Rise Against that pull me out of my mood. Basically, I jam out in the car to and from work. I am usually exhausted whenever I get to where I was going. Then the anger subsides. Sometimes.
Anyway, you have to have people to talk to. That helps the most with my emotional rides. If nothing else, you always have us.
<3

It's a proven fact that people with chronic medical conditions are often diagnosed with depression or some sort of mental issue. That doesn't mean you HAVE to be chronically ill to be depressed. I know tons of people who are depressed, bipolar, suicidal.. It happens to the best of us. I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, depression, and eating disorders. I'm not sure how accurately I was diagnosed, but I definitely have some mood instability, anger problems, and I deal with my fair share of depression. How could you not feel like that when you are in pain, every single day? This disease can be VERY hard to cope with. All the unanswered questions, unpredictable symptoms, the medications, the tests and procedures, waiting, hospital stays... Everything. The pain is definitely one of the hardest things to deal with. Sometimes I think I'll be in pain for the rest of my life, and it tears me up inside. And the fact that doctors seem so unwilling to help with it. You get treated like a drug addict, and all you're trying to do is find some relief so that you can live a half-normal life. Why is that so wrong?

When I get depressed I think about suicide too. It's always in the back of my mind, "do I want to spend the rest of my life like this?" Sometimes it seems absolutely pointless to continue living, but trust me, it's not. Those good days you have will get more and more frequent until the bad days are a thing of the past. I know it's hard to have faith right now, but I promise the depression will pass. You just have to deal with it as best you can, and try not to do anything you would regret later. Sometimes it's easier to just sleep through a bad day. That's what I do sometimes. Take a sleeping pill and just not deal with it. I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I hope you can see some light at the end of this shitty tunnel, and you realize that you're not alone whatsoever.

Hey comewinter,

I wanted to chime in here and repeat that you are not alone suffering from depression/anxiety and battling this disease. My husband has had a really tough year (he's the one diagnosed) - and as a result I have had a really rough year too. My advice is to keep talking to people (this forum, tho I'm very new to it, is a great start), and maybe if you can't make it into a counselors office you can chat over the phone as a place to start - I would imagine that a counselor would do whatever they could to accommodate you. Hang in there, keep working with your doctors to find the treatments that work best for you (don't be afraid to change things up if they don't work!), and you will have some truly wonderful things to look forward too! Chin up! ~e.r.c

Depression is the normal mental illness to stop, to pause, to relieve, yet day after day, in hospitals all over the country, doctors still attempt to cure depression without making patients aware of the very relief that is available to them for free.

Hi,

I think you would be amazed at how many people you pass by each day that experience low mood/depression and or anxiety. It's quite common with or without a chronic illness. There is such stigma surrounding this topic still and this doesn't help others who feel so alone in their altered mood.
You are certainly not alone here.
If I could give you anything here, it would be to tell you that getting a grip on managing the symptoms of your illness would be a good start. I know, not an easy task, but DOABLE when you have the support. This is where the counseling would be extremely benficial well as staying in touch with members on this forum.
When we feel physically unwell, it lowers our mood, our energy and our ability to function in everyday life most times.
There is a way to work through this, there is a beautiful world with beautiful people that are there when you look. Your view right now is dark and grey, but this can pass.
CBT programs can be very helpful and maybe something you may want to check out when you decide to look at different options for low mood. Talk therapy is wonderful!

Good luck to you.
Smile.....
nat

I've found you all! I'm so pleased because reading some of the other threads I had begun to feel that I was a whinger and not as courageous as some of the other stories I'd read.
I'm now pretty housebound and recently started having panic attacks( seriously not nice) but it lifts my spirits to know that I'm one of you all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings and giving me back some feeling of strength!
I'm retired now but have reverted to hugging my teddy bear when the pains get bad. It doesn't help the pains but the hugging is so nice...I prescribe something soft and fluffy to hug for all of you x

Hi Franciszka, I'm only guessing but I know from my own experience that when I feel very unwell and am not able to go out, it makes my mood low. If this happens over along period of time, as it has with me, the depression can take over and it's not easy to recognize the good things in life. It's different for everyone and I hope it hasn't affected you too badly. You've come to the right place though for support.