• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Septic infection from colitis?

Hi everyone. I was finally diagnosed with crohn's disease this spring. The oddest thing happened to me. I had about a week bad cramping but the worst of it being terriable belly pains for the last three days. Trying to tough it out at home over the weekend, I called my doctor and was put on flagyl. But I woke up with a temp of 104 and knew I probably should take my pride to the hospital and see what was up.
Oddly enough my blood cultures come back positive... and my doctor concluded that I had a nasty bowel infection that brewed into my bloodstream. So quickly! Anyone else had this experience? So i'm still in the hospital.. hoping to get out of here in another day or two.

Welcome to the forum :) ...I hope things will be better for you soon. I haven't had what you are speaking of but there is a ton of info on here, I hope you can find some answers...again welcome!

Unfortunetly, I can't help you here. I've never had this happen to me. But with over 10K members here, I'm sure someone can give you advise. Welcome to the forum, and feel better soon. <3

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome to the forum! I did not have a similar experience, but I have heard of people developing Crohn's after a GI infection.

I hope you start feeling better soon and can go home from the hospital. Keep us posted!

Astra

Hiya csc
and welcome

When I was in hospital last year with a blockage doc said infection had set in and he mentioned peritonitis, which is inflammation of the peritoneum, the membrane that lines the abdominal cavity. This can be localised or generalised, and can be cos of a ruptured organ like the appendix or abdominal trauma. And yes, it happened very quickly! So, did they mention a blockage?
I was put on flagyl too (metronidazole) and Prednisolone.
Talk to your doc, ask him what happened.
Hope you're ok and can avoid surgery, I did, and I'm ok now.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx