• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain beyond belief

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2010. I have had lots of trouble, but can usually control it. Since last week I was in lots of abdominal pain. I went to the ER and they told me it was just a bladder infection and gave me antibiotics. I felt great on Friday, but then Saturday and today I cannot move out of the bed except to run to the bathroom to feel like a need to go, but then cant or only alittle. I cannot keep any food down and did not even eat yesterday. I can only drink water because any juice I drink comes right back up. I have terrible constipation and then will have gas and the pressure will relieve itself for like 5 minutes. The pain is so bad that I can barely stand up. Anyone have any suggestions for me to help the constipation/diarrhea? I know that is weird that I have both. I took Miralax yesterday to help the constipation and then after it passed I took anti-diarrhea meds. Is that bad? I'm wondering if I havent eaten in 24 hours if I should go to the hospital.

Hi there. I agree with Afman, pain and vomiting is not a good sign :-( Have the antibiotics helped with the urine infection? I'm glad you've found us here. Please let us know how you get on.

Defo go to the hospital. I had exactly those symptoms but suffered for weeks. Ended up with surgery which could have been avoided had I not been so pig headed and in denial. Having said that I have been pain free since my op. Good luck and take care
Hugs
Marie

So far havent gone to the hospital. I'm starting to keep food down so I am going to give it until tomorrow. I just hate going to the hospital cause my gastro just always wants to keep me for weeks or more and I am the main source of income for my family.

Go to hospital, your health is more important than anything else, I'm sure your family woudl rather have you healthy and not in pain.

AJxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. It sounds like you are in a bad spot. I agree with everyone above that you should go to the hospital. Your symptoms sound serious. I know you don't want to have a hospital stay and take off work, but if you get worse, you could be out for much, much longer. A few days now is better than a possible week or longer stay down the road. Good luck!

HI there i agree with all the others if it's that bad and you can't keep food down and viomiting and in serious pain i would go to hospital as fast as i can to see what the problem is.

scott

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2010. I have had lots of trouble, but can usually control it. Since last week I was in lots of abdominal pain. I went to the ER and they told me it was just a bladder infection and gave me antibiotics. I felt great on Friday, but then Saturday and today I cannot move out of the bed except to run to the bathroom to feel like a need to go, but then cant or only alittle. I cannot keep any food down and did not even eat yesterday. I can only drink water because any juice I drink comes right back up. I have terrible constipation and then will have gas and the pressure will relieve itself for like 5 minutes. The pain is so bad that I can barely stand up. Anyone have any suggestions for me to help the constipation/diarrhea? I know that is weird that I have both. I took Miralax yesterday to help the constipation and then after it passed I took anti-diarrhea meds. Is that bad? I'm wondering if I havent eaten in 24 hours if I should go to the hospital.
Please go to the hospital, I waited untill I was vomitting diahria, not fun let me tell you that......I was about to explode, If I'd gone there at your stage things would have been a lot better, I waited too long because I didn't know I had Chrons, I thought I had the flu. I almost died that night, please go now, you have a lot of time that I didn't, they can help you.

Wanted to let everyone know I didnt end up in the hospital. The pain passed after some Miralax and time in the bathroom. It sucked but I did ok. I am just really extremely tired now beyond belief from all the straining and constant going to the bathroom. Anyone have any ideas on rehydration besides water. I would like some flavor in my diet?

Sounds like you need to be on some meds for inflammation such as prednisolone. For rehydration try the sports 'isotonic/electrolyte' drinks. Cheaper if you buy the powder and mix it with water yourself - helps me. Good luck.

You eventually build up a tolerance for pain, but that's not necessarily a good thing as it can delay your seeking medical attention when you really should. Pain and vomiting are both signs that your meds aren't working and you need something else like steroids or bowel rest or some other option that you should discuss with your doctor.

For painful cramping, I've found that sublingual hyosciamine works really, really well, but with the caveat that you shouldn't use it to mask your symptoms and avoid your doctor. It should be used to get you by while you wait for your appointment. Ask your doctor about it. I've been using it for a year and I wish I had known about it 20 years ago.