• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Whats The Hampden Roar?

I have suffered with Crohn's Disease for years, which was previously put down to IBS, until i was admitted to hospital early last year in excrutiating and debilatiting pain, which up on i was eventually diagnosed with Crohn's - not before being treated for 2 months for Colitis though - you gotta love the NHS!

I have never really talked to or related to anyone my own kind of age who has Crohn's, and after what i feel is a year and a half of an unsuccessful and prohibiting battle i find myself on this forum looking for answers of some sort - reassurance if you like that i am not alone!!!

Once the doctors finally decided i had Crohn's, after the usual colonoscopy, CT scans etc i was started on Prednisolone and Pentasa. The steroids obviously made a difference but once weaned off them the 'crappy' feeling returned. I was started on Azathioprine but suffered really bad side effects - my belly swelled out and i looked 5 months pregnant lol! Then they tried me on Imuran - just as bad side effects. I moved house to a different area and with that came a change in Consultant.....and a change in attitude to help! The old guy was a few months from retiring and frankly didnt give a flying f**k! He told me my Crohn's was in remission - even though i was doped up to my eyeballs on Codeine Phosphate just to make it through the day and that i didnt need any more treatment, he was referring me to a dietician to experiment with an elimination diet because he suspected my symptoms were food related - aye awrite big man. Of course simplicity does not follow - i am a head chef and pride myself on my reputation of preparing good food and do not let any food leave my kitchen without a taste test - i know one of the worst professions to be in and suffer from a bowel disorder - but why should i let a 'disease' get in the way of me fulfilling my ambitions?

At least thats what i have been telling myself for the past year or so and somehow just struggled on. But recently my symptoms have came back to bite me on the ass stronger - quite literally! I have just been diagnosed with Proctitis and am back on the 'roids' along with Pentasa 'bullets' and my daily dosage of oral Pentasa, Omeprazole, Codeine, Immodium, Ibuprofen and Paracetamol - im a walking chemist lol! My GP thinks im depressed, well no s**t sherlock - would you not be at the prospect of putting up with this mince (yes i am scottish) for the rest of your life??? Finger oot big man lets get it sorted eh!! Its frustrating when it starts to affect your work as many of you will know. I am on my feet all day in the kitchen and where 12/14 hour shifts used to be a dawdle im struggling to put in the basic 8 hour slog, this pisses me off ever so slightly as my team are starting to notice i cant cope aswell - i dont do weakness!!!

Ok rant over from crazy Scottish Lassie lol!
While i have supportive friends around me and a nurse for a mum i dont think anyone knows how you are feeling unless you have experienced it yourself, the same with any disease i suppose. Dont know if ive struck a chord with anyone, even a fellow chef, if not hope my banter was entertaining at least!

P.S. Hampden Roar means 'Whats Happenin?' in Scotland xxxxx

Welcome from a fellow Scot!!

I know how you feel...it took me almost a year to get diagnosed with Crohns...took me months to finally get referred to consultant then had to get Colonoscopy and Endoscopy before finally been diagnosed.

Hope your as well as you can be =)

AJxx

Heh! Heh! See you Jimmy?? This has got to be one of the best opening posts ever :) I'm sorry to hear you have Crohns too but I'm glad you made your way here. We have a couple of other trained chefs with us too. So, have you managed to identify if you have any specific food triggers? Sugars, sweeteners, gluten and yeast are my biggies, so I challenge you to come up with a cake recipe for me.
BTW, go easy on Ibuprofen and Immodium: they're not at all good for Crohnies.
Gaun yersel, hen :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! It must be so tough being a chef! I love, love, love food and struggle with my diet each day. I can only imagine what it must be like for someone around food constantly. Are there a lot of foods you need to avoid?

I hear you on the emotional struggle. I haven't been doing too hot lately, and everyone tells me to stop dwelling about it and put it out of my mind. It's kind of hard to do that when you feel so miserable! So, I can understand if you are feeling depressed. But I hope things turn around for you soon and you start to feel better both physically and emotionally. Hang in there!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Okay, aside from all the och aye's, hoot mon's and dinnae ken's why the hell does Hampden Roar mean what's happenin' ? :ybiggrin:

Dusty. :)

David

Co-Founder
Well, if the chef thing doesn't work out, you can certainly give writing a good shot. That was a very well written opening post and you had me captivated!

WELCOME! I hope to see you around more often and that you're able to get your symptoms under control soon.

*hugs*

Heh! Heh! See you Jimmy?? This has got to be one of the best opening posts ever :) I'm sorry to hear you have Crohns too but I'm glad you made your way here. We have a couple of other trained chefs with us too. So, have you managed to identify if you have any specific food triggers? Sugars, sweeteners, gluten and yeast are my biggies, so I challenge you to come up with a cake recipe for me.
BTW, go easy on Ibuprofen and Immodium: they're not at all good for Crohnies.
Gaun yersel, hen :)
I cant eat Lamb, Beef, Pork, anything spicy, creamy , fatty, rich - absolute mare so it is, sometimes just tasting small amounts sets me off! We actually do a lot of gluten and yeast free baking as it happens, my pastry chef's partner is has some food allergies and he is always experimenting in recipes - leave it with me! Ill go easy on the pills cheerz ; )

Okay, aside from all the och aye's, hoot mon's and dinnae ken's why the hell does Hampden Roar mean what's happenin' ? :ybiggrin:

Dusty. :)
Hampden Roar means wits the score? Wits the score also means whats happenin? Hampden is our national football stadium hence the use of the word score. Commpendre mate? :-/

Hi and welcome! It must be so tough being a chef! I love, love, love food and struggle with my diet each day. I can only imagine what it must be like for someone around food constantly. Are there a lot of foods you need to avoid?

I hear you on the emotional struggle. I haven't been doing too hot lately, and everyone tells me to stop dwelling about it and put it out of my mind. It's kind of hard to do that when you feel so miserable! So, I can understand if you are feeling depressed. But I hope things turn around for you soon and you start to feel better both physically and emotionally. Hang in there!
There is quite a lot of foods i cant eat but ive been a chef for the past 13 years and i enjoy it, Crohn's can go take a run and jump if it thinks its getting in the way of my career though!! Im hoping im on the right track eventually, thanks for your words of support and i hope things perk up for you aswell : )