• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcerative colitus cured

I develped UC in 1983 and I was cured of it in 1990 by having a procedure done called the J-pouch. I do not wear an external bag I have an internal pouch and my colon had removed. The internal pouch was created from my small intestine. I have felt great ever since. :ylol:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Glad to hear that has worked for you all these years! Welcome to the forum...pull up a chair and have a look-see around!

Ian

When I saw the word 'cured' I was expecting another spam post about alternative therapies - but removal of the colon, yep, that ought to do it! Pleased to hear your j-pouch has been so successful. And for over 20 years - that's impressive!

Jessi

Thank you for sharing this with us and for joining the family! I am so happy to hear words like these! It's nice to know that there's hope for people with colitis. I would love to hear all about your current health.

J-pouch surgery

Has anyone else had the J-pouch surgery? If so how are you doing now with it? Mine was done at the Cleveland Clinic Hospital in Ft Lauderdale. :thumleft:

rygon

My mate has had it done which seems to have helped him loads, but he has got something called pouchitus (well thats what hes calling it) not sure on the details but he going between 2 antibiotics which seems to work short term

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hooray! What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.

I hope you always feel so great!

pouchitus

I had pouchitus 2 times since my surgery but I was put on an antibiotic which got rid of it, it was just a minor inconvenience. :soledance:

I too was cured with the same procedure..removal of entire colon and j-pouch from UC back in 93 but my cure was very short lived..3 weeks after the reverse surgery I was told they made a mistake it was crohns all along and no longer cured!! I had mine done at Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Oh. My pouch is still doing well but I have a problem area where it connects with the rectum, I just had an MRI in June. My choices I was given where of the two....Try to fix the pouch through a "pull-down" surgery they would try to pull the bag over the bad part but there is a 50/50 chance it will work or if not I would be left with a permanent illistomy/bag or start remicade and cross my fingers that it will help slow things down. I'm starting remicade next friday!!
Wonderful to hear your success story I am very happy for you...hearing you are cured...ahhh them were wonderful words!!!

thats great to hear! do you still have to watch some of the things you eat because of the pouch? i have crohns, many problems with fistulas and just dx with hidradentitis suppurativa..so ive got alot going on!! did they tell you the bag/j-pouch will last forever? im sorry i dont follow UC much anymore because crohns has overtaken that. my drs have told me that eventually the pouch will no longer be effective and will be replaced with a permanent illistomy, but im trying my hardest to put that off until i have no other options. i have 2 children (c-sections both) and my j-pouch took a beating both pregnancies...its amazing what your body can do and be put through!!

I can eat anything I want except not too many peanuts at one sitting or else I will get cramps in my pouch. I wasn't told how long it would last but now that I am 52 if I had to I could live with a permanent bag if I had to. I never had problems with fistulas. I had a vasectomy when I was 24 because I didn't want to pass the UC in genetically to any children but then I never been married anyway.

I am happy for you also. I just came back from my surgeon apt today and was told that in 6 mths or so i too will get a j pouch and have the reversal. Yet they are still not 100% that it is colitis. But I have had my full colon removed, 2 surgeries and now fighting a clot, but starting to feel better. Glad all is working well for you . It gives us hope.

I have had blood clots 3 times in my right leg, the Hematologist said that when you have UC you have more of a likely hood to get clots. I don't know the reason for that

Mine is located in my abdomen near my liver. I am on Warfarin for the next 3 mths.I dont know much about a j pouch but would like to know more and what is pouchitus, i assume its a infection?.

pouchitus is a bacteria that grows in the pouch and causes cramps. An antibiotic is prescribed to get rid of it, I had it 2 times but the last time was in 1993, it is no big deal, just a minor inconvenience. I was living in Florida at the time and eating a lot of seafood, my gastroenterologist thought that I had gotten the bacteria from eating sea food.

OH well that sounds crappy , no pun intended. lol. I was told at one pt that they left enough there to reconnect, now i hear about the pouch. I guess in the end if they can reverse me then its all good. Does it last long (the infection that is)?. I will say u give me hope. Thanks for writing me back. I am now 3 wks hm from the hospital and am starting to feel better , i still walk slow and am pretty skinny but otherwise starting to feel normal again. Hey thinking of you down there with Irene the crazy hurricane. Got family in NC

Pouchitus

The pouchitus is gone a few days to a week after taking the antibiotic. I am 4 hours drive from the beach so I am unaffected by the hurricanes here, in fact it has been sunny here all day. I lived in South Florida for 25 years before moving here so I have been thru many hurricanes. :strawberry:

wonderful - I have no idea what a j-pouch entails, however, I am glad to read you are well and living.

pouchitis

my younger brother has recurring pouchitis and it IS a big deal. He rotates between 3 antibiotics and is unable to stay off of them. If he goes off of antibiotics, he immediately gets pouchitis again. The colectomy was a "cure" for his UC, but his problems persist.

pouchitus

sorry to see that, I wish him well. I am fortunate to have only had it 2 or 3 times and that was during the first couple of years and I haven't had it since.