• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's little sister

I have joined this website, but I do not have Crohns. However, I have lived with it for over 10 years.

My older sister, who is now 24, was diagnosed with Crohns at the age of 15. At the time, I was only 12, and being so young I was ignorant most of the years of the trial and tribulation she had to go through between doctor appointments, medicines, BMs, pain, and everything in between. I'm 21 now and though I still don't know everything, I do know more and I do understand the hardships this plays now only in her life but everyones.

As I said, she is 24 now and as far as I know has gone through every Crohn's medicine there is and has become immune to them all. Recently she was hospitalized and was given the ultimatum of Cimzia or surgery, which would've meant cutting out the majority of her large intestine because of the inflamation and ulceration. Not wanting to start the surgery at such a young age, she chose Cimzia. We're waiting now to see how this will turn out.

She's more than just a victim of Crohns though. She's a mother of 2 kids, 6 and 2, she's a fiance, she dreams of being a social worker. I know she tries hard to hide it and continue with things normally as if everything is fine. But there are days where she can't get up from the couch because of the pain, and getting her to eat sometimes is a challenge in itself.

I know this may not be any different that some people on here, but that's why I joined. I'm tired of just sitting by and watch her be in pain and not know how to help or what to do. So I hoped that by being here I could learn more about this disease from an insider's perspective, find out ways to help physically or even just emotionally. Maybe even find a way to help put this thing in remission for a while so she can enjoy a semi-normal life for a little while.

Welcome! That's sweet of you to educate yourself about your sister's condition. I'm also on Cimzia. It's a good drug, but it seems to be losing effectiveness for me after 6 months on it. Some people have been on it for 2-3 years and it's still working for them, though. I hope it works that well for your sister!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! It's so wonderful you have joined the forum and want to learn more to help your sister. Having a good support system is so important with this illness. Sometimes the emotional hardships are just as difficult as the physical, and to know you have family and friends who love you means so much.

I hope Cimzia works for your sister, and she starts to feel better soon.

HI there and welcome to the site, you did come to the right place to learn more from a inside perspective view of crohn's many here at the sight been throught it all. i have had for 21 years now and i am still battling it out. just to have you by her side means everything. if she's in that much pain, maybe she can see a GP and get some pain medications for the cramps and the pain. I know it's not much you do for her physically but you can help her emotionally and you are doing just that by joining this forum. i hope the cimzia helps her soon and helps with the pain i went through the same thing when i first started out with this disease and it's a long road but, hopefully she will get over this hurdle and it will go in remission soon. if you have anymore questions just fire away and i am sure the forum will respond. We here at the forum have a great family and great wealth of knowlegde. best wishes. :rosette2:

scott