• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lifes little rollercoaster

Hey everyone.

I've taken enough advice from here that I feel obliged to join this supportive team.

My name is Josh, and I reside in the hobbit-ridden country of New Zealand.

My story starts at 16. As an extremely overweight teenager (quite a life flip) who enjoyed food a little too much, I suddenly found myself repulsed by food.
My appetite instantly went from big to non-existent. Which for someone of my stature, was almost unheard of. Within 6 months I went from 120kg to a mere 58kg. Initially me and my family pinned this on anorexia caused by depression, as I was bullied, and tried all the force-feeding tricks in the book.

Fast forward 3 painfull years.

I developed an abcess on my buttock whilst living away from home, but being stubborn, I ignored it until it got tot he point I couldnt leave my bed.
I forced myself to a doctor, who immediatly send me to the hospital with a "Skip-the-line" card. I was operated on that night and had 750ml (not a typo) drained. I was days away from death.

The resulting hole left from the surgery should have healed in 3 weeks, but after 9 months of daily nurse treatment, I moved home and had a nurse tream me there. Instantly this new nurse knew there was something wrong, and forced me to see a Gastroenterologist. 4 months and 1 colonoscopy later, I was finally diagnosed with Crohns.

Kick started on Pentasa, Azathiprine, Metronidozole and Prednisone, with Folic and Iron to boot, I instantly started getting my appetite back and gained weight, and started to go into remission. Life looked good.

Until I stopped taking my pills.

Everyone thinks they're bulletproof. Start feeling better, stop taking the meds. Bad move for anyone. They are there for a reason.

Back on the flare because of it. Day 2 of prednisone. Hopefully good results all round :)

It's a good thing I have such a supportive family, and a girlfriend that worrys about me more than I do sometimes ;>

Cheers for reading. Glad to be a part of such a helpful community.

Thanks and best wishes.

-Josh

Hello Josh welcome another fellow NZer lol.

Sorry you have been so much, what part of NZ you from?

Hmm reading your story got me thinking I too have stopped or i should say lowered my azathioprine, i shouldn't have but im doing ok and i think the reason im doing it is caz im in denial.

Becca

Good to see us Kiwis are widespread :>

I'm currrently a Wellingtonian, but I spend a bit of time in the shakey city (before it was shakey).

I shouldn't have stopped taking my meds. Doctors gave it to me for good reason, and I found that out the hard way :p

Definately will listen to them more :D..

Take care.

- Josh

Good to see us Kiwis are widespread :>

I'm currrently a Wellingtonian, but I spend a bit of time in the shakey city (before it was shakey).

I shouldn't have stopped taking my meds. Doctors gave it to me for good reason, and I found that out the hard way :p

Definately will listen to them more :D..

Take care.

- Josh
Aw thats cool yea ive been through all the earthquakes, not nice.

Thats very true.

You to take care

Becca

sawdust

Welcome to the forum, Josh!

It sounds like we ended up here the same way; feeling well outweighed the desire to take your meds. Sorry to hear that you're flaring again. :( I learned that lesson too, and it's a bummer.

Lots of great folks here who really understand you! Again, welcome.

HI John. welcome to the forum , sorry about your diagnosis, i have had crohn's for over 21 years now and was in remission for 15 years. but, like you said, you think your bullletproof and i stopped taking my meds. i now have had another flare up and now on preds and other drugs to calm down the inflammation. and it pains like holy hell. nice for you join our little family , but i wouldn't call it small by any stretch of the imagination. People are great here and a great wealth of knowlegde.:rosette2:

Man I'm always sorry to hear about you guys whose diagnosis took years. :( I can't imagine what that's like. My disease has scared the crap out of me more than a few times but with the exception of maybe a few months at age 5, I've always known what it was. I can't imagine being old enough to know it's serious but not knowing what "it" is yet.

I went through the "I'm invincible no meds for me!" phase 2 or 3 times in my life. Like I and others will tell you, it's best to just suck it up and stay on the meds. I know you know that now. It sucks that so many of us do that, though, and cause ourselves more pain than necessary. I have a permanent fistula to show for it.

Good luck to you! Sounds like you're on the right track, now.

Astra

Hiya Josh
and welcome

Yeah, been there, done that!
Idiot that I am, ended up nearly dead in A&E!
There's no way I'll ever stop taking my meds now, I learnt the hard way too!
I have relatives in Wellington, would love to go there one day.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

allieinwonder

Welcome to the Forum Josh!

Wow, what a ride! I understand what you mean about putting things off. I have the same issue...it takes being really sick to get me into a doctors office! I have had scary episodes like that too, and I still have trouble getting myself in line sometimes. I got sick around the same age as you, at 15. I ignored it for 4 years, where I also had weight loss. You really don't realize how much happens in that time until you really look back on it.

I hope the meds you are on now are getting you into remission!

Welcome!

I hate taking meds, so I have been on a rollercoaster in that regard. The moment I start to feel good, I cut back on meds, thinking I can slowly trick my body, and it always catches up to me. So frustrating.

Glad to hear you have such great support!