Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » How many times a day do you have a bowel movement?

View Poll Results: How many BMs do you average per day?
0-1 3 20.00%
2-4 9 60.00%
5-9 3 20.00%
10-15 0 0%
16+ 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

08-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Tina

How many times a day do you have a bowel movement?

On an average day, how many times do you have a BM?
08-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
D Bergy

Once a day now. Two to three times a day before and for awhile after surgery.

D Bergy
08-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
vickyoddsocks
wears odd socks

I'm on the elemental diet so only about twice now - which is a god send! Ususally about 5 times when im eating 'normally'
08-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
sickranchero

I was dealing with 10 or so, but now that I am taking probiotics with my normal medicine, I go once, it is awesome!
08-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Kev

My Support Groups:
At my worst? About 20 + times a day.. back then, personal best on a 'good' day was 10 or less... really great day maybe 5.. since then, I've whittled it down to 2 - 3 on a good day, maybe 2 on a great day... and if I flare, it goes up to about 5 or so. The number isn't so much the big deal, although I loathed spending so much time in the bathroom... the big thing for me was the unpredictable nature of nature calls. I hated trying to go out, or going out, only to be hit with sudden, unexpected urges. I also dreaded (and still do) living with the fear of having an 'accident'. esp. in bed...

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
08-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
skipscrohns

I'd say on a bad day, 12 or so.....on a good day...3-5...I'm on Lomotil, it's for diarreah. For the most part it works, but sometimes my body is going to do what it wants and it won't matter. The Dr. has me on 2 pills, 3X a day...I usually get away with 2-4 pills a day...

Skip
08-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Sojourn

Now that I'm on Prednisone, I'm down to about 1 or 2 day as long as I don't eat until I'm stuffed. Without Pred, it was about 5-10 depending on food intake and sleeping patterns. Also, do you count another one when you go and get up and then have to sit right back down within a few minutes or less? Those could really add up on some days.
Contract job in Iraq: 2006
Abscess drained, temp. ostomy: June 2007
Lap-right-hemicolectomy: October 2007

Done
08-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
tonya_n_ky

Depends on the day...If I don't take my meds then 10-15 some days, on my meds I skip a day then start again once the med is out of my system. My doctor has me on cholestyramine powder and it really helps me. It does cause some bloatiness but I'd rather have that and be able to go out peacefully. I'd recommend asking your dr about it. It's a med used for cholesterol but a side effect is constipation, which in our case is a good thing. Found a good link...Maybe it'll help a few of ya out.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/cholestyramine.htm
08-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
Cog

At best 6 times a day at worst every hour or so. Colectomy has increased the frequency but reduced everything else. So no complaints. I had a recent run in with the gut - excuse the pun. Finally the frequency settled down with probiotics. Tried a few other drugs without too much effect - strangely

Last edited by Cog; 08-19-2007 at 10:05 PM.
09-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
Mazen

Once or twice or never. I never had D, except if I have some kind of stomach flu. I seem to suffer from constipation more, where I go 2-3-4 days w/o a BM. When I'm constipated I feel lots of discomfort in my ileum.
09-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
D Bergy

I recently tried Cayenne Pepper capsules. Supposed to be good for the stomach.
They gave me the big D. Afterwards everything turned normal. This may help constipation since it makes your digestive system speed up a bit. I do not recommend it any other time for Crohn's. It makes things too fast for most people.

Dan Bergman
09-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
Kev

My Support Groups:
Hey Dan... Were there any fillers in those cayenne pepper capsules? Or is big 'D' the intent of taking them... I never knew cayenne pepper was good for the stomach, I love it as a spice (old days, pre bland diet restrictions), and I used it to keep ants out of my house on the beach.... Professional pest control treatments didn't work, same for OTC pesticides, but sprinkling cayenne pepper around the perimeter did the trick.
Go figure. Also heard (never had the occasion to try) that it will stop tracking dogs in their tracks, supposedly can even permanently damage a bloodhound's olefactory (sp?) organs. I can't imagine what a BM laced with it would do to them?
Then again, I can't imagine what one of mine w/o cayenne would do to them either... lucky for them, I may be on the run, but I'm not a criminal...
09-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
D Bergy

I was curious if the hotness of it would bother me. It did not bother me in the least.

I also speculated that being it is a mild irritant and may help mucous production. I may have even read that at one time. I only took one a day, but that was plenty.
Some of my food was not even digested it provoked such a speedy trip through the intestines. While I could not taste the pepper, being it was in a capsule, I could tell that I took it in the bathroom, if you know what I mean.

Maybe one whole capsule is too much for your average Crohnie to handle. I love it on food and that amount does not bring that reaction. But, if one has a sluggish intestinal tract it should solve that problem.

The gelatin in the capsule and Magnesium Stearate is the only other ingredients.

They did the tracking dog thing on Myth Busters or some other show with pepper and other things. It did not even slow the dogs down. I was disappointed and will never look at the movie "Cool Hand Luke" in the same way.

Dan Bergman
11-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
Cog

Well I had another run in with the gut on frequency and thank you Tonya I asked for some Cholestyramine and it has really helped. It really goes to show how helpful these forums can be. I can sleep at night for more than an hour at a time I am not planning my trip too and from work such that a restroom is close by. If I am flyng I am not dashing off the restroom just before we land in case we start circling the airport. Life is good again - Thanks
11-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
MarkyB

Got used to going 10+ times a day, constant 'D'. Since having my first Infliximab infusion dropped to maybe 6-8 times with less 'D'. A vast improvement for me. But from being very loose to something like 'normal' takes time to get used to as well. It's funny what you accept / put up with and how 'normality' can seem 'abnormal' to begin with ... (if that makes sense!!?) Let's see if my next infusion on Friday makes further improvements.
12-02-2007, 02:50 AM   #16
Jvstin

three usually. I wake up and have one, then after being up and moving and such, I have a "follow up" trip.
then usually later on in the day I may go.
this is based on good days.
12-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #17
Wiles

I have less now since I had my operation.

I have 3-4 on a good day and 10+ on a bad day.
04-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
Colt

I guess I'm the freak of the group. But I also haven't had any surgeries and I'm not using steroids. I usually have constipation. Without my stool softeners and such I'll usually go about 3 days and start showing signs of a bowel obstruction and then I manage to get enough out to get the signs to go away. At times though (like now) I have soft but solid stools and go maybe 2-5 times a day.

My urgency problem is urination. I guess my intestines are always so swollen up that my bladder gets crushed and I end up with the same bladder habits as my 40 weeks pregnant wife. Every hour, maybe 2 if I try to hold it and resist.

Last edited by Colt; 04-02-2008 at 02:13 PM.
04-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #19
Kev

My Support Groups:
anti inflammatories can cause more frequent urination too...
04-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #20
Colt

I only take NSAIDs and only PRN. Usually a couple times a week so I've pretty much ruled that out.
04-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #21
Kev

My Support Groups:
NSAIDS Non steroidal anti inflammatories... which can increase your urine output
04-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #22
Colt

I realize. I was making a point of not being on steroids and having the symptoms even when I'm between NSAID uses.
01-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #23
tlc-x
Undiagnosed Teenager

None for the past 4 days.
~ All my cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents have either CD or UC
~ Fifth year of not living my life properly due to the symptoms
~ Endoscopy, colonscopies, MRI scans, ultrasound scans, blood tests, biopsies, urine tests and so on!
~ Been on so many different medications and nothing actually helps
~ Latest diagnosis is 'Functional Dyspepsia'

01-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #24
aboarna

I'm having 1 on good days, sometimes none for 2 days which I also consider that is a good output, 2 to 4 on bad days (and I feel sore on the right side), and sometimes I get constipated for 3 to 4 days (and feel sore on the right side).
01-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #25
Tiffany

I'm in the middle of a diagnosis of possible crohns, but i'll tell you anyways: On a bad day 8-10 times. On good days I go 2-3 times.
My Boyfriend who also suffers from Crohns (what a lucky pair we are) at his worst was going 10-15 times a day. Now that he is on meds he has told me he goes once a day and on bad days a believe around 5 times.
01-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #26
ekay03
My dog has hands!

once or twice a day, thats it!
Nexium
Buspar
Zoloft
amlodipine
clonidine
Ferrous Sulfate
Folic acid
multivitamin
Bentyl as needed
Lyrica x2 daily for pain
Norco as needed for pain
Ondansetron as needed for nausea
Miacalcin for the bones
That's a lot of stuff, but I feel good

Friend me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=580468712
01-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
braveheart
Passionate Dreamer

Check this:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=14153
01-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #28
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
I'm averaging 7-8/day. Really bad days are 10+ and decent days are <5.
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
01-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #29
moogie

When I am strerssed out or when remi starts to fail I go about 10 times a day. When everything works normally I go about 5 times a day. When I just go 1 or 2 times something is very wrong somewhere LOL
Remicaide
Getting Remicade every 8 weeks
Getting 5mg now. full dose. cost 5500$ )
Purinathol 75mg a day

3 resections
2 colostomy
One Ileostomy
Back to normal since May 2015
On Remicade Since April 2011 I am alive again!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » How many times a day do you have a bowel movement?