• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need Exercise Advice

Hi,

I am currently quite sick with my crohns and have been goin to the washroom 20-25 times a day for the past 6 months or so. I'm 5'10, 22 years old and currently weigh about 110 pounds. I'm currently on a maintenance dose of prednisone of 15 mg and currently on a clinical trial for vedolizmunab.

I'm looking for advice on what type of mild workout routine (ie something with free weights?) I could do at home to make sure my bones and muscle density/mass don't worsen. They are already quite weak. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Hi Ottowa. although I teach dance and like to keep fit I wouldn't like to advise anything in particular as I wouldn't like to encourage the wrong type of fitness for you or too much. Personally I do kettle bells and zumba via Wii and DVD at home but that only suits me and I only do it when I feel good. Can you ask your doctor or a fitness instructor face to face what you should be doing. At least then they can see how you are, tell you what to do and tell you when to stop as well. Have you been working out before or are you a total beginner? you dont want to do more harm than good. I understand why you want to exercise of course and hope you can find something that will work for you but I really think that you should make an appointment to speak with an instructor/doctor first. Sorry I know this might not be so helpful. Maybe someone else will have a better idea. anyway best of luck with it and hope you feel better and stronger soon.:goodluck:

Walking daily will help, you need regular weight bearing exercises and plenty of calcium in your diet to help prevent osteoporosis, you could also try gentl weights in the gym and a pilates class to strengthen your core.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'd prefer to do exercise at home since I am running to the washroom 20+ times a day. I decided to start with light ten pound free weights yesterday and did some basic exercises for 20 minutes yesterday. Did a few sets of bicep/hammer curls, arnold curls, and tricep pullbacks (i think that's what they are called). Due to my current health and being on prednisone, I'm not sure whether I should maintain this light weight, or try to increase by 5 pounds in a couple of weeks.

Also I have plenty of calcium and vitamin d and protein (for my weight especially) in my diet...just not sure how much of it I retain due to all my washroom visits.

Do you have a treadmill or access to one? It would help build up the density of your legs / hips, you could try an exercise video if u want to stay at home. Your doing the right thing start of and gradually build up. Do you have osteoporosis or osteopenia, what is your bone density like eg mild mod or severe? I hope you get an exercise routine very soon it's great your keen to keep fit as it really helps.

Have you seen that Sit and Be Fit show on PBS? Its fairly mild and designed for disabled and elderly people so they dont lose muscle tone and bone mass. I think its on PBS everyday. It could be something to start with, and it wont tire you out too much.

you might want to ask to see a physical therapist to get some ideas on exercises. just get a handful of appointments, so that you can keep (gain some) strengths and flexibility, without causing any physical stress.

Hi,

thanks for all the advice again. I've done mild and short free weight exercises (both lower and upper body) the past few days. I've noticed that my energy or joints havent been to much of a problem. However, my bowels are moving even more and I'm goin to the washroom 30+ times a day.

Also I have osteopenia. I haven't had my bone density checked for three years, but I was rly low for my arms and legs, and mild to moderate for my back and hips.

Hi,

thanks for all the advice again. I've done mild and short free weight exercises (both lower and upper body) the past few days. I've noticed that my energy or joints havent been to much of a problem. However, my bowels are moving even more and I'm goin to the washroom 30+ times a day.

Also I have osteopenia. I haven't had my bone density checked for three years, but I was rly low for my arms and legs, and mild to moderate for my back and hips.
Hey Ottowa. Did you manage to have a word with anyone in fitness at all yet to get any recommendations?