• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's...

Hi I’m 19 and I was diagnosed with crohn’s two years ago. Before that I would have 2-4 major flare ups a year that would keep me out of school. It wasn’t until I started passing out that my mom decided that the usual answer of “oh it seems to just be stomach pain” wasn’t good enough. After seeing a lot of doctors and doing numerous tests it was either chronic appendicitis or crohn’s. They sent me to a GI who did a colonoscopy and confirmed that it was crohn’s.

I know it’s hard on my mom, especially since I’m in college now. I don’t make a big show of telling people I have crohn’s and I don’t really complain about it out loud or anything, in fact I don’t really talk about it unless I’m at a doctor’s appointment.

Honestly, I thought, “crohn’s disease okay no biggie just get bad stomach pain, gas, and occasional vomiting, I’ve dealt with that for years without having a name to go on so I’ll be fine” However, since I’m practically always getting blood work done during my breaks from school I’ve learned that I’m anemic, have a vitamin D deficiency and for now that is the extent. Crohn’s causes a lot more trouble than I initially realized.

Does it get worse over the years? Because that’s one of my major concerns.

Youth definitely seems to make it easier for most people. That spells big trouble for my 13 year old, who's had it for 10 years and is already not doing well with it.

I know that my disease is much worse now, in year 28, than it was when I was diagnosed at age 6 (year "one").

I think it's very important to monitor your health as you're doing now and to make up for any shortcomings like your anema and D deficiency religiously. The healthier you keep your general "self", the more of your youthful healing factor you're likely to retain as you age. It definitely seems to make a big difference in my case. I've always been sort of cavalier about my CD and as I get older I find I can't ignore it, or nearly ignore it, like I used to.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. I think we are all concerned about how our Crohn's will be as we age. But the truth is, we are all so different, so it is impossible to know. As muppet said, you just have to take care of yourself the best that you possibly can to avoid future issues. Watch your diet, exercise, take your meds and needed vitamins/supplements, de-stress, and be proactive about your health.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome! Here's hoping that your treatment is able to take you into a LONG remission which will put your mind at ease :)

What sort of treatment do they have you on for the anemia?

Take care!

Hope This Helps a Little . . .

Hi, I don't blame your concern, and I'm going to go off on a quick tangent before I address the whole age issue ~ I understand how difficult it can be going through college with a gazillion doctor's visits while you're trying to attend your classes, as I am trying to do right now (although I'm almost twice your age and a wife which makes things even more complicated!) :study: ~ I know you don't want to mention it to anyone in school, but it maybe a good idea to at least make your teachers aware of your situation, that way if you have to miss class or a test or whatnot, they are already aware of what's going on and won't question you~
Secondly, does Crohn's grow worse with age? Unfortunately, you're going to see many of our experiences, including mine, kind of indicate that it does; However, don't let that bring you down, because first, it's not (as you may know), just one great long miserable experience year after year; You do have remissions (although I can't speak for everyone, at least for my part, I went sometimes seven years or more between relapses).
I guess the best advice I can give is to make sure to research everything about your condition you can, make sure you are under the care of an excellent (not just average, but excellent if you are able to) gastroenterologist and primary care physician, and even when you are feeling good, make sure you're taking all the necessary steps (eating well, trying not to get stressed out, taking necessary medication) to prevent a relapse and keep yourself healthy ~ Good luck with everything!
Take Care,
Nella:rosette1:

Hi I’m 19 and I was diagnosed with crohn’s two years ago. Before that I would have 2-4 major flare ups a year that would keep me out of school. It wasn’t until I started passing out that my mom decided that the usual answer of “oh it seems to just be stomach pain” wasn’t good enough. After seeing a lot of doctors and doing numerous tests it was either chronic appendicitis or crohn’s. They sent me to a GI who did a colonoscopy and confirmed that it was crohn’s.

I know it’s hard on my mom, especially since I’m in college now. I don’t make a big show of telling people I have crohn’s and I don’t really complain about it out loud or anything, in fact I don’t really talk about it unless I’m at a doctor’s appointment.

Honestly, I thought, “crohn’s disease okay no biggie just get bad stomach pain, gas, and occasional vomiting, I’ve dealt with that for years without having a name to go on so I’ll be fine” However, since I’m practically always getting blood work done during my breaks from school I’ve learned that I’m anemic, have a vitamin D deficiency and for now that is the extent. Crohn’s causes a lot more trouble than I initially realized.

Does it get worse over the years? Because that’s one of my major concerns.