Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Have you been tested for Vitamin B12 Deficiency?

View Poll Results: Have you been tested for Vitamin B12 Deficiency?
I have been tested and am NOT deficient 29 22.83%
I have been tested and I AM deficient 69 54.33%
I have not been tested 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

08-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
David
Co-Founder

Have you been tested for Vitamin B12 Deficiency?

Have you been tested for Vitamin B12 deficiency? If so, were you deficient?
08-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
tiloah

My Support Groups:
This is before I had surgery. Does "slightly low" count as deficient? I had to specifically request the testing. My doc told me to take B12 vitamins.

After surgery I brought it up again and he brushed me off again. I will be interested to see what my blood tests show in a month (I will request the B12 test again).
08-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Sarah was tested post op and was deficient. She is on 3 monthly B12 injections for life.

Matt is being monitored at present. He is on monthly bloods and it is tested each time. He is not deficient.

Dusty.
08-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
David
Co-Founder

This is before I had surgery. Does "slightly low" count as deficient? I had to specifically request the testing. My doc told me to take B12 vitamins.

After surgery I brought it up again and he brushed me off again. I will be interested to see what my blood tests show in a month (I will request the B12 test again).
I would count it as deficient, especially by Japanese standards which are about double the rest of the world after they raised it. Don't let your doctor brush you off, we're seeing a lot of people around here who are deficient and feel a lot better after taking proper supplementation.

In addition, as the liver can store years worth of Vitamin B12 (if your enterhepatic circulation is working properly) Vitamin B12 deficiency can sneak up on you after initially being tested and showing normal numbers.
08-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
archie

I had 1 ft of TI removed and am so far not deficient at 260. Don't know what it was pre surgery though and I occasionally take OTC vit B12 suppliments!!

Diagnosed Crohn's 2010
ileocecal resection 2010
Meds: Nil and in remission

08-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I considered it deficient, but I wasn't sure for the purposes of your poll. I am not really sure what to hope for at the next test. I'd like the security of being on B12 shots, but it would also be nice to test with healthy levels and not have to worry about it! We'll see what he says.
08-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Gue33

I regularly give blood and am tested for B12. Sometimes I am deficient, other times not. I do notice that when I am short on the B12 my hands have the pins and needles feeling. That's usually when I forget to take the supplements for a few days.
08-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
David
Co-Founder

I regularly give blood and am tested for B12. Sometimes I am deficient, other times not. I do notice that when I am short on the B12 my hands have the pins and needles feeling. That's usually when I forget to take the supplements for a few days.
Are you just taking oral supplements? If so, have you thought about getting some injections as a loading dose so you aren't borderline and going back and forth between deficient and not deficient?
08-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Gue33

Yes, I am taking oral supplements. I am not deficient that often, so for they work for convenience. I did take injections for a little while, that was several years ago. I would forget to go in. I am my own worst enemy that way. I will need to convince my doctor, I'll have to bring it up when I see him again. He is not a big fan of more needles.
08-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
tobyjug

Currently not taking oral B12 tablets but being monitored to see how it goes. Stopped taking then in June.

I have been tested a few times in the past 18 months and although they stopped the tabs before, it dropped down again, so was put back on them. Worth noting that the crohns was not really under control when they took me of them previously, so hopefully should be ok this time as long as in remission.

Toby
08-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Yep, since having two resections it was inevitable...been getting monthly shots for a year now. It is very crucial to get this checked out. I has been said if you take oral the subliminal ones (under the tongue) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanocobalamin
are the best, most absorbable.
09-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Funlovinpikey

I'm pre-op and have had numerous blood tests, deficient so now on 3monthly jabs for B12 ongoing. Sometimes after being on the jabs a while you build higher levels because the drop inbetween jabs is not long enough for the levels to return to bottom. That means you could have a blood test, it suggests levels are ok and they suggest stopping. Don't let them do this, it'll only be weeks before that Jab you never had you wish you had.

All the best,
10-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #13
allieinwonder

My Support Groups:
I was tested April this year was was deficient, but my GI brushed it off. I was taking supplements at the time (liquid) trying to get more energy because I was tired all the time. A couple weeks ago I explained this to my new GP and she retested me, saying if it was still low she was putting me on injections. It was, but over the phone she decided to put me on tablets instead. I'm still wondering why, since I told her I was on B12 supplements before when I tested low. She wants to wait three months before testing me again, and if it is low THEN she will put me on injections. Does this make sense to anyone? I kind of wish they would just put me on injections now. >.<
DXed with Behcets disease December 7th, 2012. Behcets disease is a very rare autoimmune disease that mimics both Crohns and Lupus, attacking blood vessels all over the body, causing inflammation and damage.
www.behcets.com

Do you love blankets to keep you comfy as much as I do? Fellow spoonies get a 20% discount on my high quality handmade afghans! Just enter SPOONIE at checkout on Etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AllieBlankets
10-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #14
David
Co-Founder

What were your levels at for each test?

What dosage tablets do they have you on and what were you taking before?
10-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
allieinwonder

My Support Groups:
They never told me the exact levels, just said at both they were low, but very close to the lowest normal amounts.

In April I was taking Sublingual liquid, one dropper a day. One dropper had 2500mcg.

My Dr put me back on Sublingual, but tablets, and asked me to get 1000mcg. I couldn't find anything lower than 2500mcg in the short time I had to find the supplement, so I am on that.
10-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
David
Co-Founder

Bummer, I wish you had the levels.

That you've remained low is kind of interesting especially since they haven't found inflammation in you if memory serves. You're not a vegan, right? Are you on oral contraceptives? I've read that can screw with B12. My mind wants me to throw out the idea of pernicious anemia but the supplementation should bypass that. 'Tis weird.

Sorry I'm no help
10-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
allieinwonder

My Support Groups:
Yeah, it is weird. I am on oral contraceptives, but I have been on them for years, and my B12 only started to become low in April. I'm not a vegan either. They think right now it might be another autoimmune illness (lupus specifically) that might be causing my issues, and there is a correlation between low B12 and lupus as well. I'm basically taking a break from IBD tests and exhausting all other routes in the meantime to make sure I'm not missing anything!

You were help, thanks for the input.
10-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
David
Co-Founder

Double checking, the connection between oral contraceptives and B12 is conflicting so I'm not comfortable saying anything definitive there. However, that you have been on it for years would actually make it more likely that you'd be affected if there is indeed a connection. B12 is stored in the liver: up to 5 years worth. So you could slowly be using the ATM and you wouldn't experience any detrimental symptoms while you had money in the bank. But once you're broke, the overdraft fees sure suck.
10-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
allieinwonder

My Support Groups:
Thanks so much for this info!
10-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
allieinwonder

My Support Groups:
I found this online today as well, from the book "Common Chronic Illnesses and their Treatments":

"This essential B12 vitamin is absorbed by the body from foods, through the digestive system via intrinsic factor, which is a protein that allows for this absorption process to take place. In some people, especially those who have autoimmune diseases, the body will begin to create "antibodies" (killer cells from the immune system), directed against intrinsic factor. Over time, these antibodies begin to destroy this substance and the body will eventually have inadequate amounts available for absorbing vitamin B12 from the diet.

People who already have disorders - such as autoimmune thyroid disease, celiac disease, Crohn's disease, Addison's disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune disorders - are at higher risk for developing pernicious anemia."
10-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #21
kiny

Multiple times.

I am tested every time I go to the hospital for a check up. I have gotten a few shots of B12 because of iron defficiency.
10-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Mine was interesting - I was deficient after my first resection - had another 3 since then. My remaining bowel has compensated and can now absorb all on its own. I still take at least 1000 mcg per day, though.
10-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #23
David
Co-Founder

Mine was interesting - I was deficient after my first resection - had another 3 since then. My remaining bowel has compensated and can now absorb all on its own. I still take at least 1000 mcg per day, though.
Interesting! What makes you feel your bowel has compensated and is absorbing in areas other than the terminal ileum?
10-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #24
ellipse22

I am B12 deficient but like Allie my results are normal and I've been told I have IBS. I take 1000mg and no oral contraceptives.
Abdmonial Pain/Bloating
Difficulty Eating
Weight Loss/Gain
Back Pain
Fatigue
B12 Deficient & Low Iron
Stabbing Pains - LRQ Pain
Groin Pain

Meds:
B12
10-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #25
kss

My Support Groups:
So I was diagnosed in 2001. The first time I had a B-12 test was in 2006. The level was about 200, maybe a little less. So since then I've gotten a monthly shot and it's consistently up at about 750 to 800. I give the shots to myself but it used to be that I had to visit the doctor's office. It's about $7 a month to do it myself. It's about $160 to go in and get it done. Absurd.

Also I notice that Whole Foods carries a sublingual B-12 pill. I haven't tried it yet cause it looks like it's more expensive than my once a month shot.
10-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #26
kss

My Support Groups:
Oh, and also I was diagnosed with depression in 2005 and 2006. I didn't really have depression I just needed a B12 shot. No depression meds since I got the injections!
10-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #27
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My doctors told me that I could now absorb B12. Had the same issue with water absorption and several other nutrients. My surgeon said that the inside of my bowel has increased its surface area and has regained some of these abilities (same surgeon has done all 6 of my surgeries - he knows my bowels!)
10-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #28
Jim Gonsler

My Support Groups:
I had surgery to remove a obstruction caused from a Crohn's Disease attack several years ago. Right after the surgery I was told by my doctor, that the section of my ileum and intestines that were removed was the part that absorbed B-12. He went on to say that I would have to have B-12 shots monthly for the rest of my life. I have not been able to prove him wrong once in the last 30 years since I had the surgery. When I tried to pass on the shots, my energy level dropped off the charts and I could not function. If you are in doult, blood tests will quickly indicate a deficiency. Getting the shots regularly is a small price to pay for your improved overall health. I can't imagine where I'd have been without them. Thanks,
Jim
05-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #29
saul

2 years ago I saw my GP as I was losing my balance when out walking slowly with my dog. She ( the GP not the dog!) did blood tests and told me I had a B12 deficiency and put me on 3 monthly injections.
To be honest I`ve never really felt any change in myself ( apart from not losing my balance!) with these injections, but the 6 months ago was diagnosed with Crohns Disease of the terminal ileum, which I now learn is connected to B12 deficiency.
My question is - should I feel any great reaction to the b12 injections other than now being able to walk in a straight line!?
Thanks
Saul
05-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
allieinwonder

My Support Groups:
I am not on injections for my B12 deficiency, but I do feel a difference between being B12 deficient and having good B12 levels. I take a 2500mcg sublingual tablet once a day, where the B12 is absorbed underneath your tongue. They had me try that before they put me on the injections, and it worked well enough to keep doing it. When I forget to take them for a few days, my chronic fatigue gets worse, my vision and balance get worse (dizzyness), and overall I don't feel as well. A lot of people take B12 purely to have more energy instead of caffeine...my husband takes one every morning to start his day.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Have you been tested for Vitamin B12 Deficiency?