• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here

Hi everyone, my name is Jennifer and I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2007. I noticed that each time I ate fried foods or green veggies, I would get this intense pain in my right abd that radiated to my back. My doctor ordered a ultrasound for gallstones twice but each time it was neg. The test did however show enlarged lymphs in my abd which she just brushed away. I was told to take antacids and to basically deal with. (By the way I am a nurse). I made an appt with a GI who immediately suspected Crohns, small bowel series and colonoscopy confirmed.

I am not the "typical" Crohns patient in that I am overweight, which by the way is causing me great deal of stress. I used to be an active person but now I am fatigued all the time. Just made a trip to the ER in which I was told I had acute pancreatits, low potasuim and glucose levels.

I am no longer working because of the stress(frequent flairs). I am still learning what I can and can't eat. I am not bothered with the big "d" but with chronic constipation. I guess I still have not fully accepted that I have crohn's.

Meds
Humira 40mgs
Prednisone
Percocet
Multi vitamin
Flagyl
Bentyl

David

Co-Founder
Hi Jenny and welcome, I'm glad you found your way here :) I'm sorry you've been going through so much however, you poor thing :(

Considering you're low in potassium and due to the symptoms you mention, I've got to ask, have you had your vitamin B12 and iron levels checked?

While everyone is different, be sure to check our our Diet and Fitness forum for some potential dietary ideas.

Again, welcome :) I hope to see you around!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Jenny! Are you still on pred? Humira? and still having frequent flares? Do you have regular GI visits? It doesn't seem your meds are working properly and may be time for a new treatment path. Good luck!!

Astra

Hiya Jenny
and welcome

I agree, maybe it's time to re visit your meds regime?
We all understand what you're going through, hope you find some comfort here with us
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

HI Jennifer, Welcome to the forum, i know it's tough beening diagnosised with crohn's i have had it for 21 years now flare up on and off. i am sorry you are still having flare ups like the others said it maybe the meds may not be working. and like david said get some blood work done up on your B12 it could cause you to be fatigued. i have dealt with constipation and dirreaha. and it is hard. because crohn's is so unpredictable.But, you came to the right place. People here are great and a great support system. and a great world of knowledge. so if you have any question just fire away and people here at the forum will respond.Best wishes:rosette2:

scott

Thanks eveyone for the warm welcome. I feel a little better today, guess I was a bit down in the dumps last night. I am no longer on flagyl or bentyl. My insurance changed from a PPO to Hmo and I have to visit my GP to get a referral to see my GI. I have an appt already. Blood work was done by the er, they gave me copies, iron levels was ok. I am curios as to what caused the pancreatitis though. Very rarely do I drink and I have never had an issue before.

Hi jenny

Glad that you have joined. Welcome to the family. We can identify with your pain and discomfort. Stay on the meds and eat whatever you are comfortable with.:strawberry:

Hi welcome :)

Even if your iron levels are ok, they should still check your ferritin levels. The iron storage can still be very low even when the iron levels are within normal ranges. That is a possibility of fatigue. I am glad you found the forum!