Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » How many times a day do you go to the bathroom?

08-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
manatee

How many times a day do you go to the bathroom?

I'm going to the bathroom (poopin') about 4-5 times a day with my Crohn's... just curious how I stack up to everyone else out there?

08-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Stuffette

That's isn't too bad. Before Asacol it could be up to 10 times a day. Now I am at about two to three times a day. I don't judge by the frequency. I judge by the type. I know that is gross but that is how I tell how I am doing.
08-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Mazen

I go once or never. I'm of the minority of people with Crohn's who suffer constipation not D.
08-16-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
jjs16

When I'm on Prednisone i go 3-4 times a day medium consistency. When I'm off I can go 6-10 times a day runny and sometimes undigested. I also notice if I'm busy my BM's are not as often or urgent.
08-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
kskitt

i go once or twice a day

[email protected]

Diagnosed with crohns July 2007
Resection September 2009
08-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

I am going about 4 - 6 now, which is GREAT compared to the 10 - 15 recently.
Usually though, it's 3 times before I leave the house, then only 1 during the day, and 2 or 3 before bed. Not TOO bad of a schedule for actually trying to have a life.

It varies by each day, of course.
08-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
katiesue1506

Since Humira only 2-3 times a day...YAY... however used to be like 10
08-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
ltordo

I go once a day Monday thru Friday. (work days)
And 2 to 3 times on Saturday, Sundays, and Holidays.
For some strange reason I have to go more when I am home and relaxed.

Went 15 times a day during my one and only 3 month flare.
I have mostly fistulizing Crohn's, maybe that's why I don't
go that much.
08-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
Ilysha

I go 2-4 times a day during non flare times. Not too bad I guess.
08-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
Kev

My Support Groups:
At my worst? About 20 + times a day.. back then, personal best on a 'good' day was 10 or less... really great day maybe 5.. since then, I've whittled it down to 2 - 3 on a good day, maybe 2 on a great day... and if I flare, it goes up to about 5 or so. The number isn't so much the big deal, although I loathed spending so much time in the bathroom... the big thing for me was the unpredictable nature of nature calls. I hated trying to go out, or going out, only to be hit with sudden, unexpected urges. I also dreaded (and still do) living with the fear of having an 'accident'. esp. in bed...

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
08-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
manatee

Isn't this a wonderful subject to talk about? I'm hoping to have insurance in the near future and am looking forward to getting a prescription as I haven't been on any meds in years. I've thought about going to a regular doctor to explain my situation and maybe get some prednisone...but I doubt they would prescribe it..

USA's health care situation totally sucks... guess I should move to Canada!
08-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
ronyan

I have times when I go once every other day or even less frequently, lately it's been 2-3 times a day.

Wow Kev, I don't think I've ever had to go 20 times a day, that must really be the pits. At worst either 6-7 times with softer stools or once or twice a week with C. I've had more trouble with C for a while now.

Last edited by ronyan; 08-21-2007 at 12:23 PM.
08-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
goblue650

3-4 times a day is normal. 6-8 and runny when I'm acting up. I agree about the consistency comment. That's how I can usually tell how my stomach is faring. Solid means I'm, well, solid. :-)
08-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
DarrylP_Ajax

I am lucky enough to be at once a day
08-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
Dekar

UP to once a day thank god (currently at least), have had terrible chronic C, like worst is every 4 days
08-22-2007, 07:51 AM   #16
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

On a bad day 10-14 times. On a good day 2-5 times.

IF YOU DON'T JUMP YOU WONT EVER LEARN TO FLY

Brittle asthma 1996, Hypothyroidism 1998, Severe Crohns ileitis 2006 , Severe IBS 2007, Inflammatory/Rheumatoid Arthritis 2008, Sebhorreic Eczema and Folliculitis 1992, Roseca, steroid induced acne and Hidradenitis Suppurativa 2008, Multiple allergies and food intolerances diagnosed from 2003. Newly diagnosed fibromyalgia Dec 2009. Newly diagnosed calcific tendonitis Jan 2010. Chronic Pain diagnosed Dec 2010.
08-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #17
Kev

My Support Groups:
Yeah ronyan... 20 + times a day at my worst. however, I was bleeding.. not so much a great deal.. but I think the blood was doing a couple of things.. First, acting like an enema... (I mean, if you forced 1/2 litre or cup of liquid up the rectum, it wouldn't sit there quietly)... Second, it was giving my body the impression that it was full and I felt the urge to go... Literally everything was liquid, and I had a great deal of pain and cramping... and I ended up spending hours a day in the washroom without fail.
Sorry for the grossness of this... I wouldn't want to relive those days for anything..
08-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
Maggie-Muffin

Hello,I gave up counting bathroom trips too depressing.I just go now without thinking about it.I also dread the chance of accident occuring away from home
08-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #19
killerzoey

1 if I'm lucky. I'm more the C type.
08-27-2007, 07:01 AM   #20
Kev

My Support Groups:
Well, altho they say 'ignorance is bliss', when it comes to tracking the symptoms of a chronic illness... you just have to do the math (I avoided saying essential paperwork to avoid any confusion- but it was tempting). Keeping a diary of your food intake, & how your body reacts to it.... and YES, embarrassingly enuff, your bathroom trips and the nature, consistency, frequency, urgency, etc., etc.. is something I consider part of my daily 'fight' against this illness. When I see my GI, and I'm asked how I'm doing, what am I supposed to base that opinion on? How I feel on that particular day? No! I literally (in doing my bit to get me better) have to provide an anecdotal report based on the 'daily' evidence I've seen since my last visit. It's not like I have diabetes and can use a glucometer to see how I'm doing.
The battle is internal, I can't do a 'home scope test', so it really pays to do a count.

that's my personal belief... think to have to 'quantify' how you 'feel' via numbers..
08-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #21
Homew3

5-15 times depending on the day. Remicade hasn't seemed to help yet. Have 3rd infusion next week, and crossing my fingers!
08-28-2007, 08:15 AM   #22
jjs16

Hi Homew3,

Is the Remicade helping in other areas?

J
08-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #23
Homew3

jjs16,
You know, I don't really know if it's working. The only thing that has changed since Remi is my mind is more clear. I was in a fog for sometime, and that seemed to help, but all in all, I actuall feel worse. I now get severe joint aches. I never had that before. I also get sick for a few days after the Remi. This will only be my third infusion, so doc seems to think I will feel much better after this next one? My tummy hurts after everything I eat now(which isn't very much to begin with), which didn't happen as much before either. Can't say its all the Remi, maybe just haven't found what works for me? I understand there are people here that haven't ever had remission, or not had it for a long time. I hope that's not me, but I just don't understand why it's not getting any better?

I am keeping my spirits up though! Doc has me off work right now, so I finally feel like I'm able to focus on getting myself well!
08-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #24
FQ1513

you can easily obtain prednisone, legally, from Mexican pharmacies without a prescription. Many other meds too, and for about 2/3 the price or less that you might pay in the USA.

Medsmex.com is one I have used many times for just that, prednisone. It takes a while to arrive, typically two or as long as three weeks. But it always arrives and the only errors I have encountered was them sending me more than I ordered. I am very comfortable recommending them, I have used them for about five years.

They offer various doses, too. It can be tricky with some of them to translate the drug names (the site is in English but they use the Mexican drug names), but most are pretty easy to do. Prednisone is very easy if it is different at all.

Good luck.

manatee said:
Isn't this a wonderful subject to talk about? I'm hoping to have insurance in the near future and am looking forward to getting a prescription as I haven't been on any meds in years. I've thought about going to a regular doctor to explain my situation and maybe get some prednisone...but I doubt they would prescribe it..

USA's health care situation totally sucks... guess I should move to Canada!
08-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #25
Creepy Lurker

At my worst, I lost count somewhere around 25. It was more.

At my 'best' I managed to not go in two weeks. That was a fun time. I remember being in constant pain (as you would be).

Then one day, I was on a bus that when stationary, vibrated incredibly hard. The most unusual sensation swept down my stomach and I actually felt the blockage jolt forward.

Have you ever seen 2 weeks worth of crap all at once? It's Glorious .

Turns out it was down to iron supplements I was taking.

The moral of the story is this:

The cure for Crohn's is obviously public transport!
09-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #26
Kev

My Support Groups:
Hmmm, obtaining pred from Mexico w/o a prescription 'legally'... I'm not sure about this... Course, I'm in Canada... and a lot of Americans have made it a habit (no pun intended) to source their prescription drugs from us simply because the costs were a lot lower... at least, back in the day when the exchange rates between US$ & CAN$ were so different... However, sourcing/getting something like this and legally holding it can be different. Having prescription drugs in ones possession without a 'valid' prescription CAN be considered a criminal act. (but I'm no lawyer). another concern I would have would be the expiration date of drugs. I wouldn't touch anything where I couldn't see the original expiration date of same AND only in sealed original containers... And God forbid I should mis-translate my order. No, overall, too many risk factors and unknowns for me to try this just to save a buck... And, to Manatee, Canada offers free health care, but this doesn't extend to meds... prescriptions have to be paid for, whether u can afford it or not
09-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #27
keyspug

I am new here and I have lots of questions. I haven't been diagnosed with Crohns, but I had a doctor say that he "thinks I have a little bit of Crohns" and he is going to treat me as if I have it. I have Pyoderma Gangrenosum. It is a horrible skin disease that causes very large and painful ulcers on your legs (sometimes other parts of your body) that are VERY slow to heal. I am told this skin disease usually goes along with Crohns, UC, etc. I had a colonscopy a couple of years ago as well as some kind of test where you drink a lot of this chalky tasting stuff and then they took x-rays to watch the stuff move through my body. Didn't show anything at all. I believe I have Hemmoroids (not diagnosed). I have some bleeding at every BM and my butt stays sore all the time. For the last several months I have started having multiple bms early in the morning. I usually have one as soon as I get up, then once I leave the toilet I almost immediately have to go back for another one. Then sometimes I have several more before I leave to go to work. Then I usually go all day long at work without having anything. But lots of times as soon as I leave work and get to the grocery store or whatever, I usually suddenly have to go. I have on occasion had pains in my ribs on both sides. Sometimes I have a little bit of pain underneath where my navel is. Does this sound like Crohns? I have a sister and nephew who both have Crohns, but it never seems to be a good time to ask any questions because there are always lots of other people around, etc. I was also told that sometimes some of the meds (prednisone, etc.) can "hide" the Crohns when you have a colonscopy. Is this true? I am currently on Methotrexate and I just started Humira one month ago. I just don't if I should try and get an appointment with a GI doc with these symptoms I am having. Anyb advice is greatly appreciated.
09-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #28
Kev

My Support Groups:
Hey Keyspug Welcome to the forum... No one here can diagnose your condition. It's takes a qualified doctor, and typically a GI.. after running tests, etc., to dx Crohns. I suggest that, whatever it is you have, you need to see a GI & get tested ASAP, OK?
It could be crohn's, or UC, CC, or any of various other IBD diseases. It could be IBS. I dunno.. you dunno, no one on here knows.. The bleeding could be from something else... the fact that you are taking drugs for Pyoderma Gangrenosum that are used for CD, UC, CC, etc.. and that your symptoms are getting worse should be a clear & undeniable sign that you NEED a professional diagnosis.
09-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #29
keyspug

Thanks for the info. I know no one can diagnose me here, I was just hoping someone would just say this what they were going through before they were diagnosed, etc. to see if I really do need to see a GI doc. I just don't want to waste my time again if it is nothing - although it sure doesn't seem like nothing. I have made the phone call to the GI doc and they said he is booked up through November. But, I have left a message for his secretary to call me back to see if I can be seen sooner. I can't wait until November. I have also called my sister who has Crohns to ask her about my symptoms to see what she says about it. I am waiting for her to call me back.

From what I have read just on this forum, it does seem that my symptoms are like some type of IB disease.

AGain, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
02-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #30
AuroraBorealisLover

I'm going to the bathroom (poopin') about 4-5 times a day with my Crohn's... just curious how I stack up to everyone else out there?

During my bad times, I can go at least 60 times a day. At least 3 times in an hour. I get so sick and close to passing out. 😓

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » How many times a day do you go to the bathroom?