Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Pradeep Kumar of Austin, Texas

Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM
NameDr. Pradeep Kumar
Address4310 James Casey St., 4A
 Austin, Texas, 78745
 United States
Websitehttp://www.austingastro.com
Phone512-448-4588
BioDiplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
Board Certified in Gastroenterology

Dr. Kumar attended undergraduate studies at Rice University in Houston, Texas. He completed his medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, TX in 1991. He stayed at that institution to complete his internship and residency in internal medicine at Parkland Memorial Hospital and the Dallas VA Hospital. Dr. Kumar trained in gastroenterology at UC San Diego Medical Center and finished in 1998.

Dr. Kumar is board certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. He spent several years in practice in Hawaii before returning home to Texas in 2002. He has practiced in Austin since that time and joined Austin Gastroenterology in 2004.

Dr. Kumar has a special interest in inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). He did a portion of his fellowship training at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, NY, the "birthplace of Crohn's" where the disease was initially described. He is active in the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) serving on the Medical Advisory Board for the Gulf Coast Chapter, giving lectures to patients, and lending a hand in support of their fundraising efforts. Dr. Kumar participates in IBD research helping bring more effective drugs to the market, and he is a speaker for UCB and Astra, which manufacture medication used to treat Crohn's disease and acid reflux.

Dr. Kumar takes a keen interest in public education of health related issues. Dr. Kumar nears the fifth year of his Wednesday morning appearances on FOX 7 Austin Morning News program discussing the health care issues of the day. He was the producer and host of a call-in radio show called The Dr. Kumar Show, which aired from April 2003 until January 2009. The show was recognized by the Texas Medical Association with the Anson Jones MD Certificate of Merit for Physician Excellence in Reporting for the year 2008 for an episode on HIV disease. He has published articles regarding health care in Austin Fit Magazine and the Travis County Medical Society Journal.

Dr. Kumar is fluent in English, French and Tamil.

Education
Rice University
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, M.D., Internal Medicine Internship/Residency
UC San Diego Medical Center, Gastroenterology Fellowship, 1998

Associations
American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Texas Board of Counselors, Annual Meeting Program Chair, 2008
Travis County Medical Society, Committee Member, Past Public Relations Committee Chair
Texas Medical Association
American College of Gastroenterology
American Gastroenterological Association
Texas Indian Physician Society Southwest Chapter, Treasurer, 2008
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA), Gulf Coast Chapter Medical Advisory Board Member
 View Directory Entry
08-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
David
Co-Founder

Dr. Kumar was my doctor when I lived in Austin, TX. He is the one who performed my colonoscopy and ended up diagnosing me with Crohnic Lymphocytic Colitis. While he originally felt I had IBS, that was understandable and I'm ok with him taking a wait and see approach. Once my symptoms continued he gave me a choice of how to proceed which I really liked. I chose colonoscopy and I'm glad I did since LC is only able to be diagnosed via biopsy.

Dr. Kumar is a VERY smart guy and has a good bedside manner. I can tell he really cares about his patients and is confident in his abilities. I felt very comfortable being put under for the colonoscopy knowing I was in his hands.

If you're in the Austin, TX area and need a GI, I would recommend him.

Rating:
4 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable
4 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
4 / 5 Ease of accessibility

Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Pradeep Kumar of Austin, Texas