Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Plantain and Broccoli May Inhibit Crohn's Relapse, Polysorbate 80 May Increase Risks

10-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #31
wildbill_52280

i eat cooked broccoli everyday, because it make's me feel good. perhap sits helping my crohns then too!!

id try eating plantian but i recall there still is a bit of sucrose in those. which is not good for crohn's.
10-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #32
wildbill_52280

polysorbate?heh, inactive in regards to what??

id like to know what ingredient in lialda is worsening and or causing joint pain in me, as it resides when i stop taking it.
10-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #33
mf15

Polysorbate 60/80 a subject dear to my heart as well as all food emulsifiers as well as lecithin. Peg 6/12 in toothpaste,CMC,gums ect.
We also have dishwashing detergents, clothes washing detergents,shampoo and what ever else contains detergents that we can ingest or absorb through the skin/mouth.
Anyway polysorbate is a polyethylene glycol ester or sorbitan.
If it can make it through the stomach without hydrolysis then it can still act as a emulsifier when it hits the small intestine,then help to translocate bacteria.
If it is destroyed in the stomach then there is free PEG,the free peg depending on mol weight can coat food particles/and help them to penetrate the mucus,this may also apply to bacteria. I have a few threads on this.
Of course polysorbate was not around in the 1920'/30's when crohns started to increase but in food lecithin was.
But then again lecithin was not in foods prior to 1920 in England where IBD started to increase around 1900 or so,but saccharin was,also massive air and I guess water pollution, also perhaps the switch from fermented bread to bakers yeast. One of the reasons they perhaps cant figure out IBD is that multiple time varying sources of gut disruption is going on.
Old Mike

Last edited by mf15; 10-11-2013 at 10:49 AM.
10-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #34
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Anytime I don't know how to do something or cook something, I youtube it.
10-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #35
Where in the paper is the dose of broccoli required to give levels above 0.5mg/ml? Surely it can't be that high compared to plantains?

"Likewise, broccoli NSP significantly inhibited bacterial translocation across M-cells in a dose-dependent manner, at concentrations of ≥ 0.5 mg/mL (figure 3B)."

With the plantains it says:

10 g fibre/day would produce NSP concentrations of 10 and 7.5 mg/ml in the caecum and rectum respectively.

Would 10g of broccoli produce similar levels? is there somewhere to find this out?
11-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #36
kiny

Where in the paper is the dose of broccoli required to give levels above 0.5mg/ml? Surely it can't be that high compared to plantains?

"Likewise, broccoli NSP significantly inhibited bacterial translocation across M-cells in a dose-dependent manner, at concentrations of ≥ 0.5 mg/mL (figure 3B)."

With the plantains it says:

10 g fibre/day would produce NSP concentrations of 10 and 7.5 mg/ml in the caecum and rectum respectively.

Would 10g of broccoli produce similar levels? is there somewhere to find this out?
I remember the author said you needed to eat a few trucks full of brocoli to get the same effect as for the plantain.
03-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #37
worriedboy

My Support Groups:
Guys,

I managed to find a plantains sellers ! however, it got me thinking...

1. If I get it right, the good quality of the plantain regarding us crohnies is that it is extermely fibrous; then, on the other hand, won't it be very hard to digest ? many of us do not handle raw fruit/veg very well, especially those that are rich in fibres...
Am I missing something ?

2. Have any of you tried them out ? Did they agree with you ? Have you noticed any improvements ?

any comments and additional info. wil be mich appreciated

Thanks All
03-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #38
David
Co-Founder

Plantains should ALWAYS be cooked.

I personally let them get VERY ripe then cut then into 1/4 inch slices. Coat them in coconut oil and bake them at 8-10 minutes per side.

You can fry them when they are green (google for "tostones") but I personally don't do that.
03-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #39
lbligh

My Support Groups:
We got some plantain flour off Amazon and made some tasty pancakes with them. But my husband is worried about a lectin found in bananas and plantains called banlec. Does anyone here have the technical know-how to assess whether banana lectin could pose a problem for someone with Crohn's?
07-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #40
jjk308

OMG. 99% of various diet theories and recommendations are total @#$%. Most of them are nothing but hobbies or distractions that make you think you are doing something for your health.

So just try some plantains and don't worry, enjoy. I like the frozen sliced ripe "Platanos Maduros" - no worries about ripeness, easy to cook - just cover and heat in a microwave. For some reason they taste really good with the Thai peanut sauce I buy at Target.

Broccoli - YECH. I get acute stomach pains, gas. Avoid at all costs along with cauliflower and brussel sprouts.
07-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #41
lbligh

My Support Groups:
I don't know about 99%, but of course many diet theories are nonsense.

That said, four months ago we started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for the benefit of my daughter, who has Crohn's. We had been trying a lot of different approaches, none of which helped. Within days -- actually TWO DAYS -- all her symptoms were gone. Her bloodwork has gone back to normal. Not barely normal, GOOD normal. She tapered easily off Prednisone and later we dropped all her other meds except for a few vitamins. The word "miracle" is not too strong for how we feel about this diet.

I have changed from completely skeptical about alternative approaches, to the realization that they work for some people. Of course SCD has good science behind it, and that makes a difference (compared, say, with the diet based on foods mentioned in the Bible, or "this herb looks like a human heart so it must be beneficial for heart disease."
07-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #42
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I steam the heck out of broccoli - I eat it all the time.

Can you eat plantain like a banana or does it need more to eat?

I just answered my own question.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
07-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #43
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

Interesting thread as I am 100% pro-nutrition and 100% anti-artificial food... vegetables and fibers are protective of disease and many different types of cancers and I encourage everyone to eat them as much as possible.

One little thing about plaintain... Plantain contains a high amount asparagine, a amino acid that when cooked above 120 degree celcius, transforms with Maillard reaction into Acrylamids, glycotoxins which are pro-inflammatory or cancerogenic. Few other vegetables like corn and potatoes also have the same problem and must be cooked at low temperature to minimize acrylamid formation. To avoid acrylamid formation in these specific vegetables and fish or meat, it is best to boild them on stove top, as water cant go over 100 Celcius.

here is some general explanation about asparagine on wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asparagine

and about acrylamids : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylamide

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
07-06-2014, 04:05 AM   #44
sid

I am sorry for this really silly question..but i dont know what is a plantain ? I googled and I see unripe bananas. is it the same?

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Plantain and Broccoli May Inhibit Crohn's Relapse, Polysorbate 80 May Increase Risks