• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I finally found out what was wrong with me!

Hi my name is Melissa, I live in Naples, FL I am a 38 year mom of 3 teenage boys and help my husband with his Air Conditiong Business.
I have been experiencing severe stomach pains, nausea and vomiting for many years, I went to several doctors a few ER visits and never no one ever knew what was wrong with me. So this summer it all came to a head. I had been very ill all spring and into early summer, buy the end of June I dropped from 135 lbs to 110 lbs I was unable to eat and if I tried it didnt stay down I was in very poor condition severe malnutrition and dehydration so one evening after finding me in the bathroom vomiting my husband finally dragged me to the ER where I was admitted and spent 7 days in the hospital on antibotics...I was released with the diagnosis of "stump appendicitis" after several other dr visits, 3 more CT Scans, two ER visits, I was in so much pain and again severly dehydrated I was finally sent to see a Colon/Rectal Surgeon (Dr Vernava) who did a colonoscopy and one more CT Scan then on August 10th I had sugery and part of my colon removed. My Surgeon says Pathology results from the mass show severe Chron's, and has reffered me to a GI and I see him today. I am SO glad I finally know whats wrong with me but I am terrified its going to come back, and with no health insurance I am not sure about the quality of healthcare we will be able to afford we are offically in the poor house with TONS of medical bills

Sorry to hear you have been through so much. All of us here can relate. I was 39 when I finally got a diagnosis even though I had started trying to figure it out when I was 23. Be sure you educate yourself about crohn's and how to stay as health as you can. You have made a good start by getting on this website and seeking help from those who have been where you now are. My best advise is to be kind to yourself. It can be hard to understand why you of all the people you know had to come down with this disease. It can be hard on those who love you too. One of my children once asked me to do something and I had to tell her I didn't feel well enough to go and her comment to me was "you never feel good". As hard as the disease has been on me its hardest when it impacts the ones you love, especially your children. Remember you didn't do anything wrong to get crohns it just happens to some of us. I have learned to truly appreciate the good days and make the most of them. Try not to be hard on yourself when you are not feeling well.
Look until you find the best gastroenterologist you can. Your doctor will be a much needed partner in helping guide you through your next phase of crohns disease. Read everything you can so you can make the best choices. Now that you know what you have you will learn how to adapt some parts of your life.

Keeps us posted and remember you are not alone.
Best wishes,
M

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Melissa and welcome. I am sorry about your recent diagnosis. But at least you got some answers!

Having no health insurance is not a good thing with a chronic illness. You really need to be on medication to get the inflammation under control and to prevent future flare ups. Unfortunately, some can be pricey if you are paying out of pocket. Hopefully your doctors can direct you on how you can get some assistance.

Let us know how your appointment goes today.

Astra

Hiya Melissa
and welcome

I'm not familiar with your system but I hope you get some assistance towards meds.
Good luck with your appt, let us know how you get on
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

First, let me say Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! As soon as I found this forum I read many stories and it all clicked I was like OMG 15 years and it all makes sense now!

Today's Dr visit was a very good one! The Dr is doing a Study and I am probably going to do this study. I have some material to read and the dr wants to look closer at the pathology report. The study is getting a dose of remicade/placbo every 8 weeks for 3 years and being closely monitered...since it is a clinical study this will be at no cost to me.

Ian

Hi and welcome!

I'm sorry you're having insurence troubles on top of everything else, but a trial at no cost sounds great. I hope you get the Remicade instead of the placebo, it's good stuff! Is it one of these trials where if you get the placebo and show no response, they'll eventually give you the actual drug?

Good luck with everything :).