Share Facebook

09-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
Tina

Hair loss?

Alrighty.... I'm having major issues and I think it's because of Imuran. I quit taking it about a week ago... and now my dang hair is falling out. I wake up in the mornings with gobs of it on my sheets, and handfuls when I get out of the shower. I've read about the side effects of being ON Imuran, but I'm OFF of it. Why don't companies tell about those side effects?

Has anyone else stopped the Imuran and had hair loss? I've called my doctor and he's supposed to call me back. I really don't know what else it could be. I'm not stressed. I've been feeling so much betterr now that I've had a Remicade infusion! I just don't want to go bald!!!

Last edited by Tina; 09-04-2007 at 09:34 PM.
09-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
Kev

My Support Groups:
Hi Tina.. Welcome to the forum. sorry about the hair loss issue. I was also on Imuran... was allergic to it, suffered severe pains in legs & back, broke out in a rash that covered those areas. Anyway, long story short, I had to come off it, and the pains went away in 2 - 3 days, but the rash took much longer to fade.
I didn't have any hair loss, but in my case, I would have welcomed it, as my hair is way too thick. I haven't heard of this side effect before, but maybe someone else has. Are you taking any other medications besides Imuran?

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
09-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
vickyoddsocks
wears odd socks

Since ive had crohns ive noticed massive hair loss. I used to have really thick 'unruley' hair, but now its quite thin and flat. I'm not too sure what imuran is but i put mine down to a number of things; Steroids, azathioprine, anemia, and just generally being unwell. I suppose i was fortunate to have thick hair in the first place else i might have non left now! lol! I doesnt tend to fall out anymore now, but has never grown back to what it was. Hope that helps!
X
09-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
katiesue1506

Tina...

Hi! I used to be on Imuran like you, and I lost a TON of hair. I stopped taking it about 4 months ago, and I've noticed a slowing in the hair loss, but I'm definitely still losing. However, like I said, when I was on Imuran... it was HUGE hair loss.... GOBS OF IT. After Imuran, I went on to Remicade... I did that for about two months, and now I'm on Humira. So I'm not quite entirely sure whether those rugs contribute to my hair loss now... but I was also told that after coming off of Imuran, it would take several months to get rid of the side effects. Hope that helps!
09-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Brando

these drugs are a type of chemotherapy. have you ever heard of people losing their hair when on chemo for cancer? the reason is that the medicine targets certain cells in the body to kill, some of which include stomach cells, intestinal cells, and hair follicle cells. these particular types of cells are easily susceptible to being killed by the chemo and because the imuran has a build up effect in the body, it sits there for months and continues regulating these cells which can in turn lead to hair loss.
09-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
DanSJVDavis

Might take a while for the hair loss side effect of Imuran to wear off, but you should definitely tell your doctor about it either way.

Hair loss was just one of the many reasons I never started Imuran, against my doctor's suggestion. The other was my family history of cancer. I read the possible side effects and didn't think it'd be a good thing to take with the history of cancer in my family.

I Was A Middle Age Writer, my blog on my journey toward becoming a published novelist.

Podunkville FX Pics
Podunkville FX
And here's my MySpace Profile: Dan Davis of Podunkville FX MySpace
09-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Ilysha

I had something similar happen with Prednisone. My hair started falling out about 2 months after I stopped taking it. My hair dresser said he sees that happen quite often with Prednisone. I suppose it could be the same for Imuran as well.

Nioxin shampoo and conditioner work incredibly well to help it grow back quickly. You should be able to get it at any good beauty supply store.
09-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Wiles

I've lost quite a bit of hair too. I used to have thick long hair, now I'm considering cutting it all off because it's getting so thin. I'm on Immuran at the moment.
12-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
TammySue62

My Support Groups:
Well I'm not on Imuran nor have I ever been and my hair constantly falls out. Some days more then others.Now I just don't bother brushing only when I wash it.Which is every 5 days and in between I use just cream rinse to slow down the hair loss. My hairdresser said that you shouldn't wash your hair every day because you wash out some kind of chemicals that your hair needs.No your hair dosen't look or feel greasy from cream rinse.
Still my hair falls out. I think its a Crohn's thing and being on pred.

Tammy

HAVE HAD CROHN'S DISEASE FOR 30 YEARS AND STILL GOIN
12-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #10

me too

although until reading this thread just now, i didnt connect my hair loss to crohns or predsol. i've spent the last few months wondering if its my imagination that my hair is thinner than usual - but i am sure it is now.. and the shower plug confirms this. i assumed if anything, it was due to me just being run-down and not too well. thanks for this thread all of you, even after 20 odd years since diagnosis, i am still learning about crohns and its 'delights'...
01-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
ccarp001

i am on Immuran, and my hair has thinned. i have probably 70% of what i used to. however, the good news is that, for me at least, the hair loss reached a certain point, and stayed there. i am NOT slowly going bald, as people do on chemo.
06-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
avaifyseapy

I'm honourable wondering, but does anyone else undergo that [Content edited by moderator] are cast-off to reveal the total these days?
For an overactive stripling Ridallin is like a nessessity...I believe that our enlightenment revolves far too much about drugs. Does anyone from any thoughts into this topic?

[Content edited by moderator]

NOTE: Embedded links have been edited by moderator Kev. Anyone wishing to obtain this info is asked to PM the poster.

Last edited by Kev; 06-10-2008 at 03:14 PM.
06-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #13

avaifyseapy said:
I'm honourable wondering, but does anyone else undergo that [Content edited by moderator] are cast-off to reveal the total these days?
For an overactive stripling Ridallin is like a nessessity...I believe that our enlightenment revolves far too much about drugs. Does anyone from any thoughts into this topic?

[Content edited by moderator]

re: your link - it is a treatment for Asthma. i'm wondering if you may be in the wrong forum

Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2008 at 07:21 PM.
06-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
vickyoddsocks
wears odd socks

Does anyone know if it grows back if we stop imuran and/or infliximab?? I really hope it does!!!!!!!!
06-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
katiesue1506

Mine has grown back... I have a full head of hair now and I'm no longer losing it.
06-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #16
katiesue1506

Oh... and I feel like I just read a post from someone with schizophrenia when I read avaifyseapy's post.
06-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #17
vickyoddsocks
wears odd socks

yey! Thats good to know!
06-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #18

katiesue1506 said:
Oh... and I feel like I just read a post from someone with schizophrenia when I read avaifyseapy's post.
06-11-2008, 02:42 AM   #19
BWS1982

Ditto KatieSue, perhaps with a smidge of dissociative disorder thrown in for our own added confusion.

-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in Sept. 2006, currently 28 years old

"Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."

"Men with Spartan lives, simple in their creature comforts, if only to allow for the complexity of their passions." -The X-Files, S4
06-11-2008, 02:45 AM   #20
Jeff D.

^^^^
06-12-2008, 02:37 AM   #21
karl

yeah, i just kind of noticed that mine is falling out today. i've been taken pred for about a month and aza for about 2 months.

its alright, i knew it would fall out eventually. it runs in my family anyways and i'm a geek - so being bald is the norm
06-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #22
vickyoddsocks
wears odd socks

and i'm a geek - so being bald is the norm[/QUOTE]

LOL!
06-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #23
SophieL

I've been on aza for 3 months and haven't noticed any drastic hairloss, no clumps coming out in any case, but certainly my hair feels thinner than it used to. Might just be because I know it's a common side effect though.

From what I've been told, the hair loss is a mixture of being immunosuppressed and simply having an autoimmune disease which will take a lot out of you in any case.
06-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #24
Kittee

My hair has been falling out too, and I'm sad. I have long hair past my bottom though. =(
08-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #25
meardonna

well i thought it was the pentasa causing my hair loss, I'm obviously wrong! must be ta mixture of this horrible diease and the constant doses of pred
08-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #26
dustydshook

Mine started falling out at the onset of the crohns disease the only thing that slowed it down was the Pentasa now that I am off the pentasa it is falling out again like crazy. I think it may just be the disease.

I honor the place in you where the whole universe dwells and I honor that place in me. When you are in that place and I am in that place, we are one.

Namaste

The light that is within me bows to the light that is within you.
05-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #27
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
One of the most common causes of hair loss in crohns ( and thr general population but more prevalent in crohns due to chronic blood loss and inflammation and poor absorption) is ferritin deficiency(iron). Even if your levels are borderline low it causes hair loss . It should be 70 or above to allow hair regrowth.

On Humira every 7 days, intermittent iv iron, regular blood transfusions :faint:
On TPN since March 2016.
05-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #28
guest23

I have a co-worker whose hair grows unbelievably fast. One day I asked her about it and she said that the secret is to take pre-natal vitamins. Then I remembered when I was expecting, that my hair was the longest it has ever been. I took her advice, and was surprised to see how fast my hair suddenly grew. I'm not an expert - but just wanted to share that. Another co-worker just tried it and the same thing happened with her.
05-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #29
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
Most Prenatal vitamins contain iron.
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #30
Gutsy

My hair fell out from high doses of Asacol about 2 months after being on max dosage (4800 mg daily,) slowly reduced to 800 mg daily, started growing back within about 3 months and looks better than before, don't give up hope!