• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Chrones

Hi everyone,

Holy Cow, am I ever happy to have found this site. I have spent the last while reading stories and I feel so connected. Yay! Someone knows how I feel!
I have had a heck of a time with my health. Seems like one thing ahfter another. Started when I was 15 with chronic pancreatitus, then diagnosed with anklyosing spandilitus in my early 30s, then of course, diagnosed with Chrones last month. I was told that my AS was connected to the Chrones.
I was so sick for the whole month of July. Lost over 20lbs, ( im small to begin with), was in hospital twice, and during this whole fiasco, i got aratheum nodosym and my ankle swelled like a balloon. blaaaaaaaa

After all the fun tests diagnosis was made and I was put on prednisone and Asacol.

Thats my story. I wont go on anymore cause i coud write pages! haha

But, on a positive note, I do want to say that I will be visiting here regularly. From what I have already read today, i am amazed by the support and great, helpful information.

Take care!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Another Canadian girl! Yes, Crohn's is not an easy disease to detect. Some people here still havent and still fighting to get a diagnosis! It took like 1.5 years of testing and hospital visits before I got diagnosed. There are so many side effects to this disease but we have to hope for the best, we don't get them all at once... It makes you suffer a little bit at a time lol. Prednsione does work but as soon as you get down to 20mg the symptoms could come back, but hopefully the Asacol will have kicked in. I have never been on Asacol, just Pentasa in that type of drug. Pred is a bone eater so make sure you have enough calcium and Vitamin D3 to help absorb it. Most believe lack of Vitamin D is the reason we get crohns. Canada has the highest incidence of Crohns. If you need support, there could be a chapter in your area... check out CCFC.ca, they can direct you. Support means alot and we are here to help each other out, because we fully understand. Glad you are here!!! Join us crazy people lol.

ameslouise

Hi Natalie and welcome!

Looks like you have your medical plate full! But AS and Crohn's are not an uncommon combo. I hope the Asocol and pred do the trick for you. Hopefully you can get it in check and don't need anything stronger than the Asocol. There's tons of info here on different meds and treatments.

Glad you found us - keep coming back!! - Amy

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome Natalie! I am so sorry that you had such a difficult time in July. I sure hope you are doing better now after starting your medication. Have you noticed an improvement?

I look forward to seeing you around!

Welcome Natalie! I am so sorry that you had such a difficult time in July. I sure hope you are doing better now after starting your medication. Have you noticed an improvement?

I look forward to seeing you around!
Hi and thanks,

yes, I am feeling quite a bit better. The doctor has me weening off the prednisone, and so far I am eating everything. Nothing is bothering me at all!!!
But, I am sure that will change and my diet will need to be adjusted at some point. I am a bit confused about that but I am going to take it all in stride.

Looking forward to seeing you around as well, and thanks again for the welcome. I have really had noone to talk to about this. I could spend all day on here reading and chatting. I am learning so much!!
smile!!!!

:welcome: Another Canadian girl! Yes, Crohn's is not an easy disease to detect. Some people here still havent and still fighting to get a diagnosis! It took like 1.5 years of testing and hospital visits before I got diagnosed. There are so many side effects to this disease but we have to hope for the best, we don't get them all at once... It makes you suffer a little bit at a time lol. Prednsione does work but as soon as you get down to 20mg the symptoms could come back, but hopefully the Asacol will have kicked in. I have never been on Asacol, just Pentasa in that type of drug. Pred is a bone eater so make sure you have enough calcium and Vitamin D3 to help absorb it. Most believe lack of Vitamin D is the reason we get crohns. Canada has the highest incidence of Crohns. If you need support, there could be a chapter in your area... check out CCFC.ca, they can direct you. Support means alot and we are here to help each other out, because we fully understand. Glad you are here!!! Join us crazy people lol.
Thank you so much! I had no idea about the prednisone. I am weening off it now, so I guess I will have to watch out for symptoms coming back..boo..Ive been taking 8 asacol a day and the doctor tells me that I will be taking these for the rest of my life. I hope they conntinue to work after the prednisone is gone.. What a crazy disease. So many people here have so many different symptoms..its very eye opening. Its very important that we live life to the full everyday!!!!!!!!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am glad you are doing better, Natalie! And that is great news you are able to eat what you want without issue.

When I was first diagnosed, I spent HOURS on the forum reading and posting (I sometimes still do...hehe). I learned so much from this place. I am glad you are finding it just as helpful.

Welcome to the forum and you are right alot of nice people here. In regards to the picture;

Click UserCP at the top tab (New Posts, Search, Quick Links, User CP, FAQ, etc)

Click Edit Avatar on the left side of the screed

You can use from a site like photobucket or you can upload a photo but it must be smaller than 100by100 pixels (may have to use paint or some other shrinking software to get it there).

Hope that helps and good luck with it.

Wesley

HI Natalie, and welcome to the forum , your right there is alot of people like you and this forum is very supportive. i have had crohn's for 21 years now and i am on asacol and it has worked wonders for me. i hope it does the same job with you. I am sorry it took all these years to get a diagnosis but don't let it rule your life. There is always around it eat healthy and exercise and make sure you get your blood levels checked especially for vitamin B12 and Iron defiencies. Because this could cause fatigue. Take good care of yourself and best wishes:)

scott

David

Co-Founder
Hi Natalie, a most sincere welcome to you. I'm pleased that you found your way here :)

I've been reading about Ankylosing Spondylitis a bit lately and yes, it's not that uncommon (about 5% of people with CD get it). I started a thread here asking if we should start a subforum for it and its specific issues, feel free to chime in there.

Again, welcome. I look forward to seeing you around the forum :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ok down boys, yes she is hot lol...remember she is one of us lol. ;)

You will get alot of support here, it is so important, most outsiders dont have a clue what we go through, and negative people are best to avoid. Some of us do well from day to day, others suffer. No one really knows why, if they did there would be a cure by now ;).

Ask away, we dont know everything but someone out there has the same symptoms and side effects you do, there are a lot of Canadians here. Canada has the highest incidence of crohns in the world...ah so nice to be famous. NOT.

Welcome again glad you found us!

Welcome to the forum natalie :) id have somethin to say but its already been covered. Anyway youve come to the right place :)

Good morning,

Thanks so much for looking into AS info. My rheumatologist told me the AS and Chrones were directly related, and I was surprised at your findings. I am going to click on the link you've offered. I have found it difficult for the past 2 months because, I take enbrel for my AS. @ shots a week. It has completely taken away the symptoms. I no longer have pain, I can walk normally again, oh, an NO MORE PAIN KILLERS!!! I was living on those things. NOT GOOD.

Ive been on Enbrel for over two years and living life to the full again. Then I got sick at the beginning of July. Afetr the hospital visits, the testing, etc and a colonoscopy, I was diagnosed, and apparently in deep kaka. Cat scan showed total inflammation. Surgeon put me on prednisone, and because I am taking these, I havent been able to take my enbrel. Apparently, you cannot mix those meds. Now, many weeks later, I am weening of the pred, but am flaring up in my back. Pain has arrived . This scares me. What is my future going to be like?
Ive read on here about individuals who take prednisone on and off. What if I also need to do this? It will really throw a screw into my other treatment.

blaaahh..sorry, im going on ..but I am frustrated. I think more so today because I am in pain.

Anyways..thanks so much everyone!!

Ok down boys, yes she is hot lol...remember she is one of us lol. ;)

You will get alot of support here, it is so important, most outsiders dont have a clue what we go through, and negative people are best to avoid. Some of us do well from day to day, others suffer. No one really knows why, if they did there would be a cure by now ;).

Ask away, we dont know everything but someone out there has the same symptoms and side effects you do, there are a lot of Canadians here. Canada has the highest incidence of crohns in the world...ah so nice to be famous. NOT.

Welcome again glad you found us!
Thanks so much!!