• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Speedy passage after eating

I've had Crohns for 25+ years now and have had LOTS of my small intestine and large intestine removed. I now have an Ileostomy which makes life a little easier but because of 'frequency', eating is now a problem. Within 20 minutes of eating, a sandwich for instance, my system empties itself which can take up to 15 minutes and is quite unpleasant and painful. I've been told by my surgeons that due to the quantities of adhesions resulting from previous surgery, there is no chance of any further surgery to improve my quality of life.
This must sound like a massive winge but I'm simply stating the facts.
I take imodium like sweeties, colofac, codeine phosphate, Asacol( I can't take Pentasa, it gives me migraines) and am also on anti depressants.Lots of supplements and anti-histamine which helps with skin sores. Life is difficult. Luckily I love my home and have a wonderful husband so don't worry too much about being housebound. I take our two dogs out for 30 minutes midday but that's pretty much it.
Diet is high in bread, potatoes pasta & fish but is very boring. Is there anyone out there who can relate to this and advise me? Any suggestions or understanding replies would mean a lot. I'm new here so please be gentle!!!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Paddy!! It sounds like the ultimate case of short bowel syndrome! DustyKat's daughter discovered using natural psyllium husk supplement really helped with her sbs. Dusty could tell you much more! Good luck!

I've got to stay off fibre...just carbohydrates. Sounds wonderful but I'd kill for a nice salad...
Sorry to hear your family's news. You're obviously a very dedicated Mum and in this day and age, there are fewer than there should be. Love to you all x

Last edited: